Seven year old failing the second grade. Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by kmom, Feb 15, 2006.

1. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I don't know what to do anymore. My son is failing the 2nd grade and is in grave danger of repeating the same grade again. I am posting everywhere I can to get help. Here's some background.

I decided to move my son to a new school this school year because I was not pleased with his last school. He had been attending his last school since he was in pre-school. Second grade year, I decided to try a different school.

He struggles in the beginning. I think it has a lot to do with the curriculum. The school is a little bit more advanced than his last school. His teacher and I meet and I make some minor adjustments thinking that would be okay. He gets his first report card: 60's in math, reading, langauge arts. Low 70's in other subjects. Nothing over an 80. I am more than shocked and dissappointed.

His teacher, and I and the assit principal meet. I explain my situation: single parent, working full time, school full time, internship, home by 8 or 9 @ night, son to bed by 10 or 11. Yes I know now my schedule was crazy but at the time, I didn't think it was bad.

I tried to go to Sylvan but they wanted me to drop a down payment on a house; 6K+.

Well to make this a little shorter, I've purchased workbooks, adjusted his bedtime, his teacher has tried as she has stated to give him more time and work with him a little more but he is just not getting it.

I have a meeting coming up with his teacher on this coming Friday. I have a couple of questions on my list to ask but you guys being teachers, what should I inquire about. The school year is just about up and his grades are only dropping further. I have scheduled an appointment with his pedi to test for any learning difficulties but I really don't think that is what it is.

I am hiring a tutor now. Before I didn't have the money and the school stated that they didn't have any tutors available. I got the slight feeling from out last meeting that I was being told to do it on my own; we've done all we can.

I've cried my eyes out over this and so has my son. When I asked what suggestions they had for me to do on my end, they really had none! I'm not a teacher. I don't know how to teach him to understand something. I have so little time as it is. I don't expect the teacher to do everything but give me a bone here! Tell me where to go, what resources you have in place, any tips you can give me to help him out. They had nothing for me and I almost feel as if they want me to take him out of their school!

Please help me with anything.

I'm going so far as to change his diet, music he listens to, giving him chores, more physical activity, dietary supplements, ANYTHING!

:(

3. ky18612

ky18612 New Member

Feb 15, 2006

Failing 2nd Grade

I sympathize with your situation. It is very difficult when our children struggle in school. One of my sons has had to climb hurdles every step of the way. I can't comment on your son's needs because many things could be causing the problem. He may not even have a problem...kids have their own internal schedule for being able to learn. I've seen kids like your son, who are young for their grade level, blossom when they are given the gift of time(another year to grow, develop, and learn.) In early elemetary repeating a grade isn't about "failing" - it is about taking the child where they are and doing whatever is needed to move their learning forward - sometimes that means letting them slow down. As a 4th grade teacher I'd rather have the child that was give time to truly learn than the child that has been pulled and tutored through school and is about to go under for the third time when they get to me!

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2006

Is this a private school?
    When is your child's birthday?
    Does your child have friends in school and outside of school?
    Does he understand directions?
    Is he a fluent reader?
    Who are his male role models?
    Who are his caregivers when you are not home?

This may well not be the school for your son. However, you need to have him tested by a psychologist who does psychoeducational testing first thing. This will give you more information about what type of learner he is and his strengths and weaknesses. Don't put more pressure on the child or make changes to diet or schedule. Assure him that you are there to help him do his best.

5. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2006

Failing 2nd grade is something that makes me question the practices of the teacher/school......Usually when a child is failing..the teacher should be reflecting on the learning/teaching that is going on in his/her classroom. Luckily, it sounds like you have the support of the teacher and school. I am curious though why it's still going on this far into the game. I agree with upsadaisy that maybe some testing should occur. Hang in there. It sounds as though you're doing quite a bit.

NHLiving likes this.
  6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2006

My question is why did you take him out of his old school to begin with? Was he doing well at the other school? I know youself going to school is probably in the long run going to benefit you and your son, but if you are gone from him that much he is probably missing the only parent he has. I'm not saying this is the cause for him failing, but I don't see how his grades could be easily monitored if you are gone from him that much. How long has this struggle been going on? This problem should have been addressed a long time ago.

I think others mentioned some crucial points. Good luck.:)

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2006

You sound really busy!! Who watches your son after school? If he goes to daycare, do they have homework time? Maybe they could help him with his homework and help reinforce some academic skills.

Going to bed at 10 or 11 pm on a school night is very late for an elementary child. I know you have adjusted his bed time which is great, but you also have to consider that he might have missed a lot of preliminary academic skills due to his being tired and sleepy for the first 3-5 months of school which will explain the difficulty he is having now, especially if his bedtime was also this late while he is in first grade.

If the school cannot find a tutor maybe look for a college student studying to be a teacher or even getting a high school student to help your son until you are financially able to pay for a more qualified tutor. If you are around during the summer, ask the school about summer school.

8. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2006

I teach 1st grade and before I would retain a child I would make sure that the child does not have a learning disability. I don't know how your state is but here in Michigan if a parent requests that the child be tested then the school has to do the testing saving you the money from having to get outside testing done. Be sure to rule out any disability before retaining your child. Retaining a child with a learning disability will not help him out in long run. Getting the extra help and support will help your child. If a learning disability is ruled out then be sure to get answers to how your child will be helped if retained. Good luck, I know as a parent this is a difficult situation.

9. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

Hard to know where to start

Even though you are very busy, it sounds like you have done a lot of research and have considered many possibilities including diet. I don't know what kinds of changes you are talking about with his diet but I would say to be sure he gets a well balanced diet without too many sweets and caffeine.

There is so much good information addressing educational problems. A to Z Teacher Stuff is certainly a great place to begin looking. They have a lot of free information and information for sale. My site also has free information and some for sale that can help: Learning Abilities Books http://www.gate.net/~labooks

It is hard to know where to start. Sometimes I find it helpful to talk calmly with the child and let him help diagnose his own problem. That is, he gives cues about what he doesn't understand. Looking at papers which have been graded is a good starting point. Ignore the grade. Ask him to tell you about how he got these answers. If he says he just guessed, what choices he was thinking about? What made him think of that particular answer. If there was no answer to the question, try to help him find an answer. The internet can help but there is so much stuff to weed through. I suggest an online encyclopedia or a paper encyclopedia such as World Book.

I am sure you are trying to be as encouraging as possible. By now, his own worry about failure is possibly increasing his chances of failure. This is a natural process any of us goes through. This is not your fault. It is like saying, "I've got hurry up and to go to sleep." The harder we think about it, the more restless we become making it harder to do.

By the way, doctors recommend that children should be in bed by 9 pm at his age especially if he gets up early in the morning.

It might help if you can you talk with his previous teachers at the old school.

An evaluation might be needed. Before any psychological testing is done, they will want to have his eyes and ears checked. Sometimes the problem is discovered there. Children who don’t hear details of speech well enough or who don’t see well enough think that everyone else hears and sees the same way they do.

There aren't many good TV shows for children his age. You might check into this also.

I hope you can find the answers you need very soon.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2006

Sorry if this sounds harsh, it isn't meant to be. I am trying to be honest and helpful as you said you wanted help with anything. I think some of the answer lies in your own words. I see working full time, school full time, and an internship not home until 8 or 9. Where is your son in this picture? Staying up until 10 or 11 is NOT appropriate for a young child. So you say you have made an earlier bed time............that tells me he isn't with you at all. HE NEEDS MOM! I say cut out some of those other things you are doing, and give that time back to your son. He is only little once and you can do those things when he is older and more self-sufficient. By having you around more, I would think that could have a significant impact on his school life. Prioritize all of those things in your life, but don't put your son on the bottom of that list.........put him first.

11. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2006

Where in Tx are you living? Texas has some strict rules about kids who are not doing well...(all goes with NCLB)

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2006

Find out what your rights are in terms of getting him evaluated. In NJ if a parent requests IN WRITING, the school must respond within a set number of days. What if you put your tutor request in writing? I empathize with your situation- you've got a really hard job as a single mom and you are obviously trying to make a better life for your son by going to school yourself, staying in communication with his school. Do you have any family around to help?

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2006

I have seen many children suffer the consequences of having a single parent who is overly busy. I hope you are able to settle down a bit now for the sake of your child. Is your schedule any better now? I don't know what your internship is for, but many times they will work around your schedule for the sake of your small child. I would look into that. I am also curious why you pulled him from his first school. Was he having problems there?
    By the way, if he has to repeat second grade, it is not the end of the world. Why are you so stressed about that? You need to find out what is wrong with him and go from there. Do your best to work things out so you can spend more time with him. I understand how it is to go to school full time, work, and do the internship...and have a child. My son had to do that last summer and he was exhausted from the experience. Take care.

14. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 15, 2006

I have noticed that a lot of teachers are looking at testing as the answer to this child's problems. Testing may help in showing that this child is functioning below grade level but I totally agree with Kinderkids. This child has not been getting enough sleep for who knows how long and I believe that some of his issues are due to this. A tired child does not learn, especially at such a young age. I know that I have a student who is 6 years old who is asleep or half asleep for at least 45 min. to 1 hour every morning. He is also going to bed after 10 pm. Unfortunately, his mother is not trying to better herself like kmom and is just lazy; finding it easier to let him fall asleep when he wants to (his grandmother gets him ready for school). He is pretty well listliss for half the day - we have tried wet clothes, walking the halls, running outside, feeding him, exercise, consequences..., but in the end a tired child is a tired child. And if he is just too tired, his grades will continue to fall because he has missed learning a lot of the basics.

What observations has the teacher made? I know that I am totally frustrated with my student's mother as I have called her countless times about his sleeping and the counselor and assist. principal has talked to her. I have told her that I will no longer be spending my morning trying to wake her child up as I have other students missing out on their learning. I have wiped my hands clean and have left it to the counselor - it was just too frustrating.

Kmom, ask if they have a waiting list for the tutors and ask if they have any student teachers who may be interested in tutoring your son. See if the person who is watching your son after school can help if. Since you have a such little bit of time to spend with him HAVE FUN with him. If you are trying to reinforce skills with him during this time make it as fun as you can -- paper and pencil tasks may just remind him of the pressures or stress he may find at school.

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2006

kmom has not responded at all. Let's hold off on more posts until she does.

16. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I've done a little research on retaining children who don't do well and I am under the impression that most of the time, it does not help. Is this true from your standpoint?

17. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

Thanks for replying
    My child attends a public school. His birthday is March 18th (right around the corner). My son has plenty of friends in school and in his aftercare facilities(probably too many) but when we are home, we spend a lot of time in the house because I'm playing catch up with what I need to do or I'm just too tired to go anywhere. Plus we live in an apartment complex and although the complex is nice, there is nowhere for him to play. We get home too late for me to take him to the park after school. So the only time he gets to be with other kids when he is away from school is at the park every other weekend. Regarding him understanding directions: do you mean directions specific to his assignments or directions in general? I'm going to assume his assignment directions. Yes/no. If they are simple and to the point, then yes. If it involves several directions in one paragraph, then he may have some trouble understanding what it is he is supposed to do. I think he is an average reader. But I'm not the professional. As far as male role models, his dad and that's just about it. Sadly, he doesn't have many male role models and his dad and I are not together so he only see's him every other weekend. After school, my son is picked up by an aftercare service, I then pick him up from there and drop him off at another aftercare service to watch him while I attend class for an hour and 15 minutes, then I take him home.

18. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I have decided though to quit my internship. That gives me an extra hour everyday during the week. In the future I'm looking to take a hiatus from school for a year next semester and start an at home business so that I can cut out daycare and increase my time with him when he gets out of school. I would also like him to play sports, but with me being the only one doing everything, it's just not in the cards. By his fourth grade year, I will have achieved these goals...Don't ask me how though.

19. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I took him from his other school because I did not like how they placed all of the "active" boys in one class in the beginning of the first grade year and all of the "less active" kids in the other classes. His teacher had H E double hockey sticks with all of those boys in one class. Also there was an incident with my son that troubled me and I did not like it at all how they handled it. I also wanted a school with a more racially diverse mix and his school did not offer this at all. The school was closer to work and he did average but I was so busy and depended heavily on the school to teach my son and correct whatever went wrong with him, that I did miss a lot of things. In fact one year I was so busy, I don't think I ever really talked to his teacher. His first grade year was a blur.

As far as him struggling, it started dramatically when I moved him to the new school. I figured, as I stated before, that it may have something to do with the transition and that he would adjust, but he has not. His teacher has tried, at least I think she has, but when we were meeting, I don't think I probed deep enough as to what specifically were his problems and how adequately we could fix them. Sometimes I feel really dumb about it and I feel as though when people say "Oh you should have done this and that", that people are questioning my parenting skills and saying in essence you are a bad parent. I know I missed the mark along the way, heck many marks and I blame myself the most. But what can I do now? I don't intend on changing schools as I figure that will just harm him more. Who's to say he will do any better at a new school?

20. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I am really busy and selfish! I did not realize initially that I was doing a bad thing by going to school and getting him to bed at 10:00. Other single parents I know do the same thing. Most of us aren't able to be home by 3:30. I'm lucky if I can get home when it is still light out. But excuses, excuses. I realize now, after three years of attending school and getting home late, that his failing now may have something to do with that.

As far as a tutor, I meeting up with one over the weekend. By that time I would have met with my son's teacher and principle and she can hash out a plan of action and I can make my decision from there. I don't really have the money but I'm working on getting it. His teacher did recommend summer school and he will be attending.

21. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I think the school did mention something along the lines of testing him there but I will clarify that when I meet with his teacher and principle on Friday.

The retaining issue has me very worried. I don't want him to be retained if it won't help him significantly. That's why I wanted to know from teachers here, does it really help or hinder or is it a gray area?

22. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

Dear God woman thank you! That helped. I never thought to go back to his old school and meet with his teacher. I have taken a day off on next Friday and I think I will call her up and see if I can meet with her. I still have all of his old assignments since his pre-k years (yeah I know but I can't help it..LOL) and while he is away this weekend, I am going to pour over all of his assignments and try to pinpoint where his problem is.

I must admit also, that when I'm trying to get him to understand something, I become frustrated too and before you know it, I'm in tears. We're both very sensative and the slightest bit of tension in someone's voice makes us tense up and become self conscious. I think I do more harm than good. I'm tired, I'm hungry, I've got Finance and Biology reading and it takes him a while to get an assignment done. It is mentally draining!

I am printing all of the responses here and I will be going over them over the weekend as well. You guys are great and have rejuvenated me. I don't feel like this is so hopeless now.

Thanks everyone really!

23. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

I live in Houston. Does NCLB stand for No Child Left Behind? I'll research that as well. Thanks!

24. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

My family is trying to keep their heads above water themselves. They can't be relied upon as their schedules are not static or they live far away. I will look into the suggestions you have made. Thanks so much!

25. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

My apologies for not replying soon enough. I've been at work all day. Thanks.

26. NCP

NCP Comrade

Feb 15, 2006

In my experience, I have had two students who were not retained for the right reasons. Both were girls, and both were socially and emotionally right on for their age, but lacked academically. They were retained in second grade for the wrong reasons. I had both in my class, one this year and one last, and they both have really caused problems with the other kids because of the social aspect. I think that when you look at retention you need to look at all levels of the childs development. I don't know much about boys and these factors though.
    The other thing to look at would be if you kept him in this school next year and retained him, would things be worse? He would probably not have the same teacher again, but would things be said about you/him that might hinder a good education? We try not to have preconceived notions, but sometimes can't help it. I would especially worry about this if there has been lack of support and resources offered this year.
    Also, in our district, the teacher can recommend retention, but the parent holds the ultimate decision.

I hope this helped you somewhat. This is a tough decision, and I wish you luck.

27. NCP

NCP Comrade

Feb 15, 2006

Offered TO you, by the way. Just to be clear.

28. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

The most I can cut back on is the intership, which I have and school for now. I'm going to continue with school this semester as it is just two days a week. I take the other class (2 classes total) during my lunch break. The intership can wait. As far at the education, that has me torn because I don't want to wait too long. My goal was to get my degree, get a better paying job and get a home for us to live in. Apartment living sucks when you have a kid who doesn't really have anywhere to play or make new friends with people in his community. I thought about a lot of these things, and in my young impatient mind at the time, I figured, I'd do it while he was young and by the time he was near exiting elementary, I'd be done and have a home. But now I have looked into other ways to make money and I am researching and working on setting up a home business. I think this will benefit me and my son both. I work a regular 8-5 but it still too much time away from my son and he's still not able to take on extra curricular activities.

I have beaten myself up over this many days...

But thanks for the extra lashing...

Thanks for your help!

29. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 15, 2006

Whew it all seems so overwhelming but I have worried myself over what others will think of him and how he will be treated. I don't want people to look down on him and label him because of his past. I think sometimes also little boys don't get as much assistance or help as little girls. Maybe I'm biased but I am aware of research that has stated that boys are falling even further behind girls in all levels of education from K on up to college. I will look even further into the retention issue with regards to parental involvement. Thanks!

30. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2006

I'm in the houston area too (cypress actually). You might want to familiarize yourself with the TEKS (texas essential knowledge and skills) ---this is what each teacher in tx should be teaching from. I know for a fact some of the teachers don't use this and only rely on their books to teach. Those books are not made from texas and can be asking things that are too hard of the student. This happened to my niece and she was failing math because of it. I would personally say something if I saw this happening. Second, if you want him tested for special services (to see if he has a learning disability) YOU have to stay on them at the school. Once the paper work is signed that have a certain amount of time to meet with you and begin testing. Problem is they know you don't know about this and sometimes things get "lost" or pushed aside. (happened to a student of mine) and at my school in order to get those services you have to act like a bull dog to the princ. I know thats sad but you have to stay on them and be mean---call every day!!!!

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/teks/

(this is the website with all the teks)

31. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2006

Also, in Texas they are beginning to stop retaining in K-2 becasue of the TAKS test in the 3rd grade. As part of NCLB if they don't pass the test in 3rd they are suppose to fail that grade but if they have already repeated an earlier grade they really don't like to keep them back another year.

32. LABooks

LABooks Rookie

Feb 16, 2006

I'm glad you wrote the following:
    "I am printing all of the responses here and I will be going over them over the weekend as well. You guys are great and have rejuvenated me. I don't feel like this is so hopeless now."

Try to remain positive. Perhaps my comparision wasn't very good for you when I said negatve thoughts are sort of like telling ourselves: "I must go to sleep" and the more we think about it, the more restless we become, making falling asleep harder. I bet you go to sleep as soon as your head hits the pillow because of your schedule.

If you can get good academic help for him, perhaps it would help if you focus more on just having fun with him which might or might not be educational. There are many educational games but be careful about caring who wins. Just play for fun. My site has links to toys for active kids and many of these can be used indoors. Nerf balls, indoor swings, etc. are possibilities. Five minutes of tossing a ball back and forth can mean a lot. The same is true of trying to keep a balloon in the air between you and him. Sometimes when my kids were small, we took hand mirrors and caught the reflection of light which we let dance across the walls and ceiling. Our reflections chased each other. It was simple and produced healthy laughter. It took about 5 minutes. This fun time together is not based on his behavior. You just enjoy doing something together.

Caution: be sure to have some quiet transition from active play to bedtime. The ideal thing is for you to read to him (no for him to read to you unless he offers to). Poem books are great choices as well as picture books for his age. When he begs for one more story you can say, "One more poem." (I know you are often very tired and a poem doesn't take long, you know.)

I think things will improve a lot.
    Betsy

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2006

kmom, just a side note, I don't think anyone was implying that you are a bad parent. When I said something should have been discussed sooner, I meant the school should have came to you and said there is a problem. If they did, then it was ignored until now. They should have wanted to sit down with you sooner than recently is what I was saying.

To make it maybe a little easier...think about this point. If you put school off until he is a litte older, at least by then he can cart himself to and from things a little easier. Or, you can go part time instead. My cousin did this for many years...went part time. She finally got her teaching degree after going to school for 8 years, but she finally did it. She is also a single mom and is now a 3rd year teacher with a 13 year old daughter.

Don't feel guilty about living in an apartment either. There are other ways to get him into social groups and activities. The important thing is that he has you there. I bet if you ask him what he would like more, time with you or a house, he'd probably say more time with you.

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2006

What I said was in no way meant to be a lashing. I am just a very honest person, and wanted to give you the same respect and not sugar coat it, because that can do more harm then good. It wasn't meant to beat you up. Sometimes we are too close to a situation and we can't see it as other people do who can be more objective. I can tell you are trying to be with your little boy more, and that is so important. I agree with Jenpooh that where you live doesn't matter, he has a roof over his head and that is what is important. He would say YOU are so much more important then where he lives. I think you will look back at this time as well and be glad at the decisions you made to cut back on those extra things because that is all they are..........extra things! Life is so short and we are only given one chance to do it right. I can tell how much you love this little guy and you will both benefit from having more time together. Cherish that time and be the best mom you can........that is your biggest and most important job you will ever have after all! :)

35. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2006

You don't deserve any lashing at all. You deserve to be commended for the seriousness with which you are considering your son's needs in the present and balancing them with both of your needs for the future. Sometimes retaining can be very helpful. Maturity level plays a huge role. Age has a part to play in it, developmental readiness has a part to play in it. I have a child in my class that was retained in 4th and he just fits right in socially now. He is still at the low end academically, but nowhere near where he would be if he had been passed along.

Don't worry too much about NCLB. You have enough to deal with. Cutting out that one thing per day will probably help a lot. Two different after-care placements a day is a lot for a little guy. He must be a great kid if he copes with that. 10 o'clock does sound quite late for a bedtime. Even my 5th graders don't stay up that late. Have you considered contacting the Big Brothers/Big Sisters organization? Hang in there and don't stress out too much. You are not going to make or break his future school success in the next month. This will be an evolving process and the school will have to help you. It shouldn't all be on your shoulders.

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2006

As I said before, that wasn't a lashing, I was merely telling the truth as I see it.

37. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 16, 2006

I guess I should have put LOL. I forgot. I didn't mean it to offend. But you are right. I'm not much of a sugar coater myself and I get in some trouble because of it. I just want to give him what I did not have and I want him to have a better life than I did you know?

To everyone: Thanks so so much. I was up all night looking through all of the different forums. I really like this place and will follow up after my meeting with his teacher to discuss what was said. Thanks everyone!

38. kmom

kmom Rookie

Feb 16, 2006

You know what? My son is a GREAT KID! I am very blessed to have him! There were times that I had to take him to class and the teachers couldn't believe how quiet and well mannered he was. He is always complimented on that. But I think the slight changes will make a huge difference. In the coming months, time will tell.

Well I'm here at work but when I get home this evening, I'll be making my list of questions/suggestion/comments and taking serious notes. I'll update you guys on what's going on. Thanks again.

39. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2006

Oh no offense taken. I am glad you understood where I was coming from and weren't offended by it either. Good luck with everything. You will get lots of support on this forum. Lots of people who care!:love:

40. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Feb 16, 2006

I will say from my own experience with one of my kids...We moved to IN from IL. Where we lived in IL the school curriculum was at least 4 months behind where we are now in IN. ( I know standards are set by the states) My first grader ended the year with average grades in IL . After a few weeks in the second grade in the IN schools the grades were well below average. He was way behind. Our final solution after extra help was take him from second grade and put him back into first. Mind you we did this in early October. He is now in second grade and 8 years old, turned 8 July 05 and is one of the top kids in his class. Putting him back was a VERY hard decision, but for him it was the BEST solution. He had not been introduced to many of the skills that the kids here in IN had already mastered. You have to compare the curriculum at the new to school to that of the old school, do they have the same standards or is the new one teaching material your son has not yet been introduced to?

41. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2006

kinderkids - I wasn't saying you had done the lashing. (Even though we all know your predilections.... sorry.)