Setting Up a Brand New Classroom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MorahMe, Jul 2, 2010.

1. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Help! I'm setting up a brand new pre-k/K classroom. So far, i have tables, toy shelves with bins (on order), a few chairs, 2 easels (on order), a few toys, some Big Books, regular books, and a little bit in the way of craft supplies. The school has no money, I'm raising the funds for my classroom myself. (It's a private religious school, for low income immigrant families)

My wish list includes: (in no particular order)
    chairs
    glue
    scissors
    construction paper
    paint containers
    paint
    blocks
    shelves for blocks
    reversible dressing vests
    lacing beads
    sequencing beads
    colored pencils
    crayons
    Melissa and Doug See and Spell
    housecleaning toy set
    bean bags
    bean bags activity CD

What am I missing?

3. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

One of my favorite cheap things for pre-K - large pieces of fabric. Just get whatever is cheap at the fabric store.

It can become a tent, or a dress, or any number of imaginative things.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Several people have posted about good results from Donors Choose grants.

I know nothing about it, but try using the Search feature.

5. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Danny'sNanny-thanks. I'm getting a whole bunch of fabric for free on Monday.

Aliceacc-Donors Choose is only for public schools. I work in a private school...

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Ooops, sorry.

See, told you I didn't know anything about it.:eek:

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Check your weekly sales flyers, Target Dollar Spot, dollar stores, KMart, Walmart. Office supply stores (Office Max and Staples) start having crazy sales in the summer-
    You can find crayons in some ads for 19 cents a box, other low low prices on supplies. Shop with a family member or friend in case there are limits on how much you can buy.

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2010

Oh, and bring some sort of proof that you're a teacher. Sometimes they'll change the limits for teachers.

10. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

I second freecycle!

You never know what you will find on freecycle! You could probably find some toys, and picture books.

11. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 2, 2010

Oh, believe me, I've been living on freecycle, and making my family nuts with it! It's very limited though...

I've also set myself up on adoptaclassroom.org, and a few other free sites to get things.

The problem is, even though I'm going to have a small class-15 students, max, no one has enough of anything for 15 students!

12. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 2, 2010

Are you planning to go through the day as a group or in small groups? Will you need 15 red crayons or will 3 groups of 5 be open? Perhaps you would only need 5 sets of things?

Just asking their are many different teaching styles and they all have merit.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jul 2, 2010

Ask eveyrone you know if they have anything. I have several boxes of brand new crayons--and if you could find a few other people to donate crayons, you would be set.

I ran a non-pofit for years. I asked local groups to help me out. Try groups like Altrusa, Kiwanas, Lions, Elks, etc. If you have a friend who works at -- (insurance office, medical office, etc.), as them to fill a box for you.

Finding donations gets easier to longer you do it. I hit all the baby doctors for donated formula. Some began calling me when they had surplus, while others hid in the back room.

14. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jul 2, 2010

also look at garage sales and once upon a child stores

15. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 3, 2010

We use recycled containers for paint. Yogurt cups for painting at the easel and Lean Cusine trays for sponge/roller painting. Then you can toss them instead of cleaning them.

My preschool kids love Rock Crayons (made with soy) over the normal crayola crayons. The colors are more vibrant and I like the grip they must use.

16. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 3, 2010

Oh ya! I forgot when I started out that I was using the cast off crayons of school kid homes and church groups while i waited for someone to donate the new clean ones. We melted then down........same idea. What a lovely memory.

17. BCPMWK

BCPMWK Companion

Jul 3, 2010

I second trying local businesses and churches. You might get a Sunday School class or two to adopt your room. If you have friends that attend large churches, ask them to find out if anyone at their church may be willing to help. Businesses often want to help, but may not be aware of what is needed. Instead of giving your long list to everyone, try to give each group a few items. That way you'll probably get several of each item. If you don't really have enough of something (scissors) let the kids work in pairs to share or something.

18. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 3, 2010

You have received a lot of good advice so far. I have been in your shoes before, I once set up a pre-k classroom using only items found at garage sales, Goodwill, or on eBay. I have pictures of each of my centers posted on my website so you can get an idea of what to look for. I also have a page just for teachers new to pre-k or kindergarten. I highly recommend Craig's List if it hasn't already been mentioned. Here's my Top 5 list of recommended items for new teachers.

19. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 3, 2010

Thanks so much everyone! I have basically given up on getting everything before the first day of school (obviously) and will be using lots of other people's "garbage". You just reminded me of my old stock of crayons that I have hidden away at home...

I'm not sure how exactly I'm planning to run my classroom yet, it depends on the number of students I end up with. The school is not really sure yet what they want me to do either, as I'm the first teacher they will be having who has had any experience in pre-k/K, and this is my first time running my own room (unless you count my failed experiences), so I can't really advise them much either.

20. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 3, 2010

Your public library will be able to help out with the material you would like to read aloud. Depending on the book skills of the children you could leave them in your book area.......but you will at least want to have a close guard on the library books during the beginning of the school year.

Blocks can be made out of food boxes, noodles can be colored and made into lacing materials..........tp tubes can be craft materials. Find some blank paper to draw on and some reciepes for playdough and finger paint and you could be off to a rolling start.

21. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 3, 2010

For books, so far I have a huge collection of my own to start me off for reading out loud, but since most of the children haven't been to school at all yet, I wouldn't trust them with anything but board books on their own.

Blank paper I just found someone to donate, so I'm off to a good start on that too.

As for the other things, I'm not sure I want to bring food items into the classroom, and making my own play dough and finger paints will also cost. I'm still looking into options though.

22. histonfan

histonfan Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

there is a forum on here about this i just thought i would tell you.

23. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 10, 2010

Which one are you referring to?

24. histonfan

histonfan Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

the one in the old forums bit.