Share an exciting way you help students prepare for state testing.

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

As you know it can be a daunting task... how do you help students prepare for state testing? Do you have an exciting game you play- or do you have neat materials that make it fun for the kids? I am interested in hearing how you help your students prepare. :cool:

3. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 25, 2009

We have class Jeopardy competitions in math, science, and social studies. We actually have two Jeopardy boards for each subject to include all the material taught for the year. The second board is, of course, Double Jeopardy. Then there is a Final Jeopardy question. The kids like it because they are competing against a whole other class and not against classroom peers.

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

I have the kids write STARlike questions on a subject we're studying. For example, last year we studied the local native tribes. They wrote multiple choice questions with one correct response, two incorrect responses and one distracter. The distracter had to seem correct at first blush. They really got into it. My idea was for them to read their test questions carefully and not mark the first thing that seemed correct. They gave the test to the other classes in our grade level.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 25, 2009

I also play Jeopardy, bingo, concentration, Find an Expert - anything I can think of!!

My kids love to write on chart paper with markers so sometimes we do writing samples and critique or do math problems, etc.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2009

I've been thinking of Deal or No Deal for teaching probability concepts in math. I will also be using the classroom clickers I received last year, which permits students to "type in" a multiple choice letter response.

Also, I was wondering if any of you have used Eggspert. :)

7. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jul 25, 2009

I am switching to 4th from 1st this year so I haven't used it but I know the 3-5th grade teachers all use brainpop.com to review things they have learned.