Severe Multiply Handicapped Activities?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Tims, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Tims

Tims Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

Hello,

My first year in this class. There's 8 of them, medically fragile, 7 in wheel-chair all non verbal. Any fun ideas that you can do with them? Kindly share your circle time as well. I love this class and I hope to give the best that I can. Thanks! :love:

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 10, 2010

What age do you teach? Do you have any idea what your range of functioning is? (non-verbal doesn't always mean low cognitive...) That will help us a bit better... it's always important to hit where the'yre at with activities that LOOK as age-appropriate as possible ;)

4. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 10, 2010

Have you already met the students and checked out the IEPs? What age group are you working with?

5. Tims

Tims Rookie

Aug 11, 2010

Ooops! Sorry -

Level: Middle / Juniors
    Age group: 11-13 years
    Functioning - very low due to multiple disabilities, 80-100% assistance - physical and verbal prompts

Thanks in advance!

6. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Aug 12, 2010

I do a lot of singing (and support it with pics) with my non-verbal kiddos at circle time. They seem to like it and I have them select the songs they want.

7. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

Tims... I bumped up three posts for morning meeting that we had recently - they all include something about morning meeting in the title so you should find them close the top of the posts.

I'm unclear on the rest of your question as it seems too broad to answer. I teach the same type of class as you do.