sewing for the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teachfrog, Jun 23, 2009.

1. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Jun 23, 2009

I'm wondering what kinds of things teachers have made (sewing-wise) for their classrooms. I'm making take-home book bags similar to these and can't find a pattern. Any ideas (as well as other classroom sewing projects) would be much appreciated! :thanks:

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 23, 2009

I stick to the basics like curtains, table skirts, and tablecloths.

I have made book bags, and I found patterns at Hobby Lobby.

4. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 23, 2009

I was subbing in a room where the kids learned how to knit and they made all gifts and everything for every holiday and towards the end of the year worked on squares for a blanket But this was the student learning and making gifts etc. The kids loved it and it was such a fabulous activity the kids could do during downtime. Totally not what you were asking about, but it reminded me of it.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 23, 2009

You could make those pockets that hang over the kids' chairs for their personal belongings. If you were LOOKING for something to sew, that is. Maybe I misunderstood...

[​IMG]

6. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 23, 2009

I "sew" with hot glue. I've made curtains, valances. My favorite thing is a pair of polka-dot curtains I made from 2 twin flat sheets that I layed on my kitchen floor and painted using those round sponge brushes. I got so many compliments on them. I simply snipped the sides to insert the curtain rod.

7. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jun 23, 2009

I am a resource room teacher, so I don't have enough time with my kids to do this, but teachers in my building did sock monkeys and ugly dolls with their kids, I think for fun, downtime options, and I am sure there were lessons incorporated into it, I was just not a party to them.

I love sewing, but the only sewing I have done for my classroom is to make weighted lap pads for some of my students, and "body socks" out of lycra. Both popular with my active kids. I have not made anything decorative. I like the bookbag idea.

L.

8. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2009

A teacher I work with sewed simple panel curtains for every season in her classroom.

9. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jun 23, 2009

How thick does the fabric have to be?

10. eman_ekaf

eman_ekaf Rookie

Jun 24, 2009

For that bag you posted, the pattern would be pretty simple. Say you want to make it 15 inches tall by 12 inches wide, like the link. All you have to do is cut 1 rectangle that size, and on the other, make it a few inches taller (to allow a flap). Then, sew the two together and add some velcro to the flap and the front of the bag. That's your basic bag, and you can embellish it by adding trim, etc. You could even have the kids decorate them with acrylic paints (cheap at Hobby Lobby).

Oh, and for the fabric, you may want to get some that's semi-thick, maybe canvas. Double stitching would be great, as well, if you really want them to last.

Hope this helps!

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2009

12. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jun 24, 2009

I am making these this summer! It is pretty simple to figure out the pattern.

13. teachfrog

teachfrog Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

Thanks for all the great ideas, everyone! Keep 'em coming. :)

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 25, 2009

My mom made me the chair pockets a few years ago. They were pretty easy to make and so much cheaper than the ones you can buy.

I have also had her make me tableskirts, curtains and pillowcases to match my different themes. I have pictures of them all on my site (link below)

15. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jun 25, 2009

I had made cute curtains for my room. They were up for years! One day the fire department came in and said to take them down because they were not fire proof.:mad:

16. glazellt

glazellt New Member

Jun 26, 2009

A great math sewing idea I've seen was used in teaching students about tessellations. First the teacher had the student do their designs on paper using magazines to cut their shapes for a more creative look. After creating their design, the students cut out their patterns using fabric. Each student made a square, a quilt square, with their design. The student's tessellation squares were sewn into a quilt. This can be sold in a school auction, kept, or given to someone special to the class.