Seven days left of school but no textbooks...help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mrs_u, Jun 3, 2007.

1. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jun 3, 2007

We have been asked to collect all textbooks but still have seven full days of school left. Just looking for ideas to use these last days. It's nearly impossible to have copies made and my supplies are very limited. SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE!!!

Thanks, Mrs. U

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 3, 2007

What grade do you teach? That may help some offer suggestions.

What resources do you have? I see you are in Chicago is this CPS?

I teach the little guys so no textbooks for us. Are you done with all your report cards?

Not sure how many kids you have but if you must copy things Kinko's will let you copy for 4 cents a copy.

Hang in there.... the end is comming fast (faster than I'd like, I have to much to get done!)

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

One idea I came up with for my class (fourth grade) is to make a new state flag. (We do state history in 4th) We think about everything we have learned about the state all year long, and then they are to create a new state flag. They have to justify what they put on the flag by writing a paragraph explaining it. I'm going to be doing this on Wednesday of this week. Last year when I did it, they turned out really good. Maybe you can adapt something like this, based on your grade level?

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 3, 2007

Do some reader's theatre, or act out stories. We were studying fables and the kids really wanted to act them out. They made props and costumes out of contruction paper. They could make scenery with butcher paper. We only did it one day but they really got into it.

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 3, 2007

If it is an older group, give them a big project to work on and break it into parts. You can choose a book that they really enjoyed this year and have them work on something using the book as a starting point. I would have them break into small groups to do it. You could have all of the groups do the same activity and do something different each day with each group presenting their idea each afternoon or you could have them choose which activity to do to make the group, work for in chunks of time over a few days and present over the last two days.

Ideas are to:
    1. design a board game based on the book, write the rules for someone who has never played the game, play the game several times and trouble shoot the problems, write a paper that describes where the ideas for different elements cam from (parts of the story and inspiration from other games for example) Have the students explain the rules to the class and have the rest of the class work in teams to complete the game
    2. Summarize the beginning/middle of the story and write an alternate ending for the story or write what the characters are doing ten or twenty years after the end of the story. Have this group perform it as a play or reader's theatre
    3. Design a game show based on the book. Write plenty of questions to play at least two rounds of the game. Play a few rounds to work out any problems. Explain the rules and divide the class into groups to play the game.
    4. Design an activity pack to go along with the book. Include at least six pages. Examples of activities include: word searches, mad libs sentences, cross word puzzles, word scrambles, or secret code phrases. You can make copies for the class to do them or put them on the overhead if possible.

7. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 3, 2007

I see you are at Mason Mrs. U... I've heard it is a bit rough there and I work in a somewhat rough school.

I also found that you teach fourth. I'm in Pre-K so a very different ballgame.....

Good luck...

8. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jun 3, 2007

BTW: I have 19 fourth graders! :)

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 3, 2007

10. mrs_u

mrs_u Rookie

Jun 3, 2007

turtle, thanks for asking, I didnt realize i didnt even put the grade level. as for money, i just closed on my new home friday and have three girls of my own...so lets just say i CANNOT afford to spend one more red cent!!! LOL! im at mason and report card are about 80% done. i can't wait!!! sudden rush, pretty soon well be out for ten weeks!!! anyway, mason is very rough, but you have to know how to handle these kiddos. i have to say i really do love my job!

11. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Jun 3, 2007

I just finished up plans for the week. The kids have been bringing in "extra" phone books. Hope this helps!

TEACHING MATH WITH THE PHONE BOOK: FIVE LESSONS

http://www.educationworld.com/a_lesson/lesson/lesson270.shtml

Surname Survey
    A study of data from the U.S. Census Bureau reveals the most common family last names in the United States. Encourage your students to use the data to answer these questions: Does your local phone book reflect the list of most common last names? Where does your surname appear on the Census Bureau list? (Grades 3-12)

1-800-MATHFUN
    What numbers and letters can your students combine to form creative 1-800 numbers for businesses in the local Yellow Pages? Invite them to design posters featuring prominent phone numbers used to advertise fictitious businesses. (Grades 3-12)

Yellow Pages Ad-dition
    Help students determine the revenue generated by sample pages from the Yellow Pages. Discuss with them the value of advertising a business in this venue. (Grades 3-12)

Let Your Fingers Do the Estimating
    How many phone listings can be found in the White Pages of the local telephone directory? Nobody could possibly count them all, but your students can estimate and find the average! (Grades 3-12)

Area Code Mathematics
    Students solve math problems based on a U.S. area code map. (Grades 3-12)