Setting up IEP Meetings...

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by ecteach, Oct 6, 2012.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 6, 2012

What is the process that you use at your school?

We use google calendar to schedule the meeting and then the members can either accept or decline.

I have LOTS of people just "declining" and not giving a reason why, or not responding at all. I think we need a better process.

Let me know what you do.

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Oct 6, 2012

I send home written documentation with the date and time. It has a place for the parents to checkmark. Can't attend, would like to reschedule, would like to complete IEP meeting by phone.

I give the paperwork to the students the first attempt, phone the parent to let them know it's on the way ( usually have to leave a voice mail) No response I mail the information.

I've always been able to schedule the IEP meeting.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2012

We talk to the team about possible dates the two weeks prior to the meeting. Our special services team meets every week. Then we phone the parent to see if any of these dates work for them.

After that, we send home an invitation with the student and put the meeting into google calendar (as a reminder).

5. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 6, 2012

Ours need to be scheduled 8 weeks in advance of the due date of the IEP. I always start with parents, I have pre-selected date and time. I have found this usually works best. Then I send out an email to team members saying that the IEP meeting has been set. If a team member gets a notice that says attendance is required of them, then they need to attend. If there is a conflict, that team member must contact the parent prior to the meeting with their information or contribution, proposal to the team.

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 6, 2012

Our case manager sends out a monthly calendar of meetings scheduled and which teachers are required to be there. We also get individual notifications within our work emails. I try to triple check every week. My worst nightmare is that I'm scheduled for something I don't know about! :eek:

7. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 6, 2012

I like the month's notice idea....

8. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 6, 2012

That's what I started doing with parents last year after having several not show up. It at least gave me documentation even if they didn't come, and it eliminated the whole guessing if they were actually going to show up thing.

I'm not sure if the OP is talking about teachers or parents though...at my school, the student's gen ed teacher was required to be at the meeting. They weren't allowed to "decline." I was lucky that my building had a permanent sub. About a month in advance I would e-mail the teacher, the perm sub, and cc anyone else part of the meeting (the admin and other sped staff) to tell them what time the meeting was. I then sent at least two reminders leading up to the meeting. If your building doesn't have a perm sub, it might be a coverage issue. I would guess that subs don't want to come in for an hour. Maybe your admin needs to figure something else out.

9. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 6, 2012

10. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Oct 6, 2012

We have a sped secretary that sets everything up and does all paperwork but the IEP. In my building administration expects all teachers who have the student are to attend. I feel very fortunate!

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 6, 2012

We use Outlook Calendar. If any teacher declines, there must be a reason given, and it had better be a valid one. I've given my tutoring schedule to our Department of Exceptional Children so they know the best times to fit me into their scheduling. I'm always happy participate in these meetings so I can get a better feel for how I can help my students meet their goals, but I have a sinking feeling I'm in the minority.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 6, 2012

The case manager schedules it with the parents during the teacher's planning period 99% of the time and then they let us know what day about a week ahead of time. It doesn't bother me most of the time, but there was one time that it was scheduled on a day I was out for training. I don't honestly think not going is an option in my school.

13. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 7, 2012

Do you use it just within the school i.e. to invite the sped member of the team, the gen ed, etc. or do you use it for all including the parents?

if the former, you may wish to talk to the tech guys, see what can be integrated in the school's email system ala outlook calendar.

If the latter, that just seems very odd.

14. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2012

I think some people are confused...

Each special ed teacher is responsible for setting up his/her own meetings.

We call the parent(s) and schedule the meeting at a good time for them.

Then we send the necessary state-required invitation to the parents.

After that, we use google calendar to set up the meeting and invite the regular ed/LEA/Related services personnel.

The google calendar sends an e-mail to everyone that was invited. The people can either accept or decline.

Every special ed teacher has had people declining and not giving a reason why. We have even had our principals do that.

In your opinion, do you think they should have to give a reason why, and find their own replacement? This is how it works for other things, like duty.

Oh, and another thing......all meetings are held after school. (county rule)

15. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 7, 2012

I think they should go unless there is a really good reason to not go and then maybe if they don't go it would be up to the department head for teachers to find someone else and the admins find their replacements.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 7, 2012

There absolutely has to be a legitimate reason why, and the principal should have power of veto if the reason is ridiculous.

17. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2012

ha ha...thanks for making me laugh.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 7, 2012

Does this mean that the meetings are held after contract hours? Or are teachers still "on the clock" when these meetings are being held?

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 7, 2012

Seriously, at my school, if you don't have a good, valid reason for missing an IEP meeting, you must attend. That's why I've given out my lecture and homework help schedule. If I have a doctor or dentist appointment, I try to reschedule that first before asking for another teacher to fill in for me.

20. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2012

We don't have a union. Therefore, we don't have contract hours. Your hours are until your work is done. We get out at 3:15, and I schedule my meetings for 3:30.

We were allowed to have the meetings last year during the school day, but there were some issues with teachers missing out on PLC's (held during planning periods) due to IEP Meetings, so our superintendent put it in writing that we must have all IEP Meetings after school.

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 7, 2012

Well, that's BS! We are paid an hourly rate if any meeting is held before or after school. And that's rare. They should be held during the day with coverage provided.

Also, why are SPED teachers scheduling meetings? Don't you guys have a case manager for that? :eek:

22. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 7, 2012

We are our own case managers...

We teach all day and do all IEP Meetings for the kids on our caseload too.

Don't get me started! :lol:

It's A LOT!