Setting up a classroom and moving last minute?!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SCTeacher23, Aug 13, 2009.

1. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

So I had an interview today for 1st grade and it went really well. The P really seemed to like my answers and I really liked her and the school. She gave me a tour, introduced me to some of the teachers, and told me all about the school. At the end, she told me that she has 3 other people to interview today but asked me if I was still interested in the job and said she was going to call my references.

My only concern is I need to be there Monday to start (the 17th) and then school starts the 25th. I also need to move this Sunday because this school is several hours away from where I live. I find out tomorrow, so I need to make a decision tonight in case I am offered it. What do you all think... has anyone had to move and start up a class so last minute and how did it go?

3. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

I have never had to do this... However, if you are offered the job, I would ask the principal about places to live. I would explain your situation and I would make it work. Your principal may have some good ideas of places to live or may know of someone on staff looking for a roomie! Good luck!:rolleyes:

4. misteacher

misteacher Companion

Aug 13, 2009

I have. I had less than 2 weeks to move across the country from Minnesota to Arizona. I flew out to sign my contract, find an apartment, and get the utilities turned on. Then I drove out with my stuff and had less than 3 days before school started to set up my room and attend inservices. My next job was also a short turn around. I was home for my sister's wedding and was offered a job. Flew back on Sat. to pack up my apartment which was 2 1/2 hours away from my new job, got a new apartment on Mon. after signing my contract, and started on Thursday. I just made sure I had the furniture in place in my classroom and had lots of getting to know you activities that first week. I spent that first weekend getting my classroom ready and gradually got my home in order. I learned from that to not sweat the small stuff. You can work it out. It helps if you have friends or family that can help you move. My neighbors in Minnesota actually drove out with me and a family friend who lived in AZ met us at my apartment to help us unload my stuff. I hope you get the job and just take it day by day if you have to hit the ground running. Good luck!

5. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

don't sweat it!

that sounds really promising...don't worry about all of the details. If needed maybe you can stay at an extended stay hotel or ask a local hotel if they have weekly/monthly rates. Also, you can ask the principal if she knows of a reputable realtor, they can always find short term rentals. In this market there are a ton of houses that are sitting empty, speaking from expereince as I am a Realtor as well. Good Luck!

6. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 13, 2009

I did this. I took a job approximately 3 weeks before school started. I drove out there almost immediately to sign papers and look for a place to live. I ended up finding a house for a reasonably good price, but the process to buy a house is not fast. I ended up staying in a Motel 8 for the 1st two weeks of the school year while I closed on the house and got my stuff moved down.

It was hectic, but it worked out....

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2009

I just got switched from 4th to Pre-K, after I had already set up my 4th-grade classroom. Talk about trying to move ASAP :)

You'll make it. Just get the major stuff done, and don't worry about nitpicky details.

Good luck!

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2009

Oh my.... time to have a major rethink. All the best to you!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2009

A teacher at my old school moved from about 15 hours away and was there about three days after she was offered the job. The school also put her up in a local motel for a couple of weeks before she found a place to live. But definitely ask about places to live. My principal helped to get me into a great (subsidized) townhouse complex. Good luck!

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 13, 2009

I'm doing it right now!!! Just got my job and am basically moving a few states away. School starts soon!

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 13, 2009

I got hired in a city 3 hours away on a Thursday. I rented a car and drove down on the Saturday and pretty much took the first apartment I saw. I moved on Monday (with 2 suitcases) and started work on the Tuesday. I just moved from Georgia and didn't even own a car so I had to take a bus. Luckily a guy who worked at my school lived a block over and he drove me for a month until I bought a car. All of my furniture was in storage in my "home" city for 2 months until I was able to afford movers. All of my school materials were being delivered from Georgia to Seattle. I flew to Seattle to pick them up at my sister's place and we drove them over the border to Canada and put them on a bus... I didn't get them until the end of October. I pretty well lived with some plastic dishes, a frying pan and pot, an air mattress and my laptop (with internet) for 2 months. I bought a TV in December but only b/c my nephew was coming to visit me and I needed a few hours of peace, lol.

** I moved to Georgia from Canada 2 weeks before school started. I flew down with my luggage allowance - 1 carry on and 2 suitcases:eek:

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 13, 2009

I was just about to say this. If it were me, maybe extended stay and then plan on moving over Labor Day weekend, which is really just around the corner.

13. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

What school in Columbia? I grew up there! Funny, I have been considering moving back but didn't think there any jobs. Especially first grade! Anyway...best of luck...lI am moving in a few weeks and we start school her on Monday too! Maybe I can make some reccomendations

14. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 13, 2009

Columbia is where I currently live now. The school is in NC. I haven't been able to get a job in Columbia, so that is why I am considering moving.

15. teacheragz

teacheragz Rookie

Aug 13, 2009

Oh...I misunderstood. Already exhausted and school hasn't even started yet!
    Best of luck to you. Do what your heart tells you and you can't go wrong.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

We've had people get hired the day before school starts here-luckily I got hired in July my first year! Right now we're waiting on numbers before possibly moving teachers around. We have 46 signed up for third grade, but we have 3 teachers. There are at least 75 signed up for second grade and 2 teachers. Our principal is going to wait and see if more third graders sign up before he moves one of our third grade teachers to second. School starts the 24th and I don't think he'll decide until sometime next week. It's pretty definite we'll have another second grade, the question is just who will be teaching it! Everyone at my school is pretty good about helping out at the last minute.

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 14, 2009

All the districts around me are getting record numbers too. So, I think that you just need to keep the faith that if it is meant to be... it will work out. Even though you will be a little inconvenienced for a short amount of time. It can be done and luckily your family is only a few hours away. They can be a tremendous support.