Setting goal using a percentage

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by NoviceTutor, Oct 1, 2017.

1. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Oct 1, 2017

Hi Members,
    I was hoping that you can help me understand the use of percentage as part of the goal setting to show growth. Our grade level has to look at the student math average percentage score from the previous year and then will increase that percentage score by 10% as the achievement goal in mathematics. The calculation seems straightforward at first, and we just took the last year's score of 30% and then add 10% more to make it 40%. The grade level considers the goal "specific" and "achievable" by the end of the school year. Here are my questions: If there are 7 different classrooms within the grade level, does the 10% increase refer to the individual classroom or the total number of students from all the 7 classroom? Also, does the 10% increase refer to the students who are at or above or the grade level? The previous year's percentage score shows the percentage of students who are at or above the grade level. Now that the grade level sets the goal to 40%, what does it means for each classroom in terms of how many students that have to show growth? Please help. I feel the goal is not defined clearly.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2017

This may vary by school/district/administrator.
    If the 30% was grade level, it seems this year's goal would be as well?

bella84 and NoviceTutor like this.
  4. NoviceTutor

NoviceTutor Companion

Oct 1, 2017

Hi Czacza, I agree with your observation. Am I correct to say then that a certain number of the students within the grade level NEEDs to score at least 40% in math at the end of the school year? Or is it that the average of all the math percentage scores of all the 7 classrooms must be at least at 40% on the final assessment by the end of the year?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2017

Usually the scores are reported as percent of grade level. 30% seems pretty abysmal. Are you in a very low performing school?