Setting up classroom!?!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ChildWhisperer, Jul 23, 2015.

1. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 23, 2015

Help.
    Up until now, I've only worked in daycares and never had to set up my own classroom. It was all set up for me and all I had to do was organize or reorganize. They had all the supplies and whatever I needed in the resource room.

I am now starting a new job (my first non-daycare job!!! I'm so excited for the normal school day work hours & I finally get benefits!) and they said I will have time to set up my classroom.

I don't know where to begin. I haven't seen it yet so I guess I could wait a bit.
    First day of school is in exactly a month. I will be with 3- to 5-year-olds. Should I set it up similarly to my previous Pre-K classrooms? I've never worked with 3-year-olds before. I've only had 4-year-olds & up and I know they are slightly different developmentally.

3. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 23, 2015

Does your school use ECERS to evaluate their preschool classrooms? This is usually a good place to start to make sure you have all the centers, materials, spacing, etc... that is required. My classroom for 3-5 year olds is set-up just like any preschool classroom. I just differentiate for my 3 year olds by having different activities and center materials available. You might not be able to do a whole lot until you get into the space and can see what the layout is like.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 24, 2015

I would start out minimal and then increase as the year goes on and as you get to know your students! Sometimes it isn't the age gap but the dynamics between them all! Congrats and good luck!

5. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 24, 2015

Ah ok, thanks.
    I'm not sure if they use ECERS (although it sounds familiar so maybe?!). I go in for orientation soon and in-service is next week so I guess I'll find out more :)

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 6, 2015

Well, my TA kind of took over, which I was weary about at first, but I let it happen and I actually really like the layout now. Now we're working on the wall decor. Again, not too thrilled about the theme she had already picked out & started working on before even talking to me, but because she had already started working on it, I felt bad saying no, so we are now going with that theme.
    She has a very strong "my way or the highway" personality & I am more laid back so I feel a little unsure about us being together since I'm supposed to be the lead.
    Trying to stay positive and hoping it all works out!
    She doesn't seem too thrilled to be there anyway & even mentioned once this might be her last year soooooooo, maybe I can do my own theme next year :)