Setting up a 6th grade middle school classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by newteacher6, May 25, 2012.

1. newteacher6

newteacher6 Rookie

May 25, 2012

As most of you know, I am a new teacher this year. I began at the end of the year as a leave replacement; however, I believe I will be back next year. The last 2 days were are allowed to set up our classroom for the following year. I want to incorporate some really good ideas. I need better management and I want it to look organized and bright in my room. I need serious suggestions!! I teach in a middle school so they children switch classes..

Any suggestions ??? Thank You!

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 25, 2012

What subject will you teach?

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 25, 2012

Here is a slideshow of what my 7th grade language arts classroom looked like last year. I had 35 students per class period, so my room was crowded. Normally I had 25 per class. I'm hoping my numbers go back down this year.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 25, 2012

I think a lot depends on your subject and how you like to teach?

Do you want the students in groups, a circle (semi-circle), rows, etc?

Buy fabric for your bulletin boards-no more cutting paper and it lasts for years. Get some for any open cabinet space as well.

6. roxstar

roxstar Companion

May 26, 2012

Could you tell me how you attached the fabric to your shelves? I have these standard ugly steel shelves and I would like to make my room less drab next year.

THanks!

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 26, 2012

When do they clean your classrooms? In every school I have worked at, they take every single thing out of your room and put it out in the hall and strip and wax the floors. So while I can get some things organized, totally setting up my room would be pointless.

Ima, I like the curtains you have in your room at the tops of the windows. Did you make those? I could do that in my room. Would definitely dress it up a little.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 26, 2012

I made the curtains for my windows and my shelves. I used regular yard-good fabric to make a basic valence, and I have them hanging on tension rods.

The ones for the shelves are made from flat sheets that I bought at Wal-Mart. They were cheaper than yard goods when I needed that much fabric. I cut them to the size I needed and hemmed the edges. I put button holes along the top and hooked them on Command clips. I use the small, clear ones that are made for Christmas lights.

9. newteacher6

newteacher6 Rookie

Jun 6, 2012

I work in a low income community. The school is extremely old and my classroom is dull looking. I saw the pictures of your classroom and it looks great! My room has about 35 desks. The room is small. What do you recommend I put on old shelves that are old? Maybe wall paper? I need something to go on top of them. I like the idea of curtains but the way my classroom is set up it would be difficult. Are there any websites with cheap classroom materials? I can go broke buying all those things lol

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 6, 2012

Don't try to redecorate your room all at once, newteacher, or you WILL go broke! LOL. Just focus on one or two things a semester that you want to really fix up. For old shelves, try contact paper (it's like wallpaper but easier to use). You can get it at Walmart.

11. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 9, 2012

Wow--your room looks great! I teach 7th grade English, so I am going to use your photos as inspiration for my room this upcoming year.

I had a question--do you ever do group work and if so, do you have the students rearrange their desks?

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Jun 9, 2012

I got some spherical paper lanterns from a party store for about $2 and hung them in my ceiling using paper clips. I got sooo many compliments from parents and students. You can get them in bright colors to match the decor of your room.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 9, 2012

I use Sharpie markers and mark on my floor. I have black marks for rows and red marks for groups. Once the lead chair goes into place, the other kids know where to put their chairs.

It didn't work as well last year with 35 chairs in my room, but it worked great with my usual 25.

If you're allowed to paint, spray paint can do wonders for old, beat up metal shelving. Contact paper is good, too. I put contact paper on the tops of scratched shelves.

One of my former co-workers used plastic tablecloths for covering bookshelves, and I've also used cheap shower curtains. Sometimes thinking outside the box is good for coming up with decorations. I'm also one to scavenge yard sales and thrift stores for things, too.

My school is also in a low-income area. Our building opened in 1998. Before that, we were in a really old, small building. I can't imagine how I had all my stuff in that tiny room.