Setting up classroom?? When do teachers usually go in?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by MissNewTeach161, Aug 8, 2008.

1. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Hi everyone!!! I was so excited last week to see my room and its so overwhelming! But then they had said they don't want anyone to go in start setting up until two weeks before. Now I call and the principal said 1 week before! WHAT IS GOING ON?! I feel like I am not going to have enough time and THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR:( I definately want to have everything ready :eek:

3. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

We were able to go in 2 weeks before. They always make us wait because they are waxing the floors. Try to recruit everyone you can think of to help you. GOOD LUCK!!!!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

I didn't get into my room the first year until during the new teacher orientation stuff--about a week before school started. It sounds like a decent amount of time, but it was filled with meetings and tours!

Try not to stress too much. You don't have to have your room perfect on Day 1. If you're able to stay late a day or two before the kids come, and if you can bring a buddy to help, you'll probably get most of the big stuff done.

Congratulations on your new position!

5. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

Thanks everyone! I was getting worried cause there are some posts I've been reading that people are already almost done with their classrooms! But hopefully it will be ok!

6. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Aug 8, 2008

Congrats on the job, MissNew! :) Like Cassie said, you'll get it done eventually. Just sit down and make a list of everything you absolutely have to have done by day 1, like physical structure of desks, etc., BB's, classroom mgmt rules posted, your desk organized and ready to go, etc. And as previously mentioned, enlist anyone and everyone's help you can get. Delegate jobs. I had my mom, dad, husband, a friend and her daughter come to help me! My friend papered my BB's, her daughter helped unpack boxes and put games and puzzles on a shelves, my husband moved furniture, my dad put up BB decorations, and my mom drove me crazy. After school started I was going to stay late and work on organizing the file cabinets and teacher resource books that were left to me. And I'm glad I held off on that part 'cause they ended up letting me go after day three! But don't worry. Hopefully that is rare and you'll be just fine!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2008

Keep in mind that a lot of people who are done with their rooms are veteran teachers who know how to unpack in a big hurry! Getting into the groove takes time, maybe a few years even.

It might help if you made a prioritized list of things that needed to get done. That way, you can check them off as you finish (which always helps me feel like I'm accomplishing something), or have an easier time delegating to a friend or new co-worker who is helping you, like Zoom suggested. You might want to think about doing these things:

• decide on a physical layout for the room; implement the layout
    • gather and peruse curriculum materials
    • put up a back-to-school or welcome bulletin board
    • decide on a skeleton discipline plan (basic ideas)
    • choose a list of 5-10 procedures you can teach in the first weeks of school (bathroom, pencil sharpening, absences)

8. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

My first year was crazy getting set up. I moved 700 miles to get my job, and we didn't move until a week before school started. By the time we moved everything into the house and the school, I had two days before preplanning started to work. My husband wasn't working yet, so I put him to work in my classroom.Luckily, we have four days of preplanning to help get our rooms done. This summer I switched classrooms so I've been at the school a lot this summer and am almost done with my room (a week before open house!) Yeah! Still this summer (after two years of teaching) I had friends and my parapro in the room helping.

9. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 8, 2008

My very first teaching job was in FL. We moved on Aug 3 and I began teacher in-services the very next day. :lol: I was only able to get into my room 1 day before the kids arrived. It was....chaos to be honest. DO as much as you can at home. I make a lot of my forms and lists at home and email them to myself at school to print.

10. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Aug 9, 2008

Today is when i was officially hired and really didnt have too much time to set up my room (with all the meeting and what not). Class starts on Monday, and the campus is closed for the weekend!!!! yikes! Im tryin not to sweat though, im coming in early on Mon and will put up some of the things i have gathered over the years as well as the things people in my department have loaned me. Sometimes you gotta roll with the punches and just hope for the best. I am a huge worry wart, but will have to put that to the side if i want to survive my first year. Good luck and im sure you will be fine

11. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

When I was hired last year no one, not even the principal, was allowed in the school during the summer due to construction. I was allowed into my room 4 days before school started, and spent 2 days cringing at the disarray and trying to find an order to things. The science teacher in the next room was new too and we spent many hours with surprised looks on our faces as we tried to clean out the lab and classroom areas so we could use them. I was still finding things in May that I didn't know I had. We finally got time to really do some serious cleaning after school let out. I also took some time to reorganize my storeroom. We are not officially required to be back in school until next Monday, and classes start on Wednesday. With meetings and such the first 2 mornings, that only leaves about 6 hours to prep everything. At least I knew this last June, so I worked to get things in decent order before I left. All I really have to do is unpack and organize all the stuff I collected over the summer for school and put last year's senior research posters on my bulletin board (hate blank space, but love student work examples).

12. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

We're allowed to go in anytime we want. I've been in since July!

13. MissNewTeach161

MissNewTeach161 Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

so0o0o lucky!!!!

14. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 13, 2008

I went to my class today to do bulletin boards. Unfortunately, there was no colored BB paper so I got nothing done!