Shaking so hard

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hbcaligirl1985, Oct 25, 2012.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Oct 25, 2012

Apparently one student had a water bottle filled with Vodka and took a prescription pill. The VP took me into the office and asked me if I had seen anything suspicious. I hadn't seen anything except her drinking what appeared to be water and I defintely didn't see a pill. She wasn't acting funny at all.

I feel horrible! Is any of this my fault?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 25, 2012

Hugs, hbcali. I would expect not, barring circumstances I can't imagine you countenancing.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2012

Sometimes this sort of thing happens. A few years ago we had a fairly large group of students who were caught drinking on campus. It turns out that they had been drinking all day and had gone to several classes while drunk. One of the students had been in my class that day and I didn't notice anything unusual, even though the student was evidently plastered. I feel bad about that, but I also recognize that there were 45 other students in the class at the time and the student really did seem to be behaving normally.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 25, 2012

Don't feel bad, not your fault. I had a kid in my class who brought a knife and liquor to school one day. He wasn't caught until near the end of the day.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 25, 2012

I've been thinking about this kind of stuff lately. If a kid takes a water bottle that is filled with vodka, there is no way for you to know that. If they take their first few sips in your class, it may not even affect them enough for you to notice anything, and because you're not their regular teacher, you don't even have anything to compare their behavior to.
    So although this must be a horrible experience for you, don't feel guilty.

When my daughter was in 8th grade, they had a few students smoking weed in the classroom, and the teacher didn't catch that. That would be a different story, because you can smell it, see what they're doing. But drinking vodka that looks like water is a totally different story.
    As far as taking a prescription pill, that takes a few seconds, and even if you have excellent classroom manegement skills, you cannot watch every single kid every single minute, it's impossible.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Oct 25, 2012

If kids want to sneak things they will find a way to do it. I do not think it was your fault.

8. ST13

ST13 Companion

Oct 25, 2012

Not your fault at all! How would you have known? It was your first time with that student you would have no way of knowing "unusual" don't feel bad !!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 25, 2012

Awe... that stinks... But I'm not sure how you would have even thought of anything, but water. I know I would have thought water.
    As far as the prescriptions that needs to be brought up with the parents...because I thought that stuff had to be with a nurse or in the office.....
    Totally not your fault...just stinks you were put in that situation...

10. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 25, 2012

I had a child almost die in my homeroom several years ago. The "fad" at the time was to dissolve Xanax in bottles of Gatorade. This girl was quite tiny and had consumed quite a bit of the drug in a short amount of time. She collapsed in her desk, and when I went back to investigate, she wasn't breathing and had no heartbeat. I started CPR, had one student use my cell phone to call 911 and sent another student to the office to alert them and get help. At the time, we had no idea what was going on. One of the paramedics finally got it out of one of the students what they had been doing. They were able to treat the girl, and she survived.

This had apparently been going on for weeks and none of the adults in the building had noticed. Every single one of us felt guilty and felt like we should have seen something to alert us to the fact that a large number of our students taking drugs that were not prescribed to them. In the end, we had to accept the fact that kids can be sneaky, and we can't catch everything, despite our attempts to be vigilant to such things.

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 25, 2012

At our school we're not allowed to have any hand sanitizer in the classrooms, or in our purses, anywhere, Last year a couple of kids stole a tub of hand sanitizer from an officer's desk, put it in soda and drank it. They actually did it a lot, no one knew it until some of them had to be taken to hospital. (it takes an ambulance to get there at least 20 minutes, thank God they all survived without problems, but they were lucky)

12. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 26, 2012

With the way some of these high school kids look, I would have a hard time telling if they were drunk or that was their normal appearance. I subbed in one class where two boys slept through most of the class. The one boy told me he had a sleeping disorder and had trouble sleeping at night.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 26, 2012

Short of demanding to smell the bottle or to have the students breathe on you, there was no way to tell it wasn't water. I think the administrators were simply touching all bases. You should be fine.

14. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Oct 26, 2012

perhaps they were trying to figure out when this started? do not think twice about it. not the first time it has happened and sadly wont be the last.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 26, 2012

Today I was talking to a student and this very same thing came up. I subbed in his class last year (totally different location, community school) and he said most of them were drinking. He brought it up, I don't even know how it came up. I told him that I am surprised and I'm not at the same time, but I don't even feel stupid, because how would I know? They had vodka in water bottles. I was subbing, so I wouldn't even know if they're acting like that normally or are drunk.
    He said they would drink beer when the regular teacher was there, I don't know how she missed that, but maybe they put it in non-see through cups, like the ones you get from the fastfood places.

16. azure

azure Companion

Oct 28, 2012

Students are not allowed to sleep in class in my district. I give them one warning and if they put their head down again, I write referral.

17. azure

azure Companion

Oct 28, 2012

This business of allowing water bottles at their desks is ridiculous. They have plenty of opportunities to get drinks at bathroom breaks and lunch for elementary and between periods at secondary. All it does cause them to have to go to the RR more. . . another disruption. If they have a letter from a dr., yes, but otherwise no.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

I think that allowing water bottles is a good idea, unless and until something like the vodka situation happens. Hydrated people are healthier people. It's hard to be hydrated on a sip or two of water once per hour. That probably amounts to 8 ounces over a 6-7 hour period, which isn't enough water for most people.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 28, 2012

I'll add to what Caesar said that dehydration is a serious issue in some parts of the nation: where I am, which is perhaps ten miles inland from the Pacific, the humidity's 22% right now, and where Caesar is runs considerably less humid. Not allowing water at the desk strikes me as both less than humane and a potential health hazard.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 28, 2012

TG, you're absolutely right. Here in the desert, water is essential for basic survival. My classroom is a portable classroom located what feels like miles away from the main campus. There is no shade on the walk out to my room, and in the hot sun on a hot, dry day (i.e., most of the days of the year around these parts), it can be enough to make you dizzy, sick, and parched in a matter of minutes. I would never deny my students water in my classroom unless I had a clear, documented reason to do so.