share you job fair experiences....

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by USCgrad, Jul 30, 2008.

1. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 30, 2008

what was it like?

what did you take with?

dress?

what would one expect?

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 30, 2008

:)

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 30, 2008

Good Luck!

5. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Jul 30, 2008

what was it like?
    There were representatives from all the school districts in NH. There were a lot of people there.

what did you take with?
    I took a lot of resume packets with me (resume, philosophy, letters of reference and if I could find the school districts application on line I filled it out at home and brought it with me.).

dress?
    Professional as if for an interview

what would one expect?
    The one I went to the representatives just talked to you about what their school district has to offer, and gave out info packets and applications. I filled out the application and gave a resume packet. I spent about 2 hours there.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2008

:)

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 30, 2008

what was it like? Too many people, not enough room.
    what did you take with? Resume packets.

dress? A dress suit.

what would one expect?I'd get there early. Often I've found the interview slots fill up--quickly. I'd also plan on spending a long time there. I found a couple of newspapers to read while waiting for my interviews. Oh, and don't forget to have something to drink or snack on. Keep your blood sugar up. :)

8. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

I attended a local district's job fair.

what was it like?
    Chaotic. They had a ton of walk-ins... much more than they expected/prepared for. You also find yourself staring others down, measuring up your competition. :p

what did you take with? Resumes and portfolio. My application had long been turned in, but many people brought that (and any other application materials). Oddly enough, no one asked to look at my portfolio (when talking with others, I realized I wasn't the only one). My first interview was about 10-15 minutes, and my second interview was about 20 minutes.

dress? Dress to impress. I wore a suit, as did 98% of the attendees.

what would one expect? Well, lots of people! All of the schools had a table with at least two people representing. The schools put up nice displays and you could talk to the reps to learn more about the school. I went through two rounds of interviews and would have gone on to a third and final one, but, since I'm local, the district needed to reschedule it for me due to the high number of walk-ins (which was fine). I think I was there for about 2 hours.

I also attended a job fair while student teaching in PA. Around 150 districts from all over the country were there. It's funny because the local districts had lines that were ridiculously long, while out-of-state districts had no one. Since I was moving out of the state after I finished school I didn't bother to wait in those lines (my friend told me she waited over an hour to talk to one school's rep. and that all of their time slots for interviews were filled by the time she made it to the front). :p I took the time to meet with other districts and practice interviewing.

Good luck!!

ETA: Zelda makes a great point about showing up early. If you're required to make an appointment, then request the earliest one.

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 30, 2008

what was it like?

It sucked. It was hot, crowded, and the interviewers were tired & bored.

what did you take with?
    Portfolio, applications, cover letter & resume, etc.

dress?
    Wore a suit.

what would one expect?
    I'd say go in with a positive attitude & the idea that you may make some contacts. Do not expect to be hired. Go as early as possible before the interviewers get bored. I'm not saying my experience was the norm, but it probably happens more often than not. It's worth going, just don't expect anything to come from it!

10. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2008

what was it like?

The job fairs that I have been to were crowded, but organized very well. There was about an hour at the beginning of the job fair where they had an orientation and time to set-up interviews with individual districts/schools. One of the job fairs was a big job fair where there many districts from all over the country (many people at this job fair where offered "open-contracts" and another was a district job fair where each school in the district was conducting interviews.

what did you take with?

My portfolio, multiple copies of resume and my brochure.

dress?

I wore a suit, as did most of the people there at both job fairs.

what would one expect?

Don't expect too much. Since I knew that both job fairs were conducting interviews for the majority of the fair I expected to get lots of interview practice (which I got). It's also a good place to make contacts and to find out more about districts/schools that you may not have thought of or considered.

11. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

what was it like?
    It was a HUGE waste of time. There were hundreds of people there and none of the schools were interviewing or hiring elementary classroom teachers. Ugh!

what did you take with?
    I took my portfolio with me, copies of resumes, references, business type cards etc.
    dress?
    I wore a suit.
    what would one expect?
    I expected to meet with HR from districts. That didn't happen. They all just collected resumes and said thank you very much! Seeee ya...

12. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 30, 2008

Thanks for all of the responses...very helpful....

13. seeking2913

seeking2913 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

what was it like? I went to two - one district and one regional. The district one was REALLY crowded and completely unorganized. Between 9am - 2pm I spoke with a total of 5 principals due to all the time spent standing in line, and only 2 of which I had anything resembling an interview with. :down: The district one had reps from all the districts in the region I'm in (about 20-30). There weren't many that I wanted to apply to because the majority of them were so far from were I live, but I handed my resume and cover letter to three districts. Right about the time I was considering leaving and calling the day a loss, one of the APs from a district chased me down and asked if I would like to interview with the principal. We sat down and talked for about 30 min and the rest is history...she called me two days later and offered me the job!:up:

what did you take with? I feel like I definitely over prepared as far as bringing copies and stuff...the flyers and websites recommended you bring enough resumes for each school/district, cover letters, test scores, copies of certification, evaluations, etc. I wasted a lot of money copying all that stuff when in reality they really only wanted the resume and cover letter (that and the fact that I only made it to 5 schools :rolleyes:). I also took my portfolio which got a lot of positive feedback from the principals I talked to at the district fair, and even got me a second interview with one of the schools which later offered me a job; however, I had already accepted the other position.

dress?
    to the district fair I wore a black suit, but lightened it up with a pink shirt and accessories (I also made the mistake of wearing high heels...not so fun when your standing for the majority of 5 hours :p). To the regional one I wore a knee-length skirt, a brown blazer and flats - I learned from the first one, haha!

what would one expect? Part of it depends on the size of your district. The district for the district fair I went to is HUGE, and I know that not even half of the schools were in attendence. The majority of it was standing in long lines for one or two open positions, only to finally sit down in front of the principal, hand them your resume and have them ask you in an exasperated tone, "Why should I hire you...?" :| I really prefered the regional fair...partially because that's where I got my job ;) and also because it was much more organized, the representatives there seemed like they actually WANTED to to be there, and it wasn't 100+ people gunning for ONE position.

I guess overall job fairs are hit or miss :unsure: But when you're looking for a job don't leave any stone unturned! Best of luck!!!