Setting up a HS Classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by vivalavida, Jul 22, 2014.

1. vivalavida

vivalavida Companion

Jul 22, 2014

I got the keys to my new classroom today! Woohoo! There are files, posters, etc. left behind by the previous teacher so I'm deciding whether or not I want to go through all of that. I'm excited to start organizing my first classroom, but a little overwhelmed. What do YOU think are the most important elements to consider when setting up a classroom?

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 22, 2014

How you want your seats arranged. I spent my whole first year trying to figure out if I was a rows person, a group person, a lines person-- turns out I'm a double U-rows person. :p It makes a huge difference, IMO, because it can really influence the flow of your room and your classroom management (use of proximity).

4. IdahoSpEdTeach

IdahoSpEdTeach Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

I clean, clean, clean stuff first. Then set up desks. Then get my teacher space set up. After that it's bulletin boards and decorations. I can't wait to get into my new classroom. Summer school just ended, and so I can get in to my room. I'm moving from elementary to secondary this fall. :)

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

definitely how you want your room to be arranged. Where your desk will be, how you will give direct instruction, what the seating arrangement will look like.

Worry far less about the posters and decorations than getting the first couple of weeks of lesson plans ready. Prepare emergency sub plans.

I'm not a fan of decorated classrooms to start (and I get GREAT feedback on that choice from my students, especially the ADD/ADHD ones. But if you are, that is something that you can add, bit by bit as the year progresses.

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

I start with my desks. Then I get my desk and their table set up. Then it's the boards where I post the daily agenda and homework. Posters are last.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 22, 2014

When I first got my classroom, I cleared out decades of filth first and labeled and organized everything. But that was mainly because there was a lot of science equipment I could potentially need in the future and I needed to know where it was.

I would do desks first, but like history said you may end up changing then throughout the year. I didn't find my ideal arrangement until my second year.

Then I would figure out which parts of your room correspond to your classroom procedures and prepare them as necessary. (Like where is your inbox, where do students grab papers, etc)

8. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 25, 2014

great post, I saw my classroom, so much nicer than my stu. teaching rm. So much wall space! I have no idea what seating arrangement is best.

9. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Jul 25, 2014

You might want to see what kind of cooperative learning your school has. For instance, if they use something like Kagan, you will need to have your class set up a certain way.

10. abat_jour

abat_jour Companion

Jul 25, 2014

thanks. I will google Kagan, never heard of it. I know I have a lot of autonomy. I am planning on the procedures. Because Im block I will have groups; so seating will change on activity.