Seventh-Day Adventist Schools

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by Confused mom, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Confused mom

Confused mom Rookie

Feb 27, 2010

I'm sending my daughter to a SDA school in the fall for Kindergarten. I would like to hear from any teachers who teach at Adventist schools or those who are familiar with them.

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 27, 2010

There is a large school in our area that has students of all denominations. And I hear it's a very good school.
    You might start here, Confused Mom:

http://www.nadeducation.org/intro

Can I ask what your apprehensions are? Just curious.

4. Confused mom

Confused mom Rookie

Feb 27, 2010

Thanks Sandra. Is the school you mentioned SDA? I guess my apprehensions are I am used to public schools, so this is all new to me...fear of the "unknown" and also because it's so small. But people here have told me small is ok...so I'm slowly getting over that I think!

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2010

I work at a private school, but it is not a SDA school. And the school my son ended up going to is a public/charter school.

Glad to help out; you will find alot of help and advice here. Welcome!

6. CD1980

CD1980 Rookie

Mar 1, 2010

From an SDA School Graduate....

I attended a small SDA school for 8 years of my life (1st-8th grade, which was as high as it went). I loved it and received a great education! Granted, I'm also Seventh-Day Adventist, myself, so I may be a little biased. But now I'm a teacher working in public schools, and while my school system is excellent, small Adventist schools do have things to offer that public schools can't.

For instance, we pretty much had the same one or two teachers year after year, as well as the same classmates, so we became almost like a family. Older kids helped out younger kids and served as role models. (We only had two classrooms, and some years we only used one of them, so the grades were mixed, kind of like an old fashioned schoolhouse.... Coincidently, our school WAS a refurbished old schoolhouse from the late 1700s!) As we grew older, we were given more freedom to explore topics that interested us (in addition to the regular schoolwork, of course). For instance, I was encouraged to tackle big creative writing projects and make nature observations, which helped me develop a love of writing and science. We even wrote and directed our own Thanksgiving and Christmas programs, which taught us all kinds of responsibility, leadership skills, etc. There really isn't room for that sort of exploration in a larger school. Plus, being a Christian school, they teach the Bible and good sound values constantly.

Granted, every SDA school is different, and a lot depends on their having good teachers (or a good teacher if there's only one) but my experience was very positive. In fact, I'm currently trying to get a job teaching at an Adventist school.

Where is this school you're considering located? I might know something about it, or know someone who does.

Feel free to ask me any other questions you might have. I'd be happy to give my opinion.

7. Confused mom

Confused mom Rookie

Mar 2, 2010

Thank you CD. The school you went to sounds exactly like the one her in the Bay Area, Ca. I think it will be fine. I sent the K. teacher an email and she responded about the curriculum, it sounds just like what you describe. Sorry, I forgot you said you went to SDA school before. She goes to preschool there now, and I guess my concern was the size of k-12, but I am now convinced it's not a big deal. I actually have a friend that has a daughter in 8th grade at this school. She loves it...I just wanted to get more un-biased opinions. :)
    I like how this school has all the kids helping out with lunch and projects with different grades. My older daughter who is also in 8th grade wants to check out the school on visitation day. However, I really don't think we can afford 2 in private school..maybe if I work more, but I would never see my kids...since I work evenings.
    Thanks so much for your help.

8. wrice

wrice Habitué

Mar 6, 2010

Can you go sit in on some current classes? Can the school recommend some current parents of students whom you could talk with and ask questions? Our private school matches new families with current, host families to facilitate the kind of information you might be seeking. Good luck!