Share your tips for being a calm driver!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Oct 19, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 19, 2009

What helps you relax while you drive if you're feeling tense from the day or what's going on in your life?

I know finding the right music, comedian, or audio sermon helps me depending on my mood.

3. Ross

Ross Comrade

Oct 19, 2009

No other cars on the road.

Sadly, it rarely happens.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2009

There's not much I find relaxing while driving. Perhaps if there is a gentle rain. I have a decent drive to and from work which provides uninterrupted reflection time, which is certainly good.

I sing shamelessly when I drive, and I suppose that tends to help...not so much relax but get my mind off whatever is troubling me.

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Oct 19, 2009

Ride a bike to work.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2009

I wish I lived close enough to walk or bike to work. It's exactly thirty curvy, hilly miles. Just not practical for me.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 19, 2009

Music always helps me - I try to listen to calming music, praise music, or an interesting sermon on the radio while driving. I have the Bible on CD and that certainly helps!

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Oct 19, 2009

Okay, thanks for reminding me Bonne about those! I'll go find some of my Bible cds/sermons for this week.

9. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 19, 2009

Great! When I get in the car in the morning, I think, "Ok Lord, what do you want to tell me this morning?" Then I either listen to KLOVE or Tony Evans, who cracks me up besides setting me straight. The song or speaker very often is addressing something I am struggling with . . . funny huh?

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 19, 2009

- Listening to soothing music

- Sipping something refreshing would be nice!

11. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Oct 21, 2009

Listening to great music with a caramel frappuccino from Starbuck's always calms any situation down for me. Also listening to spoken word does the trick.

12. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 21, 2009

I don't like being in cars (obviously speaking as a passenger here).

I can't stand being in a car longer than 10 minutes. Usually I walk to and from work and only get a ride from my wife in inclement weather.

Good music and being in the front seat makes the ride a bit smoother.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2009

I'm not an angry person. I don't drive angry because I'm generally in a good frame of mind.

That said, I do have a dent and a ding in my car because of 2 instances last year of driving while very upset.

Moral to the story:
    No matter how long it takes, do NOT turn on that car until you're composed. I don't care if you're sitting there for an hour, crying or yelling or whatever, do NOT turn on that car!!!

Luckily for me, both times I hit objects that weren't moving: a parked car and a concrete column. I've been driving since 1975 and they're the only 2 things I've ever hit.

14. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Oct 21, 2009

I'm not a really angry person by nature, but sometimes other drivers do get to me. Driving for me is a nice quiet time and I can reflect a little bit. I like to listen to praise and worship music as a drive (I like Chris Tomlin, Hillsong United and Steven Curtis Chapman).

Another thought is when someone does something in traffic (or in life) that makes you angry, instead of blowing up, take a second and go "I wonder what happened to him/ her to make him/ her act that way?" I was reading a book about purity and it gave a prayer that I think could be used anytime you're dealing with an adversarial person:

God, I know you love this person, that You died for them and that You desire a relationship with them. I pray that if they don't know you, you'll reveal yourself to them so they can know you for eternity.

It goes on to pray for their spouses and family, but I think it's a good way to chill out. If God forgives and loves them, who am I to be angry.

15. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 22, 2009

Lately, I have been thinking about Ms. I's post about this being exactly where God wants me at this exact moment.

However, sometimes I forget but with how beautiful the scenery is on my new route I can distract myself by admiring the beauty. When it is snowy and awful out I will miss my new route. So I need to enjoy it while I can! It helps that my new route is not heavily traveled so I can usually stop and look if something catches my eye.

Monday was one day I was actually just enjoying the scenery on my way home and was going around this insane curve and out of the corner of my eye I saw one of our newly arrived troops holding his sons hand in their driveway.

16. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 22, 2009

:agreed:

Excellent advice, Alice! Both times I was in a car accident (luckily minor ones) the driver was in an emotional state while driving.