Sexual Abuse or Not?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsleapfrog, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Oct 27, 2009

:confused:I am a second grade teacher with a student who is very low...is a DRA level 6. Anyway, I have noticed some strange things about this child. He likes to hug on me and the other kids quite a bit and I found out got in trouble for this in 1st grade. Well today I noticed that he smelled totally of poop. I asked him what that smell was and he told me he didn't know that he didn't smell anything. I finally sent him to the nurse because it got to be too much to handle and I was becoming naseous and other kids could smell it too. The nurse had him change and clean himself and sent him back to class. I asked him if he had an accident and he said no, he already did it. Yesterday he hugged me from behind and put his hands right on my chest. He also got in trouble for "spanking" on the bottom, another boy in my class. I feel like this behavior is strange. Would it be reasonable to suspect sexual abuse? Would a history of sexual abuse hinder a child's ability to learn? :confused:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2009

You don't have to decide whether he's being abused. If you suspect it, though, you have an obligation to report it to CPS.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2009

And, to your second question, any kind of abuse that affects a student mentally will affect his ability to learn.

5. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2009

It could be. You can never know for sure but if you suspect it you should take action. And abuse of any kind takes a huge toll on all other areas of life, so it can get in the way of learning.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2009

I definitely wouldn't rule out sexual abuse. Kids many times duplicate actions that they are used to & this is defintely not normal.

7. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Oct 28, 2009

When in doubt

Always report any unusual behavior by a student that may indicate abuse. I wouldn't include that you suspect sexual abuse in your report, but just document this child's behavior so a social worker or school psychologist knows where to start from.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 28, 2009

I had a student last year who soiled her pants a lot, and the school psych told me that is often a sign of abuse. Between that and grabbing your chest, I would report it.

9. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Oct 28, 2009

I agree with the other posters. We've had a couple cases of children who wet themselves etc... and it's usually some kind of relation to something that's going on at home.

Clearly the child is touching others in an inappropriate manner as well. I would document it, inform the guidance counselor, and the social worker at your school.

10. mrsleapfrog

mrsleapfrog Companion

Oct 29, 2009

Thank you all for your input. I have reported it.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 29, 2009

So good to hear. If you hear anything, please keep us in the loop.