Share Your Student Work Organization Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 11, 2009.

1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 11, 2009

Here's one.

This year I got 3" binders for each student, which I kept on a shelf (so they did not get wrecked in their desks). They also had pocket-folders for Spelling and Writer's Workshop. They had IKEA book boxes for independent and group reading books. When they finished any work and it was graded, I put it in one basket. Now and then the kids would pass back the finished/graded work and put it in the 3" binder (they had tabs for each subject to organize it). When conferences came around, they could choose three pieces of work for me to share with their parents to either show their skills or show their growth. At the end of the year, they took their two pocket folders and everything from the 3" binder into the (emptied) book boxes to take home. I put their class numbers on the spine of the 3" binders so I can use them year after year.

3. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jun 12, 2009

Each of our students has a personal folder on our school network where they save any work they do through the year. I show them how to create folders inside their folder and we label them Science, Social Studies, English, etc... When they save their work it goes into their folder, then the folder for that specific subject. This helps keep everything neat and organized. I also stress the importance of saving things in two places...on the network and on their memory stick!

4. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2009

Wow, these are great ideas -- TeacherShelly, which book boxes from Ikea do you use?

5. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

My students have a green "take home" folder and a blue "unfinished work" folder. They keep both in their desks at all times, and at the end of every day they clean all their completed work out of their green folder and pack it in their backpack. Any work they don't finish in class they put in their blue (unfinished work) folder and can pull out and work on another time.

I keep all my student work in hanging file folders in the filing cabinet next to my desk. I file the work myself.

My students also have writing journals, science journals and problem-solving journals in their desks.

I've considered buying binders for each of my students next year and having them keep all of their folders and journals in the binder - it would help keep them organized. However, they'd have to store them in their desks because I don't have a lot of other space for storage in the classroom.

6. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 13, 2009

We used binders this past year for reading work, and I found it really difficult with first graders. I have some kids who were just so rough on their papers and they would tear out of the binders. Also, some of the kids consistently got pinched fingers in the binder rings.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 13, 2009

Missy, these IKEA magazine boxes. They are $3 for 5, so I let them decorate them and keep them at the end of the year.

8. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jun 15, 2009

How wide are the magazine files? I was thinking of getting some for each of my students to keep their folders, workbooks, and notebooks in at their seats. We don't have desks so storage is a problem. They keep books in cubbies. Some teachers use milk crates, but I think it looks tacky with crates sitting all over the floor. Thanks for the idea!! And they're cheap!

9. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 15, 2009

They're not that wide, maybe 3"? And they are cardboard, so they wouldn't stand up to use (aka abuse) by kids all year long.

I agree milk crates look cluttered.

I'm going to have each kid bring an accordion file with compartments inside. They will file their unfinished work to do during a work period (or take home).

10. amethyst24

amethyst24 Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

I use the accordian file and LOVE it. It keeps everything neat and organized, and it only take a minute for the kids to put their papers away in the correct compartment. After wew finish a unit, I have students empty their compartment for that subject so it doesn't get too full. I'm definitely going to continue using them in the future :)