settling...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Aug 6, 2008.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

opinions!

there are about 4 weeks until school starts around here. there is a chance that i may get offered a maternity leave and a SLIGHT chance with another position (long story short). now...there is also a chance i may get an offer in a private school. the private school is co-teaching and i would pretty much be the low woman on the totem pole b/c i am not montessori trained (i.e. i wouldn't have as much responsibilities as the other teachers). i ultimately want to work in a public school.

so how many of you would settle for a private school job at this point? the thing with this is, if i accept, i can't turn it down b/c a relative got me an in. but there are still 4 weeks until school starts. AGH!

oh and nothing has been offered at all yet. i am just worrying because, well, that's what i do best. i just don't want to be an aide again! >_<

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

When do they have to know? Do you feel comfortable holding out? It's really hard because if you do accept the co-teaching gig, something else that might be a better fit may come along but-- it may not. I say, find out when they need to know by and consider the pros and cons-- I always make a list when I am faced with difficult decisions. Let us know what you decide!!!!!

p.s Co-teaching your first year might not be too bad actually!! I like the idea of co-teaching! You are a teacher but you have an experienced colleague to model for you.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2008

If the private school is full time, I'd probably take that position. Junior team member or otherwise, you'd still be making full-time money and have something good to put on your resume for next year.

A maternity leave position is good, but it will likely only last a few months.

5. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 6, 2008

A bird in the hand...... Only you know what would be best for you. I would take a full time position myself. Good luck. I hope you get the one you want.

6. jforegolf

jforegolf Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

My current job is in a Private school co-teaching. I would not refer to this type of teaching as "settling." I understand that some peopel have a tough time with having to run ideas by another teacher but, Co-Teaching can be a great thing as their is always someone their to bounce ideas off of. In the end it is the students who benifit from having two teachers working on lessons. The job I currently have has been great and I would say that for a begining teacher it is actually a great way to start your career. Best of luck.

7. Lorkie4

Lorkie4 Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Know how you feel

I know exactly how you feel. I'm also in NJ/NY and have been debating working in a private school because it seems impossible to find a public schools position. I really want to hold out but I also really want a job for sept so i don't know what to do either. I do have one interview lined up for Aug 25th but that is sooo close to school it makes me nervous. I never thought it'd be this hard to find a job.

8. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I would definitely take the full time, full year position. You mentioned starting at the bottom of the totem pole. This would happen at any job and I feel would especially take place if you were a leave replacement.

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

If it's a Montessori school, don't you have to be trained in the philosophy to be a lead teacher there? Otherwise, I know aides there don't have to be trained.
    If not, I would definitely take that position at this time. I'm on the other side of the country, but things have not been looking up here at all...so to take any teaching position would be great!

What have you decided to do?

10. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

i've decided not to take it. thanks for your advice guys! my goal is to teach in a public school, even if that means i will be doing a mat. leave, so be it...at least i would be teaching and not being an aide again. :)

11. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

I'm glad you decided! :) It's always hard when you're stuck in the middle.
    Cute puppy!! :)

12. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 12, 2008

Good for you! You did what was best for you.