Several people have interviews today

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Aliceacc, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2010

Here's wishing you luck!

Remember: it's not about "what they're looking for." It's about showing them who YOU are-- that you're the right person for the job.

So take a second to think about the questions before you answer. Don't worry about cramming in all those buzzwords, concentrate on giving an answer that realisticallly shows you as a teacher.

Dress as a professional. Bring resumes and a portfolio if you have one. But, far more important, bring a smile, a frim handshake, and an enthusiam that can't be ignored.

Knock 'em dead!!!

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 6, 2010

:agreed: I agree! All the best today and know that as soon as you get back.... let us know how you did. We care! :hugs:

4. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Jul 6, 2010

I second what Alice said!

At my last interview, I could overhear the interview with a new teacher. She kept referring back to what her mentor teacher did and wasn't answering the questions. They don't care what your mentor teacher did, they care about what you are going to to do. You may use the behavior managment plan or whatever that your mentor teacher used but make it your own! Own it! And for heaven's sake, don't use the word "stuff" in an interview!

Good luck to everyone having an interview today!!!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 6, 2010

Good luck everyone!!!!!!! :D

6. newbeeteacher

newbeeteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

Good luck everyone!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2010

And may all of you waiting to hear get the offer you're hoping for!

8. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I'm beginning to understand what you have been saying about how we should approach interviews as a conversation and not just try to say what we think they want to hear and use all the correct buzzwords.

At first, my teacher interviews usually only lasted about 10 minutes and were very negative.

But, the last 4 interviews (well some were pre-interviews) have lasted an hour each and have been very positive. I'm beginning to feel much more relaxed and allow myself to smile and laugh during the interview.

I've enjoyed the interviews where I've had to give a mock lesson the most. Its strange, but I can teach a lesson in front of these folks without a problem but sitting down and talking to the principals and site based councils make me a nervous wreck. However, I'm beginning to get considerably less nervous now.

I have an interview tomorrow and then next week I should have an interview with a school that I had a pre-interview with last week.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2010

That's wonderful Josh!!! I think that laughter, and the comfort level it represents, are key. I wouldn't want to hire anyone I couldn't laugh with. Nor would I want to hire any teacher who isn't capable of laughing along with his class.

I think that too many people stress over 'what they want to hear." To be honest, if I have to change what I want to say to fit a school, I'm probably going to be miserable there anyway.

Would you consider requesting the chance to do a demo, even if it's not required??

10. JoshCHT

JoshCHT Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I've thought about asking to do a demonstration for the interviews that don't require a demo lesson.

I think I will do that! :) I can do that so much better than the rest of the interview process.

I also created a sample unit to show during interviews too.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2010

Go for it!!!

12. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

Thanks, Alice!

My interview went well and the writing sample was thankfully not timed. I'll know one way or another by the end of the week.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

Fingers crossed MissAnt .... Here's hoping you hear good news at the end of the week

14. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

My interview today (my first) was also more of a conversation than an interview. The P and AP were dressed casually, so I looked professional in my button shirt, tie and dress pants (what I normally wear in the classroom).

The only two standard "interview questions" they asked were "Tell me about yourself" and "If I walked into your classroom, what would I see?"

Everything else was more casual conversation than formal interview.

I think it went pretty well, but the P did have a concern about me living 50 miles away. The commute isn't so bad, but it includes crossing a mountain, which can get covered in snow during the winter. Of course, they have several teachers that "cross the mountain" already, so that in itself is not a deal-breaker. I told them I'm not concerned about driving in snow. If school is open, I will be there if at all possible.

Now that I've had the initial interview, it is time to do the Thank-You notes. Should these be snail-mailed or is email acceptable?

15. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 6, 2010

Do you know the time line for their decision? I've been sending email thank yous because the Ps want to make a quick decision.

16. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

They will make their choice by July 19. The middle school has become so large, the district built an intermediate school for grades 5/6 and the middle school will now just have grades 7/8. The P told me one teacher may decide to transfer from the intermediate school, which would fill the position they have (but would, presumably, create a position at the intermediate school).

If I get the letters in the mail by tomorrow, they should arrive by Friday. At worst, they would be there on Monday. But there is not telling when they would actually see them in the office or their mail box. Email seems less professional, but would go directly to their PCs.

17. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

I did not get the position but I've been called for two more interviews next week.

Crossing my fingers for you cerek.