Severe/Profound Class

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by rhoyalt06, May 4, 2011.

1. rhoyalt06

rhoyalt06 Rookie

May 4, 2011

I was just hired to teach an elementary severe/profound class for the rest of the month. I have never taught in that environment before. I am very nervous and excited. I don't really know what to expect because the principal didn't know much but I'm ready to do my best. Even if this is for a short time it feels good to have my OWN class. I will have 6 students and 4 aides and the classroom is huge. I'm very happy for this new opportunity.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 4, 2011

Congratulations! I'm sure that the challenges will be very rewarding. Spend every minute that you can celebrating the student's successes no matter how small they seem.

4. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

May 4, 2011

Congrats! Do you know if your students are just very low functioning or have multiple disabilities as well (here in PA that essentially means severe/profound MR plus physical needs - feeding tubes, wheelchairs, etc)?

5. rhoyalt06

rhoyalt06 Rookie

May 5, 2011

Thanks you guys. I started today and have already begun to fall in love with my students. I'm looking forward to the rest of our time together.
    @ciounoi They are low functioning and have multiple disabilities but there are no feeding tubes.