shapes

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kem, Jan 7, 2007.

1. kem

kem Companion

Jan 7, 2007

I am beginning our geometry unit with my first graders. Any different, fun ideas for shapes?

Thanks!

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Jan 7, 2007

We went on a shape walk throughout the school. I took my camera and the kids found items in and around the school. I took pictures of the kids with the items and we made a huge bulletin board from the pictures. ex: Door-rectangle, side of a swingset-triangle and so on. It is a great real life application.

4. Dutch

Dutch Rookie

Jan 8, 2007

Give them a selection of shapes on the board, named so they know what they're called, and tell them to draw a picture, but they're only allowed to use those shapes. Then they can tally up how many of each shape they've used.

Granted, you may (will) need to do an example on the board or as a group first off, but it's a different approach to experiencing shapes.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 8, 2007

Use plastic fraction circles or rectangles or geometric plane figures. Have each child choose 3 or 4 shapes to trace and create their own people or animals. They can trace onto a final version, or trace and cut out and paste.