Share something you do better than most teachers.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2012

What is one thing you do better than most other teachers?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2012

I very rarely see other teachers teach. I can't begin to answer that question.

Some things I do well:
    - I know my content. The week before Christmas I gave 2 hour-long Calculus review sessions. The first was to about 10 kids, the second to about 25, in preparation for their upcoming test. I haven't taught Calculus since 2000. Ask me a question in high school math, whether or not I'm teaching the course, and the odds are very decent that I'll be able to answer it.

- I'm able to inspire confidence in my kids. It's rare that a kid in my class expects to fail.

- My kids enjoy my class, even if they don't enjoy math. They've told me so.

- I think I have a good idea of how busy their lives are, and realize that my class is not always the most important part of their day. My homework policies and the pacing of my class reflect that.

- I'm good at partial credit. Math is all about process, and I'm pretty good at realizing that.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2012

I'd hesitate to say "better than most", but one of my strengths as a teacher is the relationship that I am able to develop with my students. They learn very quickly that I have their back, I am always truthful with them, that they can come to me, anytime, about anything and that they can trust me.

I love my students dearly, and they know it.

5. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jan 2, 2012

Like MrsC, I don't try to compare myself to other teachers. But one thing that I am extremely good at is listening to students and being compassionate towards their problems. It's really helped me build strong, trusting relationships.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 2, 2012

I would say that is a strength of mine, too. :)

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 2, 2012

Going by what I have seen in the last couple of years, I'm considered the go-to teacher for the kids who need more specialized attention. I've had students moved into my class from others teachers' because of "failure to thrive" and have been asked to gently prod them into getting through the class. I'm not sure what I'm doing that's different from any other teacher (we're scattered around the state), but I'm glad my principal thinks that way of me.

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2012

WELL!
    I would say I have the ability to put anything into music at the spur of the moment. I can come up with a tune of some sort that just catches any child's attention. It opens up a brand new way of channeling energy to a specific goal I have in mind. I have a "CATCHY" chant that I made up that makes them drop whatever they are doing and join in. After I get their attention then I give the directions of what they need to do in order to transition into our next activity.
    The success of this has made my teaching a hit with my class!:cool:
    Rebel1

9. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2012

I don't know that I do anything better than anyone else, but one thing I do a bit differently is to try to immerse my students in the world of a novel--that's where my degree in drama comes in handy!

Like those above, I have a very warm relationship with most of my students, which is apparent by the number who come to visit me or send me notes after they graduate.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 2, 2012

I don't think there's anything that I do that's better than others, but the #1 comment from most observers is the atmosphere I create in the room. I set very high expectations, but I build their confidence in their ability to reach that. I'm loving, but firm.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2012

Both of us in our little sped department work very hard to integrate our students into gen ed classrooms. I'm most proud of their increased confidence and academic courage. When I see students who came from a self-contained setting mingling with their peers in the hallways and at lunch, it makes me so happy. When I see them mixed into gen ed homerooms during assemblies and chatting with gen ed teachers, my eyes sometimes well up with happy tears. When a student last year literally give me a celebratory hug because he was so proud to have earned a legitimate D in a gen ed class, I knew we were moving in the right direction. I recently pulled out my geometry students to take a big "end-of-the-unit" test. I've NEVER seen them work so hard. They were determined to show the gen ed Geometry teacher (who they love) that they could do well. My student who has the WORST attention challenge completed 90% of the very long and tedious problems. It took most of them the entire 90 minutes to finish and a few had to miss some of the next period to complete their work. They were amazing. I'm very proud of them. I checked their work and I know they will be very proud of themselves when they see their scores :)))))

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2012

I agree that it's very hard to compare myself with other teachers, especially since I don't really see what even goes on in their classrooms.

One thing I feel I do well is listen to my kids. By this, I mean, I don't just jump to conclusions when something happens (or I try not to, anyway), but I will listen to what they have to say about a situation. This might seem like a small thing, but it's an incredibly huge thing. Many times I just catch a glimpse of something, so my perspective of what happened isn't completely accurate. I think something else has happened, but then when I talk to the students involved, I find out it wasn't at all what I thought. In my opinion, it's so important for us to listen to what our students have to say.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 2, 2012

What I do well:

Make students laugh without jeopardizing learning

14. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 2, 2012

Not sure. I do know that I either have kids that love me or they hate me. I don't put up with a lot of crap and I'm really good at maintaining control in the classroom compared to a lot of teachers I know.

I do know that I care about my students a lot more than many of my colleagues. Genuinely care about them. Maybe it is because I'm so new and haven't become quite as jaded yet? I see that as a distinct possibility because each year I teach I give a little less of my heart away so I can see that being a normal evolution for teachers.

I would LOVE to instill the same confidence that Alice does. Sad thing is, I don't have the confidence in those students myself. I have a lot of students that come to class for reasons other learning and my subject, while being required, is very difficult for some people.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 2, 2012

I am not sure I do this better than most teachers, but I do this better than my colleagues: I am very organized, and I have excellent time management. I can write my lesson plans a week in advance because I know exactly how long it will take me to teach the content. I also put in time for remediating and reteaching as needed. My colleagues are grateful for this skill of mine-and on the flip side, the help me put spontaneity into my lessons.

16. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 2, 2012

I am a preservice science teacher and one of my strengths is showing genuine enthusiasm and excitement for all things sciencey. I love sharing and hearing factoids, and looking for links between things students see everyday and the science behind them. Earlier today I had a great discussion about the oxidation of avocados! :D

17. Izzy Teach

Izzy Teach Rookie

Jan 2, 2012

I know that I am organized and always prepared. I don't know if I'm better at it than anyone else. Because I travel, I must be prepared. There is no possibility of making a last-minute copy or getting an item I forgot in my office.

18. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 2, 2012

I'm not too sure if I can answer this question fairly as this is my 15th year teaching and the rest of the teaching staff in my school have 4 years or less....

Keep in mind that all of the students in my school have an emotional/behavioral diagnosis (along with other diagnoses). I can honestly say that I have the best behavior management system and learning environment as compared to my teaching peers. I am able to transition more students than the other teachers in my school and the students that I do transition to other programs have the highest success rates.

19. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2012

Share without expecting anything in return.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2012

Get parents to calm down. Not better than anyone; just good at dealing with parents. That doesn't mean I don't think that some act ridiculous, but then again, so do some teachers. We work as a team, and so we hold team meetings with parents. Sometimes I wonder where the teacher's head is when one of them says something that just gets a parent angry. We're supposed to be working together here, not trying to prove something.

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 2, 2012

I'm really good at spinning analogies on the spot to explain pretty much anything, using something that means something to the student in front of me.

22. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 2, 2012

It's very easy for me to come with up with higher-level activities-keeping students challenged.

23. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jan 2, 2012

I'm good at dealing with unexpected events/things. I can adapt relatively easily and I love trying new things.

24. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Jan 2, 2012

I am very, very enthusiastic and I can explain things very clearly or in an unusual way. I also have a wide knowledge base and am confident in content outside of the area I student-taught (social studies).

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 2, 2012

I think I'm good at smiling and laughing each day. My kids crack me up and I love their honesty. If there was some sort of secret camera in my classroom, it'd capture me laughing every day.

I think I'm also very compassionate.

I hope my kids know that I love them.

26. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jan 2, 2012

Like others, I cant say that I'm better than others in anything in particular; but I do feel confident in the follwing areas:

1) I can give really clear, concise directions that students understand and follow. The students who need the "big picture" get what they need, and the students who need the process broken down get what they need.

2) I'm flexible. while I don't particularly enjoy being interrupted, I can change my plans on a moment's notice when a special is cancelled, an assisstant doesn't show up, school schedules are changed or the SMARTboard malfunctions, and the students will sense NO resentment on my part. Not only that, but we'll find a way to make it into a teachable moment about how not everything goes as planned and we'll have fun with it.

27. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2012

Well, this isn't critical to teaching, but I'm pretty good with bulletin boards and such. :)