Shame on you Chicago!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by mrswhatsurname, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

There are other methods that can be effective. I'm thinking specifically of work-to-rule and refusing to take on additional responsibilities like after-school clubs or tutoring. Striking is a last resort, obviously, and it's very noticeable, but it's not the only way teachers can get their point across in a public way.

I just wanted to point out that not all union workers have the right to strike. It's illegal for teachers to strike in my state, even though we have a union.

2. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for stopping BYE!!

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 11, 2012

THANK YOU for that. Another poster asked if we could have this thread removed?! #fascism

Whether or not you agree with this thread, the fact is that a large part of the people there (e.g. parents) feel exactly like the OP feels. It's not like they said teachers are stupid, or something obviously meant to incite. From people who seem to be so anti-"bullying", this seem a classic example of it if the OP was earnest in her comment... which, who are we to know since as I said--this IS an legitimate opinion out there.

As to the content of this thread, I think I agree with Rockguykev, basically highlighting what the teachers really want.

They aren't fine with the pay freeze. That's why it's time to fight. What they would be fine with is in letting new teachers continue to be their fall guy.

We saw this whole wave coming 4+ years ago, when this all started. Rather than taking a concerted effort then (which, what is the point of an organized, "professional" organization like a union for if not for that), to address current labor issues and issues that were obviously on the horizon. They could have circled the wagons then, and developed their position so that when this wave came, they would be in better position. Instead, they left their young out to fend for themselves, basically showing their hand. And now that push is coming to shove, well... I guess we'll just al have to wait and see what happens (here with CPS). I guarantee this won't be the last one (last strike).

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

Checking in!

I feel like it's 10pm and it's only 1:00. :lol: Headed back downtown at 2:00 for another rally. Today teachers reported to one of the 144 scab schools/babysitting centers instead of their home schools. Mine only had a handful of kids show up.

[​IMG]

:wub:

Still mostly support from the community. A few dirty looks here and there, but that's to be expected. My three friends went out for lunch and someone secretly paid their bill. :love:

[​IMG]

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

Caesar has suggested working strictly to rule. I've suggested going very public in your local area with the real reasons that the Chicago teachers are striking: write letters to the editor, post on social media, discuss it (respectfully) with neighbors - there ARE ways to get the message out, but it's going to take some work and some willingness to be uncomfortable.

6. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 11, 2012

That's good for a single battle, but you'll never win the war by force of volume alone. The problem, unfortunately, won't simply be that your message isn't heard. It'll be that it's just not that kind of world anymore. People are bombarded endlessly by what their opinion should be...they can even pick which news channel to watch dependent upon what they want to hear and believe. Information today has managed to become simultaneously insular and overwhelming. The result is that they'll be judging your message before you even deliver it...by judging you.

Villification wins the day. You don't have to listen to teachers. Teachers are incompetent. Of course they'll say what they have to say, to keep those cushy benefits. Don't you know that America's schools are failing? Don't you know that this country is on its death bed because your children's teachers were unionized? Haven't you seen that documentary?

What can you give people, in response to that? Facts? Go ahead. But they're your facts, so understand that to many they will mean nothing. Not in a day when a presidential campaign can say "we're not going to have our campaign dictated by fact checkers" and not suffer any polling consequence...when people don't even bother to argue facts if they can just undermine the speaker instead. And really, when people on this board can talk about their own families or friends not respecting their profession, who is going to listen to teachers talk about teaching??!

I'm not suggesting defeatism, nor am I disagreeing with the Chicago teachers in any way. God willing, the strike may have a positive effect. I certainly hope so.

I'm saying that I believe we as teachers need to have a real and open discussion about how to affect the future of education. And soon, because we're increasingly shut out, and our old paradigms for being heard don't have nearly the impact they once had. The people who see the profit potential of privatization are on the move...even the ERIC database is getting overrun with papers by the "Educational Freedom Foundation," and the like...and the pressure from both sides of the aisle to reform the system is absolutely crushing. The future is just made up of more education reform, designed and enacted (like the last 10 years) entirely by businessmen and lawyers.

I have my fingers crossed and my red shirt on (isn't that a Star Trek joke...) for the Chicago strikers...I truly want them to come out on top. I just think that the scenario being played out there right now is a microcosmic component of the real and rapidly occurring danger to the profession. It's like using your body to block a single wave and thinking that you've stopped the tide coming in. Yes, please, fight the good fight today. And we all hope that you win. But we should be doing a lot more thinking about tomorrow than we currently do, as well...because, in my humble opinion, people have already been convinced that education needs new ideas in order to succeed. I think they're correct, just not for the reasons or in the directions that they've been given. And I think we need to work very hard to establish that we are the ones who are capable of generating and implementing that change, because we've spent the last ten years seeing exactly what direction our profession is headed in otherwise. Before we can sell our ideas, we have to start finding new ways to sell ourselves. If we want people to listen to our ideas, to our thoughts and our visions, then the image in their minds when they think of the word 'teacher' needs to be changed so that they are willing once more to listen.

/rant

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

McParadigm, your points are ones that I've made periodically on this forum pretty much ever since I joined.

8. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 11, 2012

:)

And I'm a mere 22,902 posts behind you. So watch your left.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

Yet the title of this thread is "Shame on you Chicago!" and your complete first post is "Teachers should NEVER go on strike."

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 11, 2012

FourSquare, I wore red yesterday and was wearing it again today! (Also in support of 9/11 remembrance, of course!) I love that story about someone paying for their lunch and that picture is awesome!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

Whoa, JustMe: the originator of this thread isn't McParadigm. Go take a look.

12. queenie

queenie Groupie

Sep 11, 2012

I would ALMOST agree about jumping to conclusions...IF the OP hadn't made the comment, "They don't know how good they have it." That was uncalled for. How does the OP know how good THEY have it unless she is one of them??

There's a big difference in opening something up for discussion and simply posting one line that's going to evoke emotional responses and be hurtful to a group of people.

And then, instead of defending her position or making apologies for coming off sounding like a troll, she basically said I'm not a troll and if you are going to say I am, then I'm leaving.

I don't see a history on this site of people calling other people trolls simply because they state an opinion they don't agree with. I see a lot of healthy disagreement and discussion here. If you are caught lying, you are a liar. If you get caught trolling you are a troll. They call 'em like they see 'em. JMHO

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

This is a competition?

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

Sometimes it takes action to get action.

15. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Sep 11, 2012

Ouch! Calling someone a troll is never called for. I don't think the OP said anything TOO extreme.

16. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

Home from Day 2! I was truly shocked at the number of people downtown. I thought people would go yesterday out of excitement and give up today. I think there were 40,000+ people. :dizzy: We marched around the Loop and then through to Grant Park.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This went on for several city blocks. As with yesterday, I was very moved.

We will have a Day 3 tomorrow, unfortunately. Must keep on keepin' on!

17. janlee

janlee Devotee

Sep 11, 2012

To all of you walking the picket line I am 100% behind you as is one of the strongest teacher unions in the country, NYSUT, New York State United Teachers. We have all been asked to wear red tomorrow. The president of the union made the following statement:

NYSUT president Richard Iannuzzi released a statement Monday, which the organization dubbed a “message of support.”

“NYSUT’s officers, board of directors and its 600,000 members stand with the Chicago Teachers Union as it fights for what’s best for that city’s children,” Iannuzzi said in the statement. “Their fight is our fight. Their struggle is our struggle.

“NYSUT stands united with the CTU as it fights for a just and fair outcome that meets the needs of Chicago’s teachers and staff as well as the students and communities they serve,” he continued. “We are monitoring the situation closely and (are) prepared to do whatever necessary to support our sisters and brothers in the CTU.”

18. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

Well the board wants to write us up for following "work to rule." They asked our principals to scab on us and tell them if we were doing anything like that.

Also- this union had done many, many of the things you suggested they are just not as publicized because they don't fit with the message of the mayor.

There have been several "grade-in" sessions in public places. Most letters to the mainstream media go unnoticed. They are friends of the mayor. There are a few local papers that have our backs. There is also a growing number of parent support groups that are fighting alongside us.

26,000 people can't be wrong. Heck It is hard to get that many people to vote in many activities. We voted 23,000 to 480 to strike. That has to send some sort of message.

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

All parties involved think this strike is shameful. It's a matter of perspective, I suppose, of where the shame lies.

20. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

I will sum this up by saying, "The union is not on strike over matters governed exclusively by IELRA Section 4.5 and 12(b)."

I covered, some of your other concerns in my post just prior to this one.

Also, this is not something that just "happened" we have been holding meetings with parent groups, we have been holding rallies, informational sessions and attending board meetings (when they occur after work). The mainstream media doesn't want to report the message.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

chicago, hugs: it wasn't you to whom I was replying, and it's not you I'm trying to motivate.

22. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 11, 2012

Your post made me tear up thinking about how supportive your families are being over this situation. Good for you!!

23. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

An example on a smaller scale:

CBS interviewed 4 teachers during the march, including myself and a friend. We were very confident about striking and expressed so. Our segment ended up not airing, but the reporter aired an irrelevant clip of one teacher and then said "But all the teachers I spoke to were very scared. They were horrified and unsure about having to strike."

I guarantee you we were NOT. HORRIFIED.

The media spins everything. Everything.

He had even said during filming, "Here are the questions. Let's tape this walking because that looks better and more interesting."

You must take news from all sources and all sides.

24. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 11, 2012

Not only can 26,000 people be wrong, a lot more than that can be wrong. Everything else I agree with.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

(A curious thing, by the way: mrswhatsurname has posted vigorously on what teachers should "NEVER" do. lovebeingteach has instructed us that calling someone a troll is "never" called for. One surmises that there might be a connection between these two absolutes, beyond their appearing in the same thread...)

26. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Sep 11, 2012

I don't think any of us should judge until we have walked in the shoes of the teachers that work for CPS.
    I think identifying someone as a troll may not be " nice" but may be necessary or helpful because it helps others stop and realize that this person is just trying to get a reaction. It is a way to help others calm down and not get baited into an ugly confrontation/battle.

27. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Sep 11, 2012

I was debating this issue with myself. And then I realized, how can I tell my students they must stand up for what they believe is right if I cant do that myself!? I agree that we must be there for the children and ironically, sometimes going on strike is the best thing we can do for the children, to ensure they get the best education possible.

I am not saying if i agree or disagree with this particular strike, but I still pose that question--how can we ask our students to stand up for something they believe is right (or against something they believe is wrong) if we ourselves cannot?

28. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

Okay. Sorry- I've been up since 4:00 AM. It is now almost 8:00 my time.

Thanks for your support?

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

It's the least I can do, chicago. More hugs to you, and strength (and patience!) for the morrow.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

Sounds like it might be time to start recording interviews as they happen and posting the ACCURATE results on social media. If you recall the name of the reporter, you might also shoot said reporter an inquiry - perhaps on the media outlet's Web site?

31. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 11, 2012

I and my union, Red River Federation of Teachers (of Louisiana FT, of AFT) support CTU. We, too, are struggling, although not to the point of striking yet. For the sake of the teachers, the students, the parents, and all concerned, I pray that this comes to a favorable resolution soon. I don't quite know how, but I pray it is so. I have been, and will continue to wear red in support.

32. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

Thank you!

This is my new sign for tomorrow:

[​IMG]

:cool:

33. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Sep 11, 2012

Did you use the school laminator to make that? lol jk

34. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 11, 2012

Only a teacher would make a striking sign that is laminated, color coordinated, and has cute little dots on the ends of the letters!:lol:
    I like the quote, too!

35. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 11, 2012

:rofl: :blush:

RIGHT!

For anybody interested, I modeled it after the Chicago flag:

[​IMG]

Full disclosure, approximately 5,000 other teachers have done this. :p But we know this is a "loot, rob, and steal" profession! :whistle:

36. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

Oh. Oops! :haha:

I posted after a very, very difficult day at school.

37. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 12, 2012

Hi all - I haven't slept in a while and can't read through 12 pages to discern what's going on here, but I do know that at least 2 usernames here originate from the same COMPUTER. Please stop with the multiple personalities. Thanks.

38. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 12, 2012

I was at my union rep meeting yesterday. I want to say I and the union I am part of stand behind you Chicago. They sent pictures of all of us in red off to you. If I didn't live so far away I would be with you!

39. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 12, 2012

That's very frustrating.

40. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Sep 12, 2012

OKAY! I'm back and fully investigated this and I'm closing this thread now. Please feel free continue your discussion on the strike in other threads. This one was posted under a false pretense, so that's why I'm closing it.

mrswhatsurname - I will be banning this account and you can choose to use one of your other accounts. I'll be contacting you on each of those usernames to let you decide which one you'd like to keep. :) Do this again and your account will be banned. There's no need to hide behind an anonymous identity so you can talk more harshly than you normally would. If you don't agree with striking, be yourself, disagree, and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.