Shafted by last full-time employer.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs_Garland, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Mrs_Garland

Mrs_Garland Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

So I was told today that a school called my store manager (I work at Publix Super Markets) and he wasn't in store. They transfered them to the assistant store manager and she refused to answer any questions and actually got rude with the school.

All I have to say is "THANKS! You probably just cost me a shot at a teaching job."

I already have it hard enough by not having an education degree and NO experience, now my managers/refernces are screwing me over.

What would you do? I am thinking about contacting the schools that I have interviewed for and explaining that it is store policy not to give references for legal reasons, but I do have copies of my last 7 evaluations.

Can this get any more FRUSTRATING?:eek:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Is there anyone else you could use as a reference? Your store mgr should have simply explained that they were prohibited from giving refs for legal reasons.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

How do you know this happened?

5. Ptycast

Ptycast Rookie

Aug 27, 2011

I feel your pain. I just recently got hired and he wanted nothing but Supervisor's from past job experiences recommendations. I had to call them prior to him. The second he told me and beg them to give me a great reccomendation also some of them tod him to speak to HR. He will give you some feedback and then get ready to supply him with more names until he is satisfied with your performance. I went through 7 supervisors before he stopped checking and proceeded with the application. This took me a total of 3 weeks.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2011

What a lousy thing for them to do. There was no cause for them to be rude. Yes, I would do everything I could to help blow the situation over w/ the school & try to make it right. Send over as many letters of rec as you can. I'd never want to use your store job for a future reference with anything again. Whenever you get a better job, I'd quit the them so fast.

Hope it all works out.

7. Mrs_Garland

Mrs_Garland Rookie

Aug 28, 2011

Alice- My department manager told me that they called and kept asking quesions. And when they kept asking questions, my asst. store manager got rude with them. She didn't think anything of it and she also thought that corporate had rules on giving references.

So, this morning, I asked my store manager (the one actually listed on my reference sheet) how to get a reference. He said to just have them call him. I made him give me his personal cell phone number so that there isn't any confusion.

I'm pretty sure I know which school called and I am going to call them tomorrow morning first thing. I am also going to give them copies of my last 2 evaluations.

8. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 29, 2011

I think it is very tough for those of us coming over from corporate. Most large companies will not give references. It is against my previous employers policies for any employee to give a reference as they did not want to be sued if it was not positive. Makes it very difficult when looking for a job!!! I don't think those policies have made it into education yet.

9. Mrs_Garland

Mrs_Garland Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

Exactly teach'ntx.

I woke up to a phone call this morning from the school that I thought had called for the reference. She explained that they had gone with another canidate because of one of my references. When I appoligized for that, she said that she actually wanted to speak with my manager (the one that was on my reference sheet) about what had occured. She wanted me to have him call her.

UGHHH... I have cried all morning. Because my assistant store manager was rude with the school, I didn't get the job.

10. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Aug 30, 2011

Gosh, that is terrible. I wish I knew what to tell you.

11. Mrs_Garland

Mrs_Garland Rookie

Aug 30, 2011

Well I applied today for my math 5-9 certification so it opens me up to teach 5th grade.

There aren't any math 6-12 positions available in my areas now.

It is beyond frustrating.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2011

Good lesson to learn....always ask your references' permission to be contacted and give potential employers the exact name of the person and phone number they should use when contacting for recommendations.

13. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Aug 30, 2011

Mrs. Garland - I am so sorry. I always put a disclaimer on my resume that due to company policy they would never get more than a confirmation of employment. I would not even ask my friends who I worked for at the company for a referral as it was a fireable offense. Best of luck!!!

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 30, 2011

This is a tough pill to swallow, but look at it from a slightly different angle:

Do you really want to work for somebody who will hold the actions of somebody else against you?

15. Mrs_Garland

Mrs_Garland Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

czacza, I did ask for my store managers permission. (He even confirmed his willingness after the fact) I put his name and job title specifically on the reference sheet, but the school called on his day off. Instead of saying "okay I will call back tomorrow and talk to him," she talked to the next person in charge.

I have erased the store number completely and replaced it with his personal cell phone.

My only question is how many times has this happened before and I never heard about it?