severe HS classroom help!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by deefreddy, Sep 4, 2014.

1. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Sep 4, 2014

First day of school....a new student to the district....severely affected by autism. He spits on everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. and its constant...something like 12 times a minute. He usually does it on his hands, arm, his leg, the table, but he's a whiz as spitting into the air and then batting it right at you. He also regurgitates into his hand and throws it also. Please, if you have any suggestions until a BIP is done and he is placed in a correct environment, I would be most grateful.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 4, 2014

Holy heck! I'm assuming you don't have the ability for a 1-1 aide for him.

4. ca_sped

ca_sped Rookie

Sep 5, 2014

I worked with a student like this...it's a response to stress. He doesn't know, you, you don't know him, and he doesn't have an appropriate way to express his anxiety and fears. Can you just give him a trashcan to spit in? If he's playing with it (spitting in his hands and rubbing it) try giving him hand sanitizer every time he spits. It has a similar texture and also gets rid of the germs.

Sorry, been there, dealt with that, and it does go away once the student adjusts to the new environment, but it's kind of gross in the meantime.