Sexual Harassment against Principal

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Fairborn, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Fairborn

Fairborn Rookie

Mar 10, 2015

Three female teachers joined together to make a complaint against our gay, male principal. He's in our first year with us, and everything has been a disaster. He's a narcissistic micromanager, and we have tried many different things to get the attention of HR and the school board -- and we've had success. Now, because of lewd jokes, and disgusting remarks and gestures made in front of kids and teachers, we have finally put our names out there and made the complaint.
    Has anyone been through this? Can anyone offer an idea of what's ahead for us?
    Thank you.

The only reason I mentioned he was gay is because I wanted it clear he wasn't hitting on us, or coming on to us in any way.

3. bewlove

bewlove Companion

Mar 10, 2015

No experience, but kudos to you for taking a stand if necessary! Good luck.

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2015

Has the P actually sexually harassed these women or are the women saying that the lewd jokes/gestures constitute the sexual harassment?

I guess if your goal is to get the guy fired and possibly ruin his career over some lewd jokes/gestures - then you may get your wish ...

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2015

I think that perhaps women teachers think differently about lewd jokes/gestures (especially in front of children). Would like to hear some other male viewpoints.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Mar 10, 2015

If he is making lewd jokes and gestures, it should be documented that it has been brought to his attention and that others find it uncomfortable right?

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 10, 2015

I really hope the motivation behind your referral is that you felt sexually harassed, and not that he's a narcissistic micromanager.

8. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Mar 10, 2015

Lewd jokes and gestures ARE sexual harassment.

Many of my fellow gay men seem to think that just because they are gay, it gives them a free pass to be crude with women just because "they're obviously not being serious". Doesn't matter. It's still harassment.

Take that piece of filth Perez Hilton, for example. I won't repost it here, but just google "Perez Hilton Heather Morris".

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 10, 2015

I think this may be true. Not speaking about this particular case of course, harassment is harassment. But I teach 8th graders, and especially 8th grade boys, are full of lewd jokes. We did a lab where we created a sticky white substance. OF COURSE the 8th grade boys made jokes about it being a popular male secretion. I had two students do it and disciplined them for doing it, but in my eyes the matter was done and over with.

Unfortunately, I was being observed that day by my female, very pregnant, mentor. She made a HUGE deal over it, and was calling it sexual harassment and such. I didn't really see it that way. I saw boys being inappropriate 8th grade boys.

Anyway she was very concerned over it, told the head mentor, and he asked me some questions, etc. We both decided that it wasn't that big of a deal. I think it's definitely a female perspective in a way, and also her being pregnant also probably had something to do with it, since she might have been a little more emotionally shaky.

But again these are 8th grade boys and the expectations for their maturity is a little different than the principal of a school working with grown adult women.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 10, 2015

This. :2cents:

I feel confident saying that since this is his first year, they won't renew his contract due to this situation.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 10, 2015

This thread got me thinking: I am a gay male myself. I tend to notice things like hair and fashion. I've been known to compliment people on their outfit, accessories, and/or hair. The people I compliment are people who I've known for years (long before I was an administrator). Do any of you think that someone overhearing me give a compliment could misconstrue it as sexual harassment? I am never crude, inappropriate, or offensive (in my humble opinion). I'm just being myself.

12. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Mar 10, 2015

I've been in a very similar situation though he interacted with me inappropriately. We ended up having a hearing and he is still our boss. I hope all goes well with you. Feel free to pm me.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 10, 2015

http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sexual_harassment.cfm

Sexual Harassment
    It is unlawful to harass a person (an applicant or employee) because of that person’s sex. Harassment can include “sexual harassment” or unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical harassment of a sexual nature.

Harassment does not have to be of a sexual nature, however, and can include offensive remarks about a person’s sex. For example, it is illegal to harass a woman by making offensive comments about women in general.

Both victim and the harasser can be either a woman or a man, and the victim and harasser can be the same sex.

Although the law doesn’t prohibit simple teasing, offhand comments, or isolated incidents that are not very serious, harassment is illegal when it is so frequent or severe that it creates a hostile or offensive work environment or when it results in an adverse employment decision (such as the victim being fired or demoted).

The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or someone who is not an employee of the employer, such as a client or customer.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2015

Sexual harassment is mostly about power, not 'hitting on' someone. Under NJ law, the jokes and comments could possibly be considered harassment.

http://www.nj.gov/lps/dcr/downloads/fact_sexhar.pdf

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Mar 10, 2015

The OP stated "lewd" jokes and inapropriate gestures in front of children. That sounds very different from compliments. Now, if someone (the person or HR) told you that a person was uncomfortable with your compliments and you continued, THEN it would be harassment. But unless your compliments are sexual in nature ("That shirt makes your boobs look huge!"), then I'm sure you're ok.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 10, 2015

I don't think telling someone his/her haircut looks great would be considered harassment. Keep being complimentary of others. I think that is a nice trait to have.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2015

I think that most people recognize and accept compliments for what they are. One area where your behavior might be problematic is when your other coworkers might be insecure and wonder why you're complimenting everyone else but not them, if that makes sense. Their insecurity isn't really your problem, but it might contribute to a less than pleasant work experience. It could give the impression of cliques or side friendships, sort of an us and them situation.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2015

Am I the only one who wants to know what specifically the lewd jokes and disgusting remarks and gestures were?

19. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 11, 2015

No, i'm also curious as to what they were - not exactly, just a rough approximation or description.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2015

Why?

21. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 11, 2015

I'd be curious to know because it sounds like the staff was looking for a way to get the principal fired/removed, and then he did something which they could consider sexual harassment. I really hope I'm wrong about this. It can be hard to make a message come across well in print. But I'd be curious to know if it was something truly "fire-worthy," or if it was something fairly benign like the principal adjusting himself, and a staff eager to see him fired pouncing on the opportunity.

22. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2015

That's a bit what it sounded like to me also. If that's the case, it's a horrible misuse of the legal process, and they're also likely to be disappointed in the results.

23. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2015

IF the guy was making lewd/sexual remarks in front of kids he is way out of line, gay or otherwise. I had a gay principal (99% sure) a few years ago and the guy was amazing. Almost too nice but in our small school it could work.

24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 11, 2015

Yeah, being gay or not has little to no effect on whether someone is a good teacher or principal. Just like being black or Indian or white, male or female is no indicator of a skill in teaching. They can be a fantastic gay principal or you can have a horrible gay principal. It's simply one small aspect of someone's life.

But I understand that people will always look for patterns in such things.

25. greendream

greendream Cohort

Mar 11, 2015

I would like to know, because "lewd" is very subjective. I've had situations where I've said things that were misinterpreted as sexual when I didn't mean them that way at all.

26. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2015

I am a woman and lewd jokes/gestures don't offend me ... especially not enough to possibly ruin someone's carrer over.

27. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2015

In my opinion; it matters and makes a BIG difference.

I hate to see someone lose their job and reputation over some lewd jokes and gestures - especially if they have not been asked or "warned" to stop their behavior first. If these women have not made their feelings known to the P about his comments; then he may not even think of his remarks as having offended them and will be blind-sided by an accusation of sexual harrassament - which I think is very unfair.

Also, the OP sounds like she and her co-workers have a grudge and want to get their P out by any means necessary.

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2015

Partly because I'm nosy and partly because I think that different people often interpret jokes and comments differently. For all we know, this guy have the a-okay signal (make a circle of thumb and index finger and put the other three fingers up). To some people that symbol references a private body part and does not mean a-okay. If the OP is looking for a reason to get this guy in trouble, perhaps this sort of scenario isn't all that far-fetched. On the other hand, it's totally possible that this guy said and did things that even the most sympathetic audience would deem disgusting and lewd.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2015

Or maybe his behavior and comments were disgusting, lewd and harassing..

I have been sexually harassed...I'm a bit bruised by it and view things from that perspective...

That said...I don't love the public proclamation here of the perceived harassment...it just seems off putting to me.

But I also don't want to further victimize those who feel harassed by asking for details or judging them...nor would I assume the P is guilty or not, we are hearing just a snippet of one side. I don t need to hear more...we aren't the ones to decide this based on one party's claims. I just hope for a fair, honest and just settlement.

30. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 11, 2015

Of course. But given the implication from the first post that teachers were trying to find a reason to get rid of this guy, I trust you understand where the curiosity is coming from.

31. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 11, 2015

I agree--especially since it could mean someone losing their job!

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 12, 2015

This is done in front of the students also?? I *might* be able to ignore it if it was just done in the teacher's lounge but in the hallway or some where else where the students would notice? That's not acceptable.