Shame on you Chicago!

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by mrswhatsurname, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 10, 2012

I'm a raging conservative on most issues. I support the strike 100%. If I were anywhere near Chicago, I'd be out there on those picket lines with them, supporting their causes. TG has said everything I would say, so I won't repeat her.

2. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

Damned liberals, ruining it for all of us.................:rolleyes:

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

I'm thinking this might be a troll. Since they only have 8 posts.

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

Okay. Now I'm in I guess. Even if it is a troll.

We were out picketing from 6:30 AM Till 6:00 PM, so it was a long day. We're doing it again tomorrow. So I might be a bit short and sweet.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

Shame on you!

They are standing for their students, America's public schools, and families.

TROLL? :mad:

6. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

DITTO!
    I too am a strong conservative and I support this effort.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

There was advance warning. Believe me. The sides have been negotiating since last November. There is a new state law that governs much of the negotiations. It included that we had to put in a 10 notice of our intent to strike.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

:lol:

Sorry...I've been out...you know....fighting for my children. I was up at 4:30am this morning, on the picket lines by 6:30am, and just got home at 7:00pm from the downtown rally. :|

Just to clarify some things:

Question your media. Liberal or conservative. They have been very selective about how they want to portray us and our motives. THIS IS NOT ONLY ABOUT COMPENSATION. It's not even mostly about compensation.

Second, national media is showing sound bites from one or two ****** off parents who don't support teachers and/or who "didn't know" about the strike. It has been plastered in papers, news outlets, school flyers, public chatter...basically EVERYWHERE for months. We have negotiated for 10 months. If you haven't heard about it, not sure where you've been!

They fail to show the HUNDREDS of parents who marched with us, who brought us water and snacks, who gave speeches during the rally. We got hundreds of honks today and only 2 middle fingers. :)

Parents bought what they could and distributed it:

[​IMG]

This family brought all her kids to my school at 7am and stayed the whole time...even the little one!

[​IMG]

There were so many just like her.

I feel we are overwhelmingly supported and doing the right thing. I'm sorry you don't stand with us.

[​IMG]

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

Here is the document I think you are referring to. http://www.ctunet.com/blog/text/SCSD_Report-02-16-2012-1.pdf

We have a shorter day that was recently lengthened. Prior to this year, most teachers had their "lunch break" at the end of the school day after the students left.

The "shorter" day did not provide less "academics" such as reading and math, but provided many less enrichment opportunities to the children such as libraries, PE and art.

Most of the issues are directly related to the students, but there are some laws that have been created to make it look like we only care about our pay.

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

They signed up in 2011 though. I am confused by that!

11. mrswhatsurname

mrswhatsurname Rookie

Sep 10, 2012

I am assuming a "troll" is someone who posts just to start trouble. This is not who I am. Yes, I am outraged! Imagine if you went to the emergency room, and the nurses were on strike. Some of our students need us just as bad. What about the child whose father lashed out at her when he found out there was no school, because he had to call off work and miss a day of pay? You have no idea what kids go through at home. I was that child. My heart would have been broken by this; my day ruined. Kids need stability and should NEVER be put in the middle of some grown folks sh** like this. Period.

I posted once a couple years ago, I think....I was having a bad day, so of course I know teaching isn't perfect. We all have trials to go through inside and outside of the profession. I guess I won't be posting anymore, as I can see that all opinions aren't accepted on this site. Is this also how you run your classrooms?

I think I just "got it." You are the teacher "loungers." The ones my professors warned me about years ago in college.

Goodbye.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

Goodbye.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

Yes good bye!
    Teachers are not babysitters...we are educators.
    Yes, home life is HORRIBLE for some students but that is entirely another issue that needs to be addressed.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 10, 2012

Imagine the hard working teachers and their families facing the stress and uncertainty of the work conditions these teachers have been bearing. The decision to strike is not one any bday of workers takes lightly, least of all teachers who do care and sacrifice r the students they teach...however sometimes tat sacrifice becomes too dear and it's time to ake a stand. I'm positive there are many many Chicago teachers who are heartbroken that its come to this.

15. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

And it is exactly why we are fighting for more social workers. Currently we have 370. We have 400,000 students.

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

The majority of CTU's requests have to do with student rights, not teacher rights. They are standing up for the students.
    That is why most of us are baffled by your attitude regarding the situation.

PLEASE read the link. And explain to me how 40 kindergarteners in one room benefits anyone?!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2012

And storming off in a huff rarely if ever works as a way to advance a discussion.

19. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

I'm still going with troll. The OP only has 9 posts, all of which are on this thread. They randomly decide to come and post on a touchy subject and then insult the members.

Troll!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

She has one previous post where she vented about her day or duties or something. I read it earlier.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

She actually joined last year to vent about being disrespected as a special education teacher. She said she was looking for advice but never responded to the replies. That initial post is actually why I didn't reply to her today regarding her thoughts on the strike...she complains about not being treated professionally, but can't connect the dots here.

22. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2012

Pretty ironic, huh?

23. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Sep 10, 2012

can we have this removed?

24. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 10, 2012

Dear Chicago teachers,
    THANK YOU for your hard work, including during these upcoming days. Your struggles for the students of Chicago are being watched by the country and we might not be as loud as those who are name calling, but so many of us are supporting you and wishing we can help. The only way I know if helping is discussing what the real issues are with others - so although started in questionable manner, this thread seems to have been more productive than not. Hang in there and thank you for keeping those of us across the country posted.

25. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

Please. :rolleyes: Can't this be said for every situation? You can always find someone who has it worse; that does not mean CPS teachers should not ty to improve their situation/system just because other teachers nation wide feel like they have it worse.

I (and the Baltimore City Teachers Union) support CTU and CPS' teachers.

26. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 10, 2012

:yeahthat::agreed:

27. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

:wub:

Thank you!

Off to bed now....another 4:30am day awaits. Please send good and peaceful thoughts to negotiators. Hopefully they will do the right thing soon. I miss my kids already! :(

28. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 10, 2012

Definitely a troll.

I asked a serious question, sincerely wanting a response that may have furthered the dialogue.

Kids are free to disagree in my classroom anytime they please, however, they need to say more than "I don't like it."

You haven't responded to any of the documentation that has been posted.

29. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 10, 2012

:rofl:

30. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 10, 2012

Yes. It has been a very long, yet empowering day!

Thank you to all of you who have supported us and have watched this struggle over the past few months. May we have a resolution soon that benefits our students.

If you are on facebook.

"like"
    Chicago Teacher Union and The Chicago Teacher's Solidarity Campaign. Both have daily (sometimes multiple times a day) updates and also have several pictures, bits of information and news from less biased news sources.

31. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Sep 11, 2012

Good riddance troll.

32. TeacherTori

TeacherTori Rookie

Sep 11, 2012

And how would you feel if a child was seriously hurt in the poor dangerous conditions of the current classrooms there. I think the teachers there had to make a hard decision and weighed the effects of the students missing these days now to the effects of continued poor learning environments for years to come.

33. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

Not how he is described by my friends in Chicago (and most of them are Democrats)

34. greendream

greendream Cohort

Sep 11, 2012

Although I do support the Chicago teachers, I really don't like what I'm seeing from this thread with all the "troll" comments. So what if the OP only had one post? Controversial issues often prompt people to speak up who wouldn't have otherwise. It's far too simplistic to dismiss someone we disagree with as a "troll"--then we never have to deal with the content of their position.

35. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

CPS is like another planet to me. They have more kids in 3 blocks than we have in our entire school system. Our working conditions are far from optimum and nurses come maybe once a week. Social workers only if called. Libraries, not always. But salary is nothing even close. I hope it works out for all involved, especially for the children.

36. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

I've also read that Chicago teachers are already among the highest paid in the country. Where I am, we have little or no teacher assistants, no duty free lunch, some days no break or planning time, majority English Language Learners, etc. But we come to work every day--even without a raise for 4 years--because we're in it to teach the children and fulfill our responsibilities--like most teachers in our nation.

37. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

I think that the troll comments (well, mine anyway) are because the OP showed little to no inclination to engage in an actual discussion. That is the hallmark of a pot stirrer, not someone with a differing opinion who wishes to discuss.

38. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

Compare the pay to cost of living. I also teach in a district with high pay, but a 1BR apt is a minimum of $1100, plus utilities. Our pay is decent, certainly, but it is nowhere near as luxurious as it may look on paper to people who live outside this area. And, with traffic, it is not feasible to live far enough away to save money--you would have a 4hr rt commute, and then fritter away the savings on gas anyway. CPS teachers must live in the city, so their options there are even more limited.

39. McParadigm

McParadigm Companion

Sep 11, 2012

As I said in another thread, it's frustrating that this is the only significant action teachers can take to have their voices heard. In education, the most knowledgeable people have the least influence and the quietest voice. There's literally no other way teachers can bring issues to the public...on the other hand, every strike that happens gets used as fodder by the anti-teacher and privatization crowds...both of whom advocate ideas that are destructive to the future of the profession. So it is, in many ways, a perpetual and ongoing lose-lose scenario.

40. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Sep 11, 2012

If your profession has a union, then you have the right to strike! That's the bottom line. The CPS teachers have a union and have the right to strike. Is it inconvenient to many...yes. It's inconvenient for ANY worker to strike. Teachers have the right to have a safe and productive working environment for themselves and ESPECIALLY for their students.

Good luck CPS teachers! I hope you reach an agreement soon and your situation gets better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.