Setting up my classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Jun 7, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 7, 2013

I have decided to start a blog about setting up my classroom. I'm going to be documenting how often I go to school over the summer, how long I am there, and what I have done to prepare. I have never had a blog before, and I just set it up last night. I still have to play around with it to make it pretty. :)

http://settingupforsecond.blogspot.com/

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2013

Have fun! It's addictive. Can't wait to see your progress. :)Jodi

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 7, 2013

My new classroom (for next year) is currently a storage room (and has been for 4 years). Before the custodians can even get to my room to clear it out, they have to "do" the floors for all the other classrooms at our school. Then they have to clear out my room, and finally "do" the floors in there. Then I can finally get started!

All that being said, here's what my summer looks like:

I have 8 4-day weeks in which to work on my room (the district is on a M-Th schedule for summer). Out of those 32 days, I will be in class (professional developments) approximately 20. That leaves 12 days to physically work on my classroom before we have to report for work in August. During that time, I not only have to organize and arrange my classroom, but also paint any surfaces that I want painted, because the custodians will not be able to do so.

Also during that time, our other third grade teacher (also new to third) and I will be meeting and planning (we have no district or state supplied Common Core materials, so we have to do all that). Eeek!

I'll be watching your progress with interest - your blog looks great!

5. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jun 7, 2013

I'm working on a 2nd grade blog as well. I'll start following you! :)

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 7, 2013

That's exactly why I've tried to stay away until now. ;)

I'm excited to play around a bit with the layout and design, once I have a little more time on my hands.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 7, 2013

Thanks!

That schedule would stress me out...I feel so fortunate to be able to go in whenever I want, any day, all summer 6am-10pm. It's nice to have that freedom.

Does your room have to be painted? Does it look hideous as-is. We're not allowed to pain (white cinder-block...yuck...), and I'm kind of glad. Otherwise, I would be going crazy trying to figure out colors!

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 8, 2013

Love this idea! :) I will be checking back to see your progress! And I will be jealous that you have so much time!!

We currently do not have classrooms to set up because our new building is not finished (of course, we also have 3 more weeks of school, lol!)... We're hoping to get a week to set up, but it may be more like a couple days. Coming from year round though, where we set up again every couple months (it really IS as bad as it sounds, I promise) setting up in a couple days and not having to tear down again during the school year will be like a dream come true!

I'm jealous of people who can go to their schools whenever they want! We have designated hours because the school has a silent alarm system that's set whenever it's closed.

9. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 8, 2013

Our '60s era school is being torn down and we will move into a new building in August. That means that we had to remove everything by yesterday with no chance of getting in after that day, and we aren't allowed into the new school until orientation day. We don't even have room assignments!

10. muinteoir

muinteoir Companion

Jun 8, 2013

What a fun blog! Your room looks like it is a large and bright space. I'm looking forward to seeing it when you are finished.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 8, 2013

If my room wasn't such a disaster and I wasn't taking so many professional development classes, I might consider painting the walls, because my boss has approved that. Unfortunately, I will have to settle for painting the lockers and maybe the shelves (that I would rather pull out entirely), and dealing with the stained putty-colored cinderblock walls.

12. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 8, 2013

I look forward to reading your blog.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 8, 2013

Love it! As if I don't spend enough time on pinterest/reading teaching blogs... now I have another one to follow!

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

I posted about this today!

We're not allowed to paint, yet no one will paint the disgusting walls for us. My mom and I spent a few hours scrubbing the walls with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers today, and they still look horrible.

15. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 9, 2013

Wow - your room is SO big! (And truly, your walls are not bad - when I finally get into my room, I'll take pics!) Our school was originally built as a huge preschool center, so our rooms are very small (I'll measure as soon as I'm able to get into my room). The school was built in the 40s or 50s, so all of the updated wiring, etc, is in pipes on the ceiling & walls. The best I can do is to borrow your Magic Eraser trick (never thought of that - used a sponge mop last year!).

Question: How are you allowed to go/stay so late at night? Our custodians are there Mon-Thurs from 7:30-4:30. Period. Not an extra minute. In fact, they start trying to run people off at 3:30, lol!

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 9, 2013

I am curious: Why do you prefer tables over desks? I've seen tables used in kinder classrooms, but not 1st/2nd.

P.S. I'll be following your blog this summer. I love seeing a room transformed!!!

Side note: I was talking to my bf about your blog, and he said, "You teachers are waaaaaay too easily entertained." I guess only another educator could really understand how much time/effort/energy go into our classrooms!

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

:lol::lol: HAHA I love this. My husband definitely doesn't understand why I have so much fun looking at teacher blogs and pictures of room set ups on Pinterest for hours on end... :rolleyes:

DrivingPigeon, I love that you are logging the time it's taking you. I'd love to show this to one of those wonderful people who gripes about how lazy teachers are an how little work we do!!

I'm excited to see your room transform!

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2013

Love it! Can't wait to follow your progress! Will you continue after your room is set up?

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 9, 2013

We're allowed in the building 6am-10pm every day of the week. It doesn't matter if the custodians are there or not. We all have a passcard to arm and unarm the building.

It's funny that people comment on how big my room is, because it seems so tiny compared to other schools I have visited. I think it helps that I try to keep the furniture to a minimum. My room actually looks larger than other classrooms in my school (kids comment on this all the time-"Your room his HUGE!"), but they are all the same size. I'll have to measure it tomorrow.

20. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 9, 2013

:lol: It's funny, because I saw a teacher who blogged about the process of setting up her classroom over a period of 4 days, and I was SO interested in reading it! I thought about posting a link to the blog on facebook, but I think my family and friends would have me evaluated!

I like having tables, because I try to do a lot of project-based, cooperative learning, which is easier to do at tables. Plus, I hate the messiness and bulkiness of desks. I always kept my desks in pods anyway, so I just switched to tables. I'm loving it! My classroom seems so much more spacious and clean.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 9, 2013

I don't think I will, but that could change. :)

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 10, 2013

So post the link here! LOL

23. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2013

:yeahthat:
    You know all of us teachers want to see it!

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 10, 2013

It was something I came across on Pinterest, but I didn't pin it. Sorry! :(

25. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2013

Your classroom is coming along nicely! its nice that your school gets cleaned first so you can have the whole summer to get things now you like them and finish setting up completely.
    I really like how your cupboards are organized. I kind of have all of my books on one shelf, no rhyme or reason. But I only teach one subject so it's really not that hard to find the books I need. I think I'll use the IKEA magazine files to organize by learning strand. Thanks for the inspiration!

26. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 11, 2013

I really like how your tables and shelves look in there! It just opens up so much space. I'm excited to see you set up your classroom library! I'm reorganizing mine this summer and I am constantly perusing the internet looking for ideas. :)

27. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jun 13, 2013

Love it! My new room this year was the 'graveyard'...aka everything that was unwanted was dumped in there. I had a lot of work to do and felt like I did a lot to set it up for this year, but now I feel like I did nothing compared to you!

28. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 13, 2013

I'm waiting for the district to come pick up all of the salvage items that have been "stored" in my new room for the past three years. Who knows when they will get to it!

29. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 13, 2013

I am drooling over all of your storage! We have about 8' of a very old, very low, very deep counter that is hideously ugly & oh, so hard to organize and retrieve items from! Then we have a "closet" with a hugely heavy metal door, raised above the old a/c air exchange vent (about 2.5' above the floor), that I have been struggling to find a way to organize for the past 4 years, lol. Finally, I (will) have two metal "lockers," about 3' wide X 18" deep by 7' tall. Sounds great, I know, but (1) they don't lock, and (2) most are missing shelves and terribly dinged up. I know, sounds like I do nothing but complain. I'm just anxious to get into my new classroom and finally get busy on it!

30. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Jul 9, 2013

OMG your storage! love the storage! I teach at a very old out door school (built in the 40's). So I dont have room for storage and such :(

31. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 9, 2013

Gosh! You're classroom is so nice! I am jealous of all of that built in storage! That's really awesome!

Also, where did you get your amazing rug?!?

32. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 9, 2013

I honestly don't know how teachers survive without tons of storage!

I found my rug at Overstock.com. :)

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

Oh how fun! I love blogs. I blog myself but haven´t posted since May. I think I just felt so overwhelmed in my new school but I do plan to get back to it.