Setting Up a Classroom: Where Do You Start?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Aug 15, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

I'm a brand new teacher...teaching 1st grade this year.

I'm really creative and have a lot of ideas for the classroom, but I don't know where to start. It's only the 2nd year the school is open, so it's new and kind of a blank slate. I'm going in tomorrow to start setting up...

Do you look at what you have, organize, and then figure out what you need? Do you start with a theme? (I'm thinking Tropical (Starfish), Jungle (Monkeys), or maybe Frogs). I can't decide. :eek:

3. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2006

What you do depends on how much time you have. My first year I had one day to set up my classroom, so I didn't do anything theme-related at all. It was as bare bones as you could get.

Think about the basics, get them covered, then embellish if time allows. In my opinion, the "basics" would include behavior management plan, class routines, and curriculum.

If you need any materials for your behavior management plan, get those made. As far as class routines, how will students be seated, where will supplies be kept, etc. For curriculum, what materials will you need space for or displayed? (word wall, calendar, etc.)

When you first go into the classroom, I'd quickly look at the materials you have. Don't spend hours arranging them, though. I quickly checked to see what was there, sketched out a floor plan, and started arranging the furniture.

4. Eagle12

Eagle12 Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

Have you already been into the classroom? I just got hired on to our district so I am brand new to second grade as well as the school. I got my keys last week and have been working hard ever since. The first thing I did was enlist the help of my husband to move all my stuff over. I have accumalated al ot over the years and spent the weekend moving it all. I spent the last two days unpacking and organizing where I wanted to put everything AND CLEANING!!! Talk about dust. Now I will start decorating with my theme. I think it is important to have your class organized where you want things to be. That is the hardest part. Good luck and most importantly, have fun with it!

5. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Aug 15, 2006

I've been in the classroom once. It has lots of good storage, cubbies, and desks. I don't have many materials of my own - just what the school has so far.

There are no individual desks - just group desks (5 chairs can fit at a desk)...so I'm not sure where to keep their individual stuff (I'm thinking about having community materials - so there's no "he has my pencil, she took my scissors!")

I'm thinking about doing a "Jungle Theme." Have something like "Welcome to the Jungle," "We're Bananas About First Grade," "Monkeying Around." I'm not sure.