Seventh Grade Demo Lesson Help

Discussion in 'Library/Media Teachers' started by sunfishy, Jun 7, 2012.

1. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jun 7, 2012

Seventh Grade Technology Demo Lesson Help

Dear Library / Tech Teachers,

I have made it to the final round of an interview process at a school as a library / tech teacher and have to do a technology demo lesson next week with a seventh grade class. While I am very good with technology I am currently drawing a blank as to what I can do. They have a limited amount of technology but they do have all the current word products and I will have access to the internet. I forgot to ask if they use Mac or PC's and I am going to email them to ask. Does anyone have any good ideas they are willing to share? I do not know what skills these students have learned so it's hard for me to come up with a 50 minute lesson for this. I thought about doing a Wordle but my husband says that this would be too easy. I am sure there must be some amazing internet activities I can do with them but after hours of searching I still have not found anything that can be successfully completed in one period.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2012

Hmmm...

A Wordle would be easy. But that could be a good thing considering the high-pressure situation. I think if you framed it right, it could be a meaningful activity.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2012

Ive done wordle with fifth and found it glitchy....it was also blocked for some reason in one of my schools and I had to put in a request to un block.

Not sure what state you are in...but do your schools block a lot? Think about a back up plan.

How about a reasearch based lesson....create a graphic organizer in word and use worldbook nonlinear or similar to research an animal and 5 facts about it and put them in the graphic organizer.

Good luck! I know how stressful it is...just did a demo today!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2012

Something on citations is great too. These are a big push in the seventh grade common core standards.

6. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 9, 2012

What about having the kids create a flyer or a very short (3 slides tops) powerpoint?

Maybe look at NCTE.org--I've seen a few things on there where kids can create their own comic book and such.

7. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2012

Molar has a great idea. I did a great lesson on citations for 7 th grade observation a few yrs back. Admin loved it.

What did u decide?

8. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jun 12, 2012

Thank you everyone for your help! With the help of some techie friends I found a website called http://allaboutexplorers.com/ and I am using that to do a lesson on how to find reliable information on the net. This website is a fake website with false information that is designed to look legitimate in order to teach kids that not everything they find on the internet is reliable. I made graphic organizers for each explorer and job cards. Hopefully this goes well!

Thank you everyone for your advice! I went through a lot of your ideas and others before I decided on this one.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Great site, sunfishy! Thanks for posting it.

10. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

Sounds like a fun lesson! Good luck!

Please make sure to have a back up in case the website doesn't work at the school or the internet goes down.

11. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2012

I love that one, I used it before!

12. sunfishy

sunfishy Rookie

Jun 12, 2012

@Mopar - I thought smart. I printed a copy of each webpage in case that happens. At the very least they will still get the concept if the internet goes down. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2012

Good back up plan!