Shadows

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by tamikins, Jan 17, 2010.

1. tamikins

tamikins Rookie

Jan 17, 2010

hey im plannin for next month's theme project about our solar system, mainly its about planets, moons, earths terrain, day/night, 4 seasons moon phases, and shadows.
    I pretty got everything down art, posters, vids, etc but im stuck about shadows. I need an activity or a simple art for it.. any ideas? and i think im goin to put on a shadow puppet show thing for them

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2010

Go out on the playground with sidewalk chalk...trace each others' shadows.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 17, 2010

..and go out later in the day and see if the shadow has grown or shrunk.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jan 17, 2010

There is a really good book, of course I can't think of the title... there is a bear and it's all about shadows... wait for it, wait for it... called Bear Shadow. Awesome literature connection. Then you could make cardboard puppets and put an overhead up and a sheet and let them make shadow puppets.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jan 17, 2010

Guess the shadow.
    Use an overhead projector and put a folder around the square part of the projector and turn on the light of the projector and turn off the room lights. Put one item at the time and see if they can guess what it is. The item will make its shadow on the wall. I have used buttons, pencils, scissors, coins, cubes, what ever you can find. The kids always have a fun time guessing what it is.

7. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Jan 19, 2010

If you do the unit soon enough, you could tie in Groundhog Day!

8. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jan 20, 2010

We also tie our shadows unit in with Groundhog Day. We do the overhead thing, too. The kids love guessing! We also draw silhouettes of each child on black paper and glue them onto white paper. The kids love guessing these, as well. Another thing we do is staple the edges of a little girl or little boy clip art image onto black paper. The kids cut out the two pieces of paper at one time. Then, they draw the sun on a large piece of manila paper. (We thoroughly teach the relation of the sun to the shadows beforehand.) After they draw the sun, they glue the girl/boy onto the paper and then have to glue the shadow down relative to where the sun is shining. For example, if the sun is on the left side of the page, the shadow would be to the bottom right of the body. I will try to remember to take a picture sometime.

My kids all time favorite activity is to take them out onto the playground on a sunny day around lunch time. Each child gets to make one crazy body pose and I take a picture of the child with their shadow. It's so much fun! We make a class book out of the pictures. We also line up as a class holding hands with our shadows and that picture is the cover.

[​IMG] Sorry, I had to blur the photo and it looks horrible! :)