Shared Spaces

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Sep 12, 2018.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 12, 2018

Since I'm a "special" I share my classroom with the before/after school program. Before school started, the specials teacher in the room next door came in and unloaded about the situation to me. It was a bizarre situation. I'm brand new to the district, I'd never met her before and she came in and started ranting right off. :peace:

Anyway, over the weeks since school started, I'm seeing her point. It's difficult. Their shit is everywhere. It looks more like a preschool room than the tech room its supposed to be. I don't know what their classroom management is like, so I put everything away at the end of my day. I did notice something that made me laugh, though. They actually wrote their program name on "their" tissue boxes. I had a bizarre conversation with the secretary before school started and she laid down the law about how she only issues one box at a time. As opposed as I am to spending my own money on the classroom, I did buy a few boxes to stick in the closet . Apparently I walked into a school with a major tissue issue! :rolleyes: Who knew?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 12, 2018

Does your neighbor share a room with the before/after school program, too?

4. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Sep 12, 2018

Yes. For the last few years. She's fed up.

I came from a situation where I had to share and it wasn't great, but since there's nothing I can do about it, I can't see expending a lot of emotion. You have to change the way you do things. At one point, I had sticker reward charts up. I'd come back the next day to find the stickers moved around, and the kids would get really upset. I switched to using stamps to mark the rewards. I've also had personal things stolen. I no longer leave anything in the room not provided by the district. The difference is that at my old school, they were told the school day programs take precedence. At this school, the afterschool program seems to believe we're the interlopers.