Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet

Discussion in 'High School' started by MrsOrion, Mar 4, 2009.

1. MrsOrion

MrsOrion Rookie

Mar 4, 2009

Hi everyone which Shakespeare books do you think is good for a high school child to read? Any ideas would be appreciated.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

The plays most often studied in high school are Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Macbeth, and Hamlet.

4. dragonlady1182

dragonlady1182 Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

Much Ado About Nothing

In my experience most schools teach the tragedies and leave out the comedies. I adore Much Ado About Nothing and I think it explores relationships and love in a way that students enjoy. my classes beg for this unit from day 1 because they like the characters and everything ends happily rather than with suicide/homicide. I have freshman who groan and rant through Romeo and Juliet but laugh and discuss this play they next year with passion.
    I really love to pitch the question of Hero/Claudio vs. Beatrice/Benedick. I love hearing them tell me which relationship will be the lasting one-particularly in light of their own short lived romances.
    The Kenneth Branagh version of this film is also excellent for visual learners since it is bright, engaging, and follows the play nearly to the letter.

5. Bubblehead

Bubblehead Rookie

Mar 8, 2009

Shakespeare Books

Hi,
    Have a look at the Saddleback Classic series of Shakespeare books. Each is about 98 pages long and is written in modern English. Once the students have read the easier version and watched a DVD then you can move them on to the real Shakespearean text.