Setting up Centers in 2nd grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LATechTeacher, Aug 30, 2006.

1. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Aug 30, 2006

I teach 2nd grade Language Arts/Reading and my students are at an extremely low level. I would like to do some small group reading/phonics with them, but I need to figure out something that the other students can do by themselves. I would like to do 30 min. increments, and 3 groups of 6-7. I like the centers idea but I only have enough room in my class for about 3 centers going at one time. If I have a group, and 1 group is at centers what can I do with the other 6-7 students? Any ideas?

3. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 30, 2006

Have you looked into Evan-Moor's "take it to your seat" center books? They are amazing (if a little expensive) - check out their website - www.evan-moor.com - they have different levels of books and it takes a little work to put them together, but they are really effective. They've got ones for phonics, writing, and comprehension skills. Good luck!

4. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Aug 30, 2006

Thanks, I ordered a catalog to look at!

5. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 30, 2006

Here are some center ideas I have used.
    Spelling Center-the kids play "Go Fish'' with their spelling words or they can stamp their spelling words. They can also use white boards to practice giving each other spelling words.
    Computer Center-do you have any computers in your room? I usually used Reading Rabbit for this center or some kind of educational learning game.
    Language Arts Center-there are games you can purchase that reinforce blends, diagraphs, etc. I also used magnetic letters that the kids could use to work on the vocab we were using.
    Writing Center-I usually had topics the kids could write about. They were free to write about a topic of their choice if they wanted to.
    Listening Center-if you have a CD or tape player in your room, the kids could use headphones to listen to a story and then maybe write about the story or use a story map to tell about the story they listened to.
    Reading Center-the kids would be free to read anything in the room.
    I usually did math centers during this time too. Sometimes I had a Science/S.S. center.
    I usually had 2 kids at most centers. Sometimes I would put 4 at Spelling and Language Arts if I needed to. I would rotate them every day. In one class where I was a LTS, the teacher allowed her students to choose their centers. She had 4 kids at the Spelling and Math Center.
    Most of these centers don't take a lot of room. They can be put in tubs or small spaces around the room.
    Another thing I like to do is start with SSR. I usually set a timer for 15 min. The room gets quiet and I can start pulling some kids for groups or assessments. The kids pick the books they are going to read for SSR when they come into the room in the morning.

I also love the "Take it to Your Seat' literacy centers. I used those when I was a third grade LTS.

6. rose05

rose05 Rookie

Sep 2, 2006

Hi. I would have the third group of students doing independent work. For example I would have them practicing their handwriting, writing in their journal, reading a DEAR book (I require my students to fill out a sheet before switching books). You could also have them complete a worksheet that you will mark later.

7. tgim

tgim Habitué

Sep 2, 2006

Reader's Theatre
    Listening
    Computer
    silent reading
    phonics/word work
    overhead-vocabulary or phonics
    art
    writing