SH High School Teacher Help!!--half autism

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by anewstart101, Aug 30, 2012.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 30, 2012

I need help. . .I am teaching a SH class and the curriculum I have is too low for a few of my students.

I have 9 students and half my students are extremely low. The others mostly have autism. They have pristine writing. They can read approximately 2-4th grade level. One is doing multiplication.

They can do work tasks and everything I have thrown at the them. I am looking for adaptive curriculum. I dont have money to purchase unique learning system. I need some free sites and ideas

Thanks

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2012

Is this a new job, anewstart?

For high school, I'd focus on some real life stuff. Are you allowed to do community-based instruction trips? Even if you can't, you can still do some "in-school" experiences (setting up a grocery store in your room, teaching them to shop, bag groceries, etc.) - food prep (even with just a microwave you can do a lot of cooking), vocational skills (ask around school for sorting, mailing jobs and similar activities).

How about personal information? Can they fill out a form/application? I always teach my kids name, birthday, address, phone number, SS# if appropriate (higher kids), and signature. Can they all do their signatures?

How about money/math? Can they count money? This is a LIFE skill that they definitely need to have before graduating. You can incorporate this into classroom behavior systems, vending machines at school, off-campus trips, school store, classroom store/system, etc.

How about telling time? Another crucial life skill. Even if they have the basics (i.e. it is 12:00), they can learn bus schedules, train timetables (if public transportation is an option in your district), or job schedules (how many more hours until I have to ____, etc.).

I'd focus completely on functional skills at this point. ULS is great, but you have to have functional skills instruction as well. So, without ULS, you can just focus a lot of your time and energy on functional skills instruction.

4. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Sep 1, 2012

Sort of it is a new classroom at the same school.