Share experiences of changing districts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bella2010, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 1, 2015

I think I'm starting to regret it. :( I saw one of my old team members last week, and it made me miss my old district. It's been harder than I thought it would be to change to a different district and a new grade level, and my team isn't the greatest. We're all new to my grade level, and there's all the drama crap with teacher #3 like I've posted before.

Hopefully it'll get better. :unsure:

Beth

3. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 1, 2015

I have taught for 30 years and have only been in two districts. The first was 8 years, left to have my children. I returned to my current district and have been there for 22 years. The only reason someone leaves my district is due to retirement or a spouse is relocating. My school is a K -3. The entire school works as a team. We all care about one another not only in school but out of school as well. It will be a sad day for me when I am no longer a part of this school.
    Why may I ask did you change to a new district? Do you feel you did not research it thoroughly before accepting your current position?

4. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 1, 2015

I left for a quite a few different reasons. The leadership at my previous district was a joke. Teachers had to spend a lot of their time doing damage control for transgressions they had 0 to do with. No support from admin, think none. Kids wanted to go to the office because it was fun, that kind of thing. Something happened at the beginning of my last year there between me and my principal that was a complete and total deal breaker. He was a complete and total condescending a$$hole about the whole thing that was extremely personal. And DH and I wanted our DS to do to my new district.

I feel like I did research this school. I know a couple of people who taught/teach there and said great things about it. I think a lot of it has to do with my team. I've always been so blessed to work with great people. I'm no saying the people on my team aren't great, I'm just saying, well, there's been some drama. I refuse to be a part of it, and I'm therefore not a part of the team. I feel like a boat floating in an ocean all alone.

I think I should have held out for a different grade level, but how was I supposed to know they'd have to hire four other elementary teachers? In the back of my mind, I was scared 3rd grade testing would stress me smooth out, and I was right. :( I've always taught testing grades, with the exception of my one year in PreK. So, I know the pressure of the test. Knowing that kids don't go to 4th grade unless they pass the 3rd grade tests just add a whole other level.

IDK, maybe I'm just feeling reminiscence. I saw an old team member the other day. She asked me how it was going, and I almost started crying. I usually second guess every decision I make, so maybe it's just been delayed and is just now coming up, lol.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 1, 2015

I wish you well and hope that the coming months are much smoother and rewarding for you. Thanks for the explanation. People can give you advice and their opinions but it is you who must make the decision as to what is best for you and your family.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 1, 2015

Is there a possibility to change grade levels next year? That could make all of the difference. My dad is also a teacher and he had been miserable at his school for years until he switched grade levels this year and got a new team. He says he feels like he is in a totally different school and loves his work environment now. I think working on a bad team can be even worse than working with a bad admin because you have to interact with your team constantly every day.

I've worked in 3 different districts, and my very 1st one is still my favorite. However, I was living in a location that I hated, and I would never want to go back to that even though I loved the job. I was in a tiny town and my only friends were other teachers, all of whom were married and most had kids (I was 22 and single). I had virtually no social life. My 2nd district was terrible, but that team was the best team I've ever worked on. Even though I miss those teammates, the district/school was a nightmare that I wouldn't want to wish on anyone. My current district is a kind of happy medium. My teammates and I aren't BFFs like I was with my old team, but we get along socially and professionally and most of the time I like working with them. I don't love my admin like I loved my first principal, but again we get along and most of the time I enjoy being at my school. I absolutely love where I live now and with having so many friends/activities outside of work, school is no longer the only focus in my life. When you put everything together I feel that I'm currently in the best place I've ever been.

7. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 1, 2015

I'm most definitely going to explore that, probably about Spring Break. Like I posted in a previous thread here, there might be a K opening. I'm really thinking about it. To be honest, though, I'd really just like to be out of 3rd, even if that means going to an upper grade again. It looks like every other team in school works together and helps each other out in anyway possible except for my team. DS was in a Christmas Program a couple of week ago. Every other teacher's team split up kids so that a mom or dad could go watch their child without towing their class. Neither teacher on my team offered, and I didn't dare ask. So, I had to haul my 3rd graders to a Christmas program of K and PreK. I was so stressed out making sure they were behaving well because we were surrounded by parents, and of course I have a handful of kids that need watching 90% of the time, that I missed most of DS's program. I almost started crying when we got to my room. :(

I think maybe I just went in with huge expectations because I was so excited to be there. Deep down, I know I'm in a good place. Guess maybe I'm just in a slump. :unsure: :(

8. NewTeacherNJ

NewTeacherNJ Rookie

Jan 3, 2015

You mentioned stress about testing (COMPLETELY understand you on that) but if that's a deal breaker going higher to 4th or 5th is whole new ball game of state test stress. Stick to a non standardized testing grade if you can PreK-2.

9. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 3, 2015

In my experience its been great. I went from an affluent district to a higher poverty urban one. It comes with its own set of challenges but I don't regret my decision one bit. My last school was a very toxic environment. Most everyone was only out for themselves with lots of backstabbing going on. I was very miserable there and was so glad to leave.

At my new school I'm on a great team, have wonderful admin and it makes all the difference. I'm worlds happier there. It's so nice to have a team that collaborates together, shares ideas and genuinely cares about each other.

10. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 3, 2015

I've worked in different districts over the years. The largest district had strong union power and the pay was great. I'm in another large district that has crummy pay but the best support for Special Ed teachers. That makes a difference to me. I've also worked in small districts but again the teacher support and trainings are the deal breaker for me.

11. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 3, 2015

I taught 5th for two years and 6th for four years. My state has the law where kids who don't pass the 3rd grade reading test don't promote to 4th. So, it's like a whole new level of stress laid on top of the general stress associated with testing. Granted, there are exemptions where kids who fail can still be promoted; however, that means extra paperwork throughout the year. I basically have to keep a portfolio on all my kids. :|

12. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 3, 2015

I think that's what's been a huge issue here. I've always worked with really good people who helped each other any way possible. That's not the case with my team this year. :( I went into the situation naive.