Setting a Poor Example

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Born2beTeacher, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Born2beTeacher

Born2beTeacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/Professor+defends+embattled+dean/4948363/story.html

This story has been all over the news here in Canada. The Dean of Medicine at U Alberta came under fire for plagiarizing a portion of a speech he delivered at a convocation ceremony, and some are saying that he should be permitted to remain the Dean.

Personally, I feel that is outrageous. Teachers and Professors should be held accountable for academic integrity- after all, we preach to our students that claiming other's work and ideas as our own is immoral, and thus we should be setting an example lest students think it is alright to cheat. Just my :2cents:

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

Its a speech. I figure that people take ideas from other speechs all of the time to incorporate them into their own. It is not a paper he turned in to get credit for that he did not cite. It was a speech. Is it really that big of a deal that a speech was not cited. Speeches are meant as motivation for a ceremony like that. He was not out to try and gain money, a grade, or notariety. Yes, it would have been a nice thing to site parts of the speech used, but I don't see it as necessary.

4. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 15, 2011

I think it is awful and really sets a poor example. It also shows how little he cared about his speech or commencement. There's a difference between using quotations from literature or famous people and copying a portion of another speech word for word.

5. old_School

old_School Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

A good speech writter first makes a outline of his/speech. Next they use the outline as a rough draft as they write. However, the best speeches our written from the heart. Stealing or barrowing others ideas for a speech is just petty. If you have to steal or barrow ideas from others for a speech, it just shows you are a uncreative worthless pile of junk with no real talent. Stealing others work is just plain wrong.

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 15, 2011

That sounds extremely over the top; calling the person an uncreative worthless pile of junk with no real talent. Maybe that person has talent and is good at their job, but writing a speech is not their specialty.
    It makes me think of a Preacher who uses other peoples sermons. I have known many who do this (yes they give credit for it, I don't see why they have to), but it doesn't make them worthless if they are still getting the message across that they want to.

7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 15, 2011

That is awful precidence. It is terrible to take others thoughts, words, and ideas and present them as your own. Someday someone would say, remember when Professor X said Y.... No, he should know better and should cite the taken portions of the speech by at least saying, "In the words of .....".

Wow is all I can say. Kids lose college scholarships, kids lose placement in different universities because they plagiarize other peoples thoughs or ideas, and here you have a Dean doing what others are punished for. No wonder people try to get away with anything they can - great role models - not!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 15, 2011

A department head where I went to college forgot to cite some data in a lecture and had to resign as department head but got to keep tenure and his job as professor. It was a big scandal.

9. gamerTeacher

gamerTeacher Rookie

Jun 15, 2011

Why wouldn't you need to give credit for a speech? Just because it is spoken and not written doesn't mean that you shouldn't give credit(especially in large chunks or an entire sermon). Yes, people use ideas from others all the time, and I don't think many speeches can be seen as truly original, but the actual speech should be different. Whether written or spoken, you are still taking credit for someone’s words- that’s plagiarism.

PS: the definition of plagiarism is the unauthorized use or close imitation of the language and thoughts of another author and the representation of them as one's own original work.- I'd say speeches count

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2011

Good speakers also have a great understanding of the intricacies of our language...the grammar, usage, spelling and conventions of speech:2cents: