Shakespeare in Love?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TamaraF, Mar 12, 2015.

1. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Mar 12, 2015

Have any of you shown this movie to a class? What did the students think? Did any parents have an issue with it being shown?

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2015

I *loved* that movie when I was in HS, but from what I remember, there is some graphic sexuality/nudity (and I remember this from when it came out in the 90's, so it obviously left an impression on me lol!). I also wonder if it is really educational enough to merit showing, since so much of it is fictionalized. Maybe just show clips to help introduce the time period?

4. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Mar 12, 2015

That "graphic sexuality/nudity" is what concerns me!

5. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 12, 2015

I wouldn't describe it as graphic myself. It's been a while, but the sex/nudity seemed pretty tame from what I remember.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 12, 2015

From IMDb:

"A couple is shown undressing and making love (or starting to) on three occasions. They are seen in various states of undress, kissing passionately. In all three, Gwyneth Paltrow's breasts and nipples are shown clearly. In one of the scenes, the sex is implied by the sound of the creaking bed.

A character is shown in two sex scenes with different partners (fully clothed in both). In one scene, the woman is on top thrusting violently and explicity while panting heavily. While no actual nudity, it is still quite explicit. The scene is quite lengthy, however, it is more for comical effect."

Not sure I'd want to go there.

7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2015

Yup, that was the scene I was thinking of...I think I saw the movie with my parents and remember feeling completely embarrassed. I personally wouldn't want to make my students feel the same way.

You could play the movie but skip those scenes? Again, though, I'm not sure if the content really warrants using the movie in the first place since it is completely fictionalized (scholars can't agree on who Shakespeare even was, after all). Why not show one of the awesome film versions of one of his plays instead?

8. TamaraF

TamaraF Companion

Mar 12, 2015

Thanks....I think it might be one of those movies where it depends on who you are, and what your opinion of "graphic" is. On a non-school note, is it a good movie? Worth seeing?

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 12, 2015

I couldn't remember details, but the sex scene is literally the only thing I could remember when I read the words "Shakespeare in Love." It's not one that I'd be allowed to show.

10. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 12, 2015

I loved the movie and now I want to watch it again! I'm not actually embarrassed by sex scenes anymore (unless I'm watching a movie with my parents for some reason lol)

11. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 13, 2015

I have to rewatch the movie because I don't remember it being that bad. The 9th grade teacher has shown it in the past. My guess is she fast forwards through it.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 13, 2015

I would not be allowed to show it in class. I also don't think I would, because I think there are more educational things to show. I show a documentary that shows a few clips from it to show the acting style of the period, so I don't think I need to show it. I talk about it in my film classes, and how it was the first time I felt angry about a Best Picture winner.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Mar 13, 2015

I would be very upset if such a film was shown to my high school student. There is no need, none, to waste instructional time with scenes like that. The one implied sex scene I allow in my class does pertain to my curriculum.

14. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 13, 2015

To play the devil's advocate, today we read aloud a scene from Macbeth (the actual play) in which the Porter makes some pretty lewd jokes about the effects of alcohol on sex drive and performance (Act 2, Scene 3, lines 30-38). So I suppose the graphic sexuality in the movie wouldn't be that shocking to the Bard, at least ;)

That being said -- most of it went completely over my students' heads, and there is a big difference between reading literature and watching a movie in which nothing is left to the imagination. I loved the movie but wouldn't show it in class, not just because of the sex scenes but because so much of it is fictionalized.