Setting up reading block

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by applejax544, Oct 28, 2009.

1. applejax544

applejax544 Rookie

Oct 28, 2009

Hi all, I think I've reached my overload limit...

Anyway, can you tell me how you have your reading block set up? Our school is very open to how we'd like to do it. I'm kind of baffled.
    How I have it set up now are small guided reading groups meeting with me every day. I have no problems finding things that the other kids are doing. My problem is what to do during my guided reading lesson. I have lots of strategy ideas, but few skill ideas. I'm currently using nonfiction books, and I have the kids using lots of strategies independently, but I'm not sure what skills to focus on. Where should I even begin? Sequencing, author's purpose, text structure?!?!?
    Also, do you use whole group lessons to introduce skills? When do you do this? How frequently? HELP!:yawn:

3. LaurenNJ

LaurenNJ Rookie

Nov 6, 2009

Hi. Do you have a reading program you can follow? We use Storytown Harcourt and for two weeks we work on the same focus skill, and then the next two weeks it changes. So far we have worked on characters motives, theme of the story, and sequencing. We also have books that we must use during guided reading and they come with booklets on what to teach, what questions to ask while reading, etc. It's very teacher-friendly.

4. applejax544

applejax544 Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

No reading program to follow :( I'm grateful but overwhelmed at the same time!