Service Project ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 14, 2013.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2013

Does anyone have ideas for service projects I could do with my 2nd-graders? I wanted to do something a bit different. It seems like everyone makes cards for hospitals or nursing homes, picks up trash outside, etc. I may end up doing something along those lines after all, but I thought I would see if there were any different ideas out there.

I do not want to do a drive of some sort, because my school already does a number of drives, without much success. I don't want to ask families for even more.

Also, I am unable to take a field trip somewhere, or use a kitchen (to bake dog biscuits, for example).

Thanks!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2013

Our kids made cards for police officers and firemen (that may be the same as what you don't want to do). I thought about having them make something for the different professions in the community each month. What they came up with to write was really sweet. The last month in May they make something for the staff on campus.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2013

I actually like that idea...I feel like it might be less common to write to police officers and firefighters.

I just remember when my great-grandma was in a nursing home, we would visit her and she would have about 5 new cards or projects from little kids. Not that that's a bad thing, but I just think everyone thinks of nursing homes first.

5. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

My students made "boo boo bunnies" to donate to the local hospital er. They are made with washcloths and can be used to put ice on children's "boo boos." They loved making them and the hospital loved receiving them.

6. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2013

I had a church group do a project for the Meals on Wheels program. They deliver meals to elderly people in their homes. We decorated paper bags and made placemat. We also made favor type things related to holidays to be added to the bags so the projects were spaced out a bit.
    Another project we did that would be more like a drive was to put together birthday party kits for the homeless shelter. They had a cake mix and icing and some simple decorations or favors.

7. Massieduck

Massieduck Rookie

Aug 14, 2013

You could also have them write letters to military members. I know when I was a young girl that's what we did once, and I really enjoyed it.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2013

Mary...love the idea for meals on wheels. Just coloring pictures for the elders.... what a great idea!!!

What about making cards for kids at st. jude's or local children's hospital?

9. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

What about making cards and/or posters saying thank you to some of the "non teacher" staff people? Like the custodians, receptionists, cafeteria monitors and cooks, nurse, counselor, etc?

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2013

Lots of places do penny drives to raise money for different things. Maybe something where you could help out another school?

I've raised money for these organizations:
    http://www.pencilsofpromise.org/
    http://www.penniesforpeace.org/

Or I'm sure those schools destroyed in the tornadoes in Moore, OK this spring could use donations. Or schools that suffered damage due to Hurricane Sandy last year.

Or....
    There's also Scholastic Pajama Program that does pajamas and new book drives for needy students.

Maybe your class could set up a drive for one of these at the school or at the local library? (Kids could decorate flyers/posters and they wouldn't really have to be at the library for the drive.)

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 14, 2013

Thanks for the great ideas so far, everyone!!!

12. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 14, 2013

What about making a little Baggie sort of like our little welcome goodie bags to our students. You could come up with either a thank you Baggie for police/firefighters or a Baggie full of stuff for encouragement to give out to homeless shelter.

I'm just to tired right now to come up with a poem for either idea!

13. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 14, 2013

This is a great project to do when Earth Day rolls around. The kids decorate bags with messages for Earth Day and the grocery store packs their customer's food in the bags.

http://www.earthdaybags.org/GSfoursteps.htm