Severe/Profound Classroom Schedules

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by inhisgrip20, Jun 20, 2008.

1. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 21, 2008

CBI stands for Community Based Instruction.

Most special education classes go on trips in the community to learn basic community skills (ordering at a fast-food resturant, finding items in a grocery store, paying a cashier and waiting for change, identifying community signs (such as men/women's restroom), etc. Oh, and a big one for my crew is how to behave appropriately in the community.) :)

2. AOIISCFL21@char

AOIISCFL21@char New Member

Sep 6, 2008

I am a first year teacher and teaching at a school for the severe and profound. I have 6 students ranging from 2-6th grade. My schedule keeps changing to better fit the needs of my students, but I think this is the one that is going to stick (hopefully for awhile now!)

8:00-8:45 Breakfast
    8:45-9:25 Related Arts
    9:25-10:10 Bathroom/Snack
    10:10-10:40 Circle Time
    10:40-11:20 IEP Centers
    11:20-11:45 Bathroom/Hygiene
    11:45-12:30 Lunch
    12:30-1 Leisure Time
    1-1:30 Afternoon Activities (or Lesson)
    1:30-2:05 Bathroom
    2:05 Pack up/notes home

I am having the hardest time figuring out lesson plans and IEP centers. Since I am so new to teaching, the technology for this level is very different for me. Anyone have any ideas for IEP centers or circle time ideas? Or even books, computer things, lessons, etc? Im open to any suggestions or any ideas! The more the better! I have a lot to learn and am trying to learn everything I can!!!

Thanks!

SPH_Teacher likes this.
  3. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Hi, thanks for sharing your schedule. :)

I incorporate assistive technology thoughout the day... I have listed a few ways that I use simple devices on my website here... Just click on each category to view:
    http://workofheart.bravehost.com/technology.htm

I also have circle time ideas on my website:
    http://workofheart.bravehost.com/circletime.htm

My students use the computer using a single-pressure switch or a touch screen (depending on their needs). They view online or power-point stories (I make my own narrated powerpoint stories) on the computer. They also play simple cause effect games on the computer. If you don't have access to any games at the moment try this website... it has lots of free animated videos students can access with a switch. My kids love them! :) TIP: The first time you load a video it takes awhile, but after the first time it comes up quickly.
    http://www.priorywoods.middlesbrough.sch.uk/resources/videos.htm

I don't really do "centers" in my classroom. I have a "Morning Work" time in which my students work on specific IEP academic type goals. I have a box for each student with materials for that student to work on. I put a list of their goals in each box so my parapros know exactly what to work on. I rotate working with each student so I can take data and get a chance to work with everyone. I have to admit though, data collection is probably my weakest area. :(

Anyway, hope some of this helped in a small way. :)

4. lmiem

lmiem New Member

Sep 22, 2009

Mod-Severe Classroom Schedule - 6th to post-12th graders

I've been trying to also update my classroom schedule, so I'm glad to find this thread, got some good ideas already, thanks! To give a sense of my students, they are a very mixed class of 8 6th to post-12th graders, placed together due to aggressive behavioral issues, a few have autism, and all have moderate-severe mental retardation. I have 3 wonderful assistants.

here's our schedule:

8-8:30 arrival activities
    - put away backpack, "sign-in" (move their name from "in" to "out" column) as independently as possible.
    - get to work at desks on familiar (not too easy, not too hard) independent activities, then to a preferred activity
    - those who need prompting, use restroom
    (the main focus of this time is to watch for behavior changes, and help the students have a successful transition from home/bus to classroom)
    8:30-8:45 morning walk (walking laps on a circular path in a gated play area) this is also for trying to help my students regulate their behavior through physical exercise.
    8:45-9:15 wash hands, breakfast/clean-up (for fast eaters-free outside time after breakfast, w/ teacher pulling them out for 1:1 work at picnic bench outside)
    9:15-9:45 morning meeting (songs, pledge of allegiance, greetings, roll, going over calendar & day's events, stories, etc.
    9:45-10:20 2 functional e/la & math groups
    10:20-10:40 outside time
    10:40-11:35 p.e.
    11:35-12:30 2 groups-rotate (working on such skills and activities as: iep skills, communication, self-help, sensory)
    12:30-1:00 lunch/clean-up
    1-1:45 rotating whole group activity (library, art/seasonal project, gardening, cooking)
    1:45-2:00 mini-goodbye mtg. w/ my 2 elem. students / older students on walk with assistants
    2:00-2:30 hobby skills
    2:30-2:50 snack, restrooms, goodbye meeting

it's such a puzzle, this is my 4th year teaching special ed., i hope one day i will feel caught up, and like i know what i'm doing.. but i definitely don't feel that way right now :)

5. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Jun 8, 2011

I'm bumping this thread because it has such great information. Any new ideas/input are welcome! :)

6. vallampkin

vallampkin New Member

Aug 2, 2011

Does anyone have any Para duty schedules they could share I teach Lifeskills K-2.....thank you

7. FutureCLE

FutureCLE New Member

Aug 4, 2011

This is going to be my first year teaching, but I actually interned in the class I'm taking over last fall. It's a varying exceptionalities selfcontained classroom with moderate to severe mental disabilities. I've been asked by administration to keep the schedule similar to the previous year and to follow alongside another classroom with similar students to my own. I'm not sure of the times but there a little like...

(We have block scheduling)
    School Day A
    - Arrival/Breakfast/Calendar
    - 1st Period: Math
    - 2nd Period: Leisure Skills and Activities
    - 4th Period: Career Skills
    - 6th Period: Modified PE

School Day B
    - Arrival/Breakfast/Calendar
    - 1st Period: Math
    - 3rd Period: Independent Life Skills
    - 5th Period: Recreational Skills
    - 7th Period: Specials

8. Spedrunnerdude

Spedrunnerdude Rookie

Aug 17, 2011

Let's see....

8:50-8:55- Get the students off the bus
    8:55-9:15- My students with more intensive needs get changed and fed breakfast. My three higher functioning students complete their independent work tasks and eat breakfast if necessary.
    9:15-9:45- Morning meeting/read aloud
    9:45-10:00- Students all take a break while myself and my aides make sure we're on the same page for the day and discuss any issues that may come up.
    10:00-10:40- My two students with the most intensive needs work on math with me and one aide. Two students go specials with an aide, while the other two students visit the inclusion classroom with an aide.
    10:45-11:15- First reading group. Six students, myself, and two aides.
    11:15-11:25- Transition to cafeteria for lunch. One of us helps my two mobile students select their lunches. One of us purees a lunch (appetizing I know) while another cuts a lunch up into bite sized pieces.
    11:25-11:55- Student lunch. Two of us feed students, while the other monitors the two mobile students.
    12:00-12:15- Recess
    12:15-12:45- My lunch break. The two remaining aides stay in the room with five students until the third aide comes back from her lunch. They then change students if necessary and two aides transition four kids to specials at 12:40 while the third stays behind and works with the remaining student (who had specials earlier).
    12:45-1:25- My plan period. Most of my students are at specials, and the one that is still in the room is with an aide.
    1:25-1:55- Second math group. Four students, myself, and an aide. The remaining two aides work 1:1 with my two students with the most intensive needs.
    2:00-2:30- My two highest functioning students (who spend most of their day in inclusion with different aides) come to me for reading. Two students visit inclusion with an aide while the remaining two aides play a game or read a story with the remaining students.
    2:30-2:55- Prepare for dismissal- changing, bookbags, fill out communication logs, etc.
    2:55-3:00- The special needs bus dismisses.
    3:00-3:15- My aides tidy up the room while I stand outside and direct car rider traffic :-\ lol

9. SPH_Teacher

SPH_Teacher Rookie

Mar 5, 2017

My students begin arriving around 7:30 when the bell rings.

1 period: breakfast
    I know i'm a bit late :) but thats the best thing to do with severe and profound students. You would be shocked to hear how many SPH teacher can't understand that simple concept. I have students that sleep 2-3 hrs a night due to seizures or just aren't able to sleep. Which translate to behaviors in class that set off the rest of my students. So I'm okay with parents brining them in late and me working around their schedule. There are teacher that want students that are 13yrs old with the cognitive age of a newborn to be in class on time is the worst-practice.

10. Meiriwyn

Meiriwyn Guest

May 19, 2017

I just discovered this thread, and am so thankful to everyone who has shared - after 29 years in learning support / tiered support, I am moving to an MDS class in the fall. While these kiddos have always been my passion, it's been a long time since I've worked with them, and needless to say, I'm definitely feeling a bit rusty. From the very beginning posts to this thread right up to the most recent, you have all been inspiring and helpful in giving me a place to start. Thank you to everyone!
    Meiri