Sexual health - this could be harder than I thought...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shanoo, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

I taught a lesson on smoking in Health class yesterday and we were talking about some of the health problems certain chemicals in cigarettes can cause. One of these health problems was damage to kidneys. My students didn't know what our kidneys do, so I explained that they filter our blood for waste and create pee. Well, one kid pipes up and says "So, if we pee blood, that's bad." To which I replied that yes, it was bad and if they ever peed blood they needed to tell a parent ASAP.

Well, one girl put up her hand and said "Well, except for girls". I asked her what she meant and she said "You know, when a girl has her period. She pees blood" :eek: I replied that no, when women have their periods they don't pee blood and that we would cover that in more detail when we started sexual health next week. It blew. their. minds. MOST of the girls in the class thought that periods meant peeing blood. And, these are girls in Grade 7. They, presumably, have started, or will soon start, menstruating.

Oh, and of course the boys were horrified that we were even talking about it.

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2013

I get to do my fifth grade talk in a few weeks. But mine is just with the boys........the QUESTIONS I get would get more laughs than Seinfeld, Robin Williams and Russell Brand put together. But I DO NOT Laugh at them. We discuss things they want to understand.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 25, 2013

Oh, I still get that in high school. I also get students every year who ask why the mom doesn't digest her baby, since it is in her stomach along with the food.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 25, 2013

Until I was in 6th grade, I thought babies came out of belly buttons. And I am not kidding! :eek:

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 25, 2013

:lol:

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 25, 2013

Not necessarily. There are a number of women who are really sensitive to tampons and using them can be really uncomfortable or painful. Women come in all different sizes and shapes, and that area is no different.

8. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

Not true. I cannot use them. They are far too painful.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 25, 2013

I can't use them either..it wasn't until about two years ago that I was diagnosed with a medical condition that explained why to me. An doctor exam requires pain pills before because it hurts me so bad.

10. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Apr 25, 2013

Can plz pm me with the condition. I have suspected for years something was wrong with me too...

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Apr 25, 2013

OMG...I can't stop laughing.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 27, 2013

I taught high school girls about sexual health. They need someone to help them get the facts about sex and their body. Some have no idea, and the rest have a lot of myths to share.

Don't be afraid to teach them. They are hungry for facts.

13. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Apr 27, 2013

No, not afraid. This will be my 4th year teaching sexual health. It's just my first with kids so young.

Although, kids in this grade get a booklet to keep that is put out by the Department of Health of my province. I was taking a look through it last night and in the back they have diagrams of the male and female reproductive systems. And, while the diagrams were correct (obviously, if it was written by the DoH), the picture was SCARY. It made the vagina look like a giant, gaping hole. I showed my SO and he said that if he had been shown that when he was in middle school, it is entirely possible he would still be a virgin to this day.