Setting up a Student Teaching Assignment

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by Oregon Teacher, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Oregon Teacher

Oregon Teacher Rookie

Nov 8, 2013

I am a certified teacher, but I am adding a Special Education endorsement to my license. I am almost done with my master's program, I just have the student teaching portion left. It is 120 contact hours with students. However, I was surprised to learn that I am responsible for arranging my own student teaching placement. This surprised me because when I did my student teaching for my first teaching license it was set up by my university. I was wondering if others have had the experience of needing to set up their own student teaching? I am concerned about finding a teacher that wouldn't mind having me in his or her classroom. I would love any thoughts or advice. Thank you so much!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 8, 2013

My college set up my student teaching, but I had to do almost all of the legwork.

If you aren't familiar with districts in the area you want to student teach, call their personnel directors unless their websites list a specific number for student teachers.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2013

Surely your college has a list of schools that have been amenable to taking on STs. Also check with the schools where recent grads of your program have been hired. If you have subbed anywhere, check those schools as well.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Nov 14, 2013

Hi, I just PMed you. :)

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2013

Wow. I've never heard of having to set up your own placement.