Share your homework policy, please!

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Mrs. Mom, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 22, 2007

I am returning to work Monday after missing the beginning of school due to maternity leave. I let the sub decide how he wanted to handle missing assignments, which may not have been a good thing but honestly, he did VERY LITTLE work while I was out so, whatever. Now, I need a strong homework policy. In years past I kept kids in at recess to complete missing assignments, but I have to run home every day this year to take care of issues related to breastfeeding my baby. So I will not be available to keep them in. If I assign something one day, it is always due at 8:15 the next day (unless it is an extended project). The fifth grade teacher gives a zero if it is not turned in, but keeps them in at recess to finish it. Is that too strict for my 4th graders? Does anyone deduct a percentage of the points, for example if it is not done on time it automatically gets 10% off, then maybe 25% or 50% off if it is not turned in by the end of the day? Please share your policies!!

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 22, 2007

My school's homework policy is that the assignment (daily homework) is turned in on the day that it is due or it is done in detention that afternoon. If it is not completed that day it is recorded as a zero and there is no chance to make up the work. It also has to be turned in to my mailbox before the student leaves for the day. If they take home a detention assignment and turn it in the next day it is a zero. Long term projects have a full letter grade deducted for each day that it is late.

My class has figured out that I do not check in their homework until 11:00 when they go to French, so they have morning recess to finish anything that isn't done. I have never specifically said they could do this, but I don't say anything when one of them takes their books to recess. I like that they are taking responsibility and trying to solve the problem on their own.

4. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Sep 22, 2007

Ok, I've been debating and here's what I came up with. Assignments are due at 8:15 the next morning. If it is not done, automatically 10% (or should I do 25%?) of the grade will be deducted. The student has until 8:15 the next morning to turn it in without further penalization....I will grade whatever is turned in at that point. If it is not turned in at all, it is a zero. How's that?

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 22, 2007

I'd do 25%. That will make a significant difference in the grade and may encourage them to get the work in on time. I would also put both percentages on the paper...what they would have received if the work had been on time and what they are getting now since it was late.

Can you send home the papers for a parent signature so their families are aware that their grades are being lowered for late work?

6. Mrs.Watson

Mrs.Watson Guest

Oct 3, 2007

This is a real struggle in my room. This is my first year at 4th grade so I decided to follow the other teacher's policy in my room - we departmentalize so I thought consistency would be a good thing. If an assignment is not done when it is due, the kids have to sign a homework log and put a late sticker on their paper. If they complete the work and get a parent to sign the sticker, they are eligible for half credit.

So far this has been a nightmare. There is so much late work, the policy doesn't seem to be a deterrent, and it can be quite a bit of recordkeeping for me. I would love to hear what other people are doing - maybe I can change things for the next grading period.

7. prek176

prek176 Companion

Oct 4, 2007

Coming from a preschool atmosphere, it seemed very harsh to me to abide by the "No homework, you get a zero policy" instituted by the other 4th grade teacher. I make mistakes and have children of my own so know that things sometimes happen. I give the kids 10 points off and mark the paper late so that the parent is aware. The child has to stay in at recess to redo the paper. They also have to bring the paper they forgot in to school the next day-after all they told me they had done it. I almost never have kids forget homework but for some reason one day there were 3 kids who forgot their papers at home.

Part of the problem is that these children are not very organized. Some are not writing the assignments correctly in their agenda book.(I was amazed at what they are writing, not to mention writing it in the wrong place.) By the time they get home they can't remember what the assignment was. Some are not using their homework folder correctly either. They are just shoving papers in their notebook. I am spending some time at the end of the day to be sure that the kids are properly organized.(I only have 16 kids so it is doable) I have a son who had these issues and wished that a teacher had spent more time helping him to organize his papers.

8. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Oct 6, 2007

Well, here is something to throw out. Our district assigns HW, however it is for remediation and review. HW is NOT to be graded. we grade things only done in class. We are lucky that we have great parent involvment, however, sometimes too much.... how do I know I am not grading parent's work and not childs. With that being said, all my HW is due in the basket by bell, if it is not they do need to complete during recess.

9. prek176

prek176 Companion

Oct 6, 2007

We don't actually count homework either, for the same reason. So I guess my point is why give a zero when it really doesn't count anyway? 10 points off is sufficient enough for the parent to see the child didn't do their work and they can see that this impacts their grade. Ever since the day I had those 3 kids forget their work I have had every child turn in all their homework.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 6, 2007

I use HW only to review concepts, with the exception of spelling. My spelling test is what I call a "review" anyway, and if they don't get the words right, they have them again the next week. We don't give grades at all though.

Personally, I think grading homework is pointless. You will never know how much of it the kids did, how much their parents did, how much was prompted, corrected, etc. A lot of what I look at in the classroom is the effort and the progress made... a lot of homework is done in the car, during breakfast, in the hallway before school starts, etc. That does not show a lot of effort to me.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Oct 6, 2007

Mrs. Mom

Please what ever you decide to do with your homework policy, let parents know first. My daughter had this experience in 6th grade with a LTS that was very lax and when the "real" teacher returned, it was a big adjustment for both my daughter and myself. The LTS in her classroom never assigned homework and they could work on assignments in class until the student finished it. Needless to say, the students acquired some very bad working habits. As a parent, all I could ask was "do you have any HW?" with the reply "I get to finish it in class tomorrow." Then BOOM - the "real" teacher returned and she implemented her rules as she was entitled to do. It would have been really nice - I know it wasn't required- and I mean really nice for her to have sent a letter since the classroom drasically change when she returned. Just a thought

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 6, 2007

I give a score of E, S, P, or N for homework- which equals 4, 3, 2, or 1 point(s). Right now, they've earned up to 64 points... and then that becomes a grade in the book. Currently, I have one with a 100%, most with a 90-99, some B's and C's, and 1 or 2 failing with that one grade. It's one grade in the book, yet it gets them thinking about how important it can be in determining the overall grade in the class.

13. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Oct 6, 2007

What i'm not understanding is, if HW counts for nothing in the district, then why assign in? Do the kids know it doesn't count? I sure hope not, because then they wouldn't do it. And i agree, if you spend time grading it, but it counts for nothing, that's a waste. I can see it being maybe an assessment of sorts, but i really would wanna know if the parents/students know it doesn't count, because how would you convince them it's important to do it and what would putting a grade @ the top do?

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 6, 2007

My county's specific policy is that it doesn't fail a student if he or she doesn't complete it... but it can count for a little. However, every district is different and it needs to still be valid for a fourth grader to do the work!

15. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

I don't grade homework since I don't think it is a true assessment since their parents most likely had some influence. Homework is for practice, in my opinion. However, I do check off who completed it. Anyone who has ANY outstanding hw or classwork goes to detention instead of FREE TIME that I share with another teacher once a week. This includes papers in the problem basket (no names or not following directions.) I accept late work but I still have a few who don't go look for their no names in the basket. Go figure.

16. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 6, 2007

This happened to me. My son's 3rd grade teacher must not even spot check agenda's because my son came home for 6 months and didn't have more than a night here and there of homework. I was checking and signing his homework agenda every night. If what he said matched the agenda book, I assumed it to be true. We hadn't had a problem before so why would this be different. SIX months later she tells me my son hasn't done 90% of his homework (basically he was lying to me). She put it off on him and it is his fault and I just sat there and took it and agreed but I so badly wished I hadn't been in shock because I want to go back and say, "Where were YOU all those months?"

Having said that, I don't expect a teacher to know a missed assignment immediately or to contact me immediately. I'm fine with that. Last year his fifth grade teacher gave him a chance to bring it back on his own. After 4 days, she contacted me and he got a reduced credit. I was fine with that because I want him to be held accountable and I was happy that she notified me at some point and not 6 months later. I guess this post hit a raw spot because I'm a little off topic.

17. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Oct 8, 2007

This is my first year of teaching, so I haven't decided yet if I like my policy or not, but here's what I'm doing with homework.

I use homework for a review/extra practice of the concepts we're working on in class, usually math or spelling. I collect it the next day and keep track of who turns it in, but I don't grade it. I know that sometimes kids get home and don't remember how to do the math concepts we worked on at school that day, and not all of them have someone at home who can help explain things to them, so why penalize them for that?

I either have the kids grade each other's assignments at school or look over them myself, just to get an idea of how they're doing on their own so that I know if I need to re-teach anything or not.

Those that do not turn in their homework the day after it's assigned lose a homework ticket. Remaining tickets go into a drawing on Friday afternoon for prizes, so that's an incentive for them to be responsible for their homework and hold onto their tickets. So far, most of my kids have been good about getting their homework done and turned in.

18. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Oct 16, 2007

I don't understand the policy either, my High Schoolers would never do homework if it did not affect their grade.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 16, 2007

If you don't grade them, you should at least have a homework participation system. For example, 2 points for turning it in on time, 1 pt for turning it in on time but half done or sloppy (from first impressions) and zero points if you didn't recieive it.

At the same time, my 6th grader is making a 47 in lifeskills. Do you think grades are a motivation for him? Nope. (He was an AB student before this year). Organization is his problem but it is important to point out that not all students are motivated by grades.

20. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Oct 21, 2007

What do the letters ESPN stand for?

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Oct 21, 2007

Entertainment and Sports Programming Network?

22. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Oct 21, 2007

Guessing here..
    Excellent
    Satisfactory
    P
    Non something