Share Your Clean Up Routine!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissFroggy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 16, 2011

I thought I would share mine, and you can share yours. We could probably offer teachers some good ideas if they are thinking of changing it up a little!

I am switching from a job for everyone, to two helpers a day. The two helpers will do attendance, line leader/caboose, etc.

At the end of the day, I am going to time the students for two minutes, and have them pick up X number of items (will change daily to keep it interesting) and try to be ready before the timer goes off. Then, I will find a secret thing in the room that needs to be put back, and have them silently look for it for 30 seconds.

On alternating weeks we will have a clean up party, and draw sticks for various jobs, including dusting, scrubbing, organizing, etc. We will even play music for our clean up party.

This is my OLD routine:

Every day the kids would work toward a "Disco" Clean up. They had 3 minutes to clean up silently. Each child had an end of the day job.

Each day they would earn something new if they were silent and cleaned in less than 3 minutes. Day 1 was the start. Day 2, lights out. Day 3, music. Day 4, Disco ball, lights out and music. Most weeks they got the disco by Friday. If one day was more than 3 minutes or not quiet we would stay on that step the next day.

3. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

Wow, that is a detailed plan. I just train the kids to all work together and then once a week we do a cleaning party with freeze dance at the end if we still have enough time before the next thing. I also break the kids into groups to work on different parts of the room cleaning. I do it by having them volunteer for the jobs and then pick a group of raised hands for each. If kids are not helping they have to sit down and watch others until they are ready to help again. Usually one time seated cures them of the goof off syndrome.

I have tidy chiefs who are in charge of reminding unfinished kids and judging who is done with the cleaning. They do the work all week long then I switch for other kids.

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Aug 16, 2011

What good ideas! When I sub, I try to get the room as tidy as possible before the end of the day. I usually tell the students to pick up a certain amount of items or scraps off the floor and I always have a mystery scrap. I also tell them that their desks need to be cleared off. If the room is really bad (sometimes it is before I get there), I ask for volunteers to do certain jobs.

5. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Aug 16, 2011

The best idea for end of day clean up i got from here about 5 years ago (thank you to the person who shared it)

It's called secret rubbish.

Before clean up, you look around the room and choose a piece of rubbish. Once you have picked something then you let the kids clean up - without disclosing the secret rubbish. (approx 2 minutes, but until it's done) Then you give a reward to the person who actually picked up the secret rubbish.

Believe me, they almost fight each other to get to the rubbish sometimes. And as they get better at cleaning you throw in tidying, such as straightening chairs, tidying books, straightening papers etc.

The kids love it and I have shared it with teachers in my school. Many teachers use it now (particularly in junior primary).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 16, 2011

I love the "mystery item" idea. I have heard this before but had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder!

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2011

8. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 16, 2011

I always play Mystery Trash and it works really well.

9. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 16, 2011

All my kids have a job, and after PAT Time, they clean up their items, pack up their bags, put up their chairs, do their jobs, and line up. Today was the second day of school and it took them literally 5 minutes! It's not always THAT easy, but it does work well for me!