Setting the scene in the classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by country_teacher, Aug 17, 2006.

1. country_teacher

country_teacher New Member

Aug 17, 2006

Hello!
    I am interested to hear about how people approach their first lesson with a new group of students at the beginning of the year - particularly if you are new to a school and the students already know each other. Many activities and icebreakers seem to work best when both students and teachers dont know each other - but what are some good techniques to get to know a group of students who have been to school together for several years?
    Ta :)

3. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I'm in your same situation - new teacher, I thought the kids know each other already. Today, in the last few minutes of class I had students (sophomores) write 5 facts on a scrap piece of paper. You can choose anything, I did:
    5. something unique about them
    4. something about their family
    3. a hobby
    2. some physical descriptor
    1. their name
    Then I collected them all and beginning today and continuing for the next few days, I read a few each day, seeing if the other kids can guess whose facts those are (before I get to the name). Sometimes they can, sometimes not, but they all learn something new about that class, and the kid whose paper it was can tell a story about one of them if they want. I put mine in there too so I tell them my story. We did a few papers today in some classes and they seemed to like it.
    I was actually pretty surprised by how one class in particular, no kids seemed to know each other's names!

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 17, 2006

I had some teachers in HS who would ask us for an obscure fact about ourselves, where our most interesting vacation had been to, the best thing we did over the summer, etc. Once or twice we played 'Two Truths and a Lie," where everybody says 3 things about themselves, and the other classmates had to figure out which one was the lie. This gets tricky when kids know each other really well, but is almost more fun becasue it forces you to be creative! ;)

EnglishMiss, what a cool idea! :)

5. irishteach

irishteach Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

love the ideas!!! thanks & i didn't even ask this question. I'm a second year. good luck first years!