Several people have told me...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by 1stGradeRocks, Feb 4, 2009.

1. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

how awful I look this week. I've had a cold and lost my voice, and they know I haven't felt well. I didn't think I looked that bad though. Anyway, it makes you feel even worse when people tell you how awful you look! I know it's silly, but I already have practically no self-esteem so it has really made me feel bad about myself. I seriously think I'm going to burst into tears if anyone else says anything about how bad I look.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 4, 2009

Why can't people mind their own business! I hate when people say things like that!! Do we really need to know how awful we look? I think I would have eventually snapped at someone and said, "You don't look so hot yourself! Are you sick too?" :whistle:

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 4, 2009

I've had people say that to me when I've felt fine. :huh:

My favorite one was when one of my students told me that the shirt I was wearing made me look like I'd gained 40 pounds. :eek:

I work with middle school kids. They're not particularly subtle.

Hope you feel better soon! Hopefully people will tell you that you're looking better, too!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 4, 2009

People really have some nerve telling you that to your face. You should say something like, "Yeah, well, you wouldn't look your best either if you were sick."

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2009

My guess is that it's meant to be sympathetic, as in "Oh, you poor thing.. I hope you don't feel as bad as I suspect!!!" Take it as a measure of sympathy on their parts.

Don't let it become a self esteem issue. You're sick and you look sick. Yet you're ensuring that your job gets done. Wallow a bit in self pity, and let them know you appreciate their concern.

7. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

You looked good today regardless of your sickness. I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

8. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 4, 2009

I think if several people told me that I wasn't looking well, I'd take the hint and stay home from school because they didn't want me spreading my germs around them and the students. I personally find it annoying that people come to work sneezing and coughing. Teachers get upset when parents send their children to school sneezing and coughing. Why should we be any different. Aren't we just spreading our germs to the kids and our colleagues? If you worked in an office or store and had to meet business associates would you come into work sneezing and coughing?

9. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Feb 4, 2009

Sorry to hear that. I've always thought the phrase "You look tired" was really code for "You look like @#$!". That never makes anyone's day!

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 4, 2009

I take it as a sympathy phrase as well.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 4, 2009

I hate that! I've had people say to me, "Ooh, you look so tired, do you feel good?" Gee, thanks. I did. I would never say that to someone!

12. 1stGradeRocks

1stGradeRocks Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

I haven't been sneezing and coughing. My main symptom is that I've lost my voice. I"m hoping today is a better day! :)

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2009

You look fine. But I'm not sure if your socks match.

14. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Feb 5, 2009

Ohhh I'm in the same boat. I feel terrible, it started yesterday and continued through this morning.

Lovely DH said to me, "You look tired, you should stay home today." It's said in the nicest of ways but I too am guilty of being annoyed by it :)

15. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 5, 2009

Don't give people permission to make you feel worse.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2009

It is a stupid thing to say. :rolleyes:

17. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Feb 5, 2009

In all seriousness they might mean that usually you are beautiful and today (or whatever day it happens to be when they say this) you are not living up to the traffic-stopping expectations of beauty they have set for you. Just a thought.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 5, 2009

I hate that. I have not seen you, but I know you are beautiful. Do you know how I know? It is because God created you and God does not create anyone or anything that is not beautiful. If a persons atitude and behavior is ugly then yes they are ugly but if they have a good personality and a good outlook on life than that makes them pretty! I personally love being around children because it does not matter what you wear or what you look like they will say you are pretty. You do not know how good that can make a person feel. Today I was told "you are the prettiest sub ever".

19. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2009

I am sure it was said out of sympathy and concern; a way of telling you just how sick you may be feeling. I would not let it affect your self esteem. Rest and feel better!