Shared with us this morning

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrachelle87, May 11, 2010.

1. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 11, 2010

DID YOU KNOW?

82 percent of districts nationwide will cut or eliminate education jobs in 2010-11 and 53 percent will freeze hiring. Based on these survey results, the American Association of School Administrators (AASA) estimates that the national total for education jobs cuts will be 275,000 in 2010-11, representing 92 percent of the 300,000 jobs saved by ARRA. Additionally, every 100,000 education jobs lost translates into roughly 30,000 jobs lost in other sectors due to reduced spending by schools and those laid off. Collectively then, 275,000 education job cuts will translate into an additional 82,000 job losses in other sectors, bringing the total job losses to 357,000.

This was sent out in our association newsletter this morning. A little scary when you think about how education ties into the rest of the economy.

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

May 11, 2010

A local education store closed because he said not only do teachers not have money to spend but local districts were going to canned curriculum they bought directly from the publishers and were postponing buying textbooks. He let employees go, moved to a cheaper location but finally just had to close. Very sad. We aren't taking field trips like we used to, Scholastic said book sales from our area are way down, we aren't replacing equipment, we didn't renew a lease on some copy machines, we are putting off construction improvements, etc. etc. You are right - there is definitely a trickle down effect.

4. Major

Major Connoisseur

May 11, 2010

These are rough times..for education and everyone else...

The U.S national debt is approaching $13 Trillion... (that's 13 followed by 12 zeros)....:eek::eek:

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 11, 2010

We have cancelled all field trips next year. We also have cut supply lists way down. We will have 8 or so positions not refilled next year. Our sports teams are cutting back on games. Our academic teams are not going to as many competitions. It is getting worse. I am scared for some of our teachers.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 11, 2010

It is definately scary to be in education & to send kids to school with so many cut backs.

Mrachelle... are your class sizes going to increase as well!!!

7. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

May 11, 2010

It's a good time to be in school right now... but I'm afraid I'm spending all my time on a career that I won't be able to enter due to the way things are right now. Scary!

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 11, 2010

Our classes will get a little larger. Our Supt. and Principal are working hard to keep it down. We have applied and received a reduction in class size grant, which will help. We also will be working with less supplies. We are not planning on having as many Pre-K teachers next year. That means some "younger" kids might be turned away. Our school is trying to take the hit in the upper grades if possible. It won't hurt my class size because of the way my class is set up.

9. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

May 12, 2010

I truly believe it's cyclic. Baby boomer teachers will be retiring within the next ten years. But that doesn't take away from the frustrations of trying to get hired or retain a job right now. Have we hit bottom yet?